Thread: 2015 Whipple Cal closing throttle

2015 Whipple Cal closing throttle

Anybody have any tips on how to keep the throttle open on this whipple cal? It doesn't show any type of limits I can see.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2011 Mustang GT TT A6
    1998 Eclipse GSX Awd

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    i would raise some of those limiters under torque management maximum torque
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    i would raise some of those limiters under torque management maximum torque

I tried that and car didn't want to run well. I went to 755 everywhere, maybe i'll try something a little in between or only in higher rpm. thx
    2011 Mustang GT TT A6
    1998 Eclipse GSX Awd

Senior Tuner
    The air charge multiplier and maximum load tables under speed density need to be raised up. These can limit your driver demand torque request. That limits your scheduled torque and your control over it. With Engine brake torque coming out soo much higher than those, the ECU is thinking it needs to close the throttle to meet your torque request, so the pedal is the limit not anything else. If those tables don't allow your ETC torque to increase, something is limiting it.

Its very unlikely you are making 800lbft of torque, so the torque/ inverse tables could be changed some in the higher loads to get that closer to what you see on a dyno graph. I would say make your DD table look like your dyno graph then tune the model to that, but you first need to find what is limiting your torque request. you can even take a better guess at a DD table than what usually gets pulled out of Whipple calibrations. I think they heavily rely on some background logic that you might not be able to get around with HPT with out switching from the custom calibration, seeing as your request looks like its capping at 660ftlb's which is more in line with what the engines probably producing around 2.0 load or 15-16PSI boost a 3.0 pulley the smallest their calibration is setup for.

You can also manipulate your injector flow rate and MAF curve to have absolute load come out to a lower and more reasonable value and that will lower your calculated EBT values. What actual boost/ MAP are you seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    The air charge multiplier and maximum load tables under speed density need to be raised up. These can limit your driver demand torque request. That limits your scheduled torque and your control over it. With Engine brake torque coming out soo much higher than those, the ECU is thinking it needs to close the throttle to meet your torque request, so the pedal is the limit not anything else. If those tables don't allow your ETC torque to increase, something is limiting it.

Its very unlikely you are making 800lbft of torque, so the torque/ inverse tables could be changed some in the higher loads to get that closer to what you see on a dyno graph. I would say make your DD table look like your dyno graph then tune the model to that, but you first need to find what is limiting your torque request. you can even take a better guess at a DD table than what usually gets pulled out of Whipple calibrations. I think they heavily rely on some background logic that you might not be able to get around with HPT with out switching from the custom calibration, seeing as your request looks like its capping at 660ftlb's which is more in line with what the engines probably producing around 2.0 load or 15-16PSI boost a 3.0 pulley the smallest their calibration is setup for.

You can also manipulate your injector flow rate and MAF curve to have absolute load come out to a lower and more reasonable value and that will lower your calculated EBT values. What actual boost/ MAP are you seeing?
    Actual Boost Is 17psi. It's one pulley down from the stock one it comes with.

I might try hacking the injector size smaller and bring down the airflow as you suggested. I really think this is something that is in the whipple calibration though seeing how it shows no limits.
    2011 Mustang GT TT A6
    1998 Eclipse GSX Awd

Senior Tuner
    One pulley from what they come with is usually 11-12 psi. You must have a oversized lower pulley. Stock Whipple calibration is only good for 16-17, that a 3.0 pulley gives, at the most before you run into it's limits. Above that you push the limits of the stock fuel system, the transmission, even the engine internals as great as they are are being pushed extremely hard. Wouldn't expect Whipple to calibrate pay what they would think it's physically possible.

If this is a calibration for a newer GEN 5 blower, they may have gone a bit higher then the old gen2/3 stuff, but not a ton as they cater it towards everything else being stock and having physical limits. They don't calibrate for crazy power super custom setups.

Your going to have lots of issues with that file.

Do you have a way of getting the latest cal from Whipple? if not you can ask hptuners to open up a bunch of tables for you but they will likely not get you everything you need in a short amount of time.

The easiest way is get the latest Whipple file and turn off all of the user adjustable limits with the flight control tool or tomahawk tool and then take your new read and and start there.

Advanced Tuner
    Agree with Murfie under speed desnity change max allowed value for inferred MAP from MIN to 64, and Max allowable wheel torque error set it to something around 75000.