Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Active shutter delete

I can confirm that blindsquirrel is right about GM's calibration method. When the first brackets were made for a fleet of GMCs (that had the shutters removed for their red and blue emergency lights) most of them did not work right and set codes and ran the fans. I went through each one of them to find the problems with their designs. Some had crushed the white gear that pivots in the middle so that it did not pivot well anymore. They had used a 6-sided metal piece through the middle of the white plastic gear so some of them broke the plastic teeth on the white plastic center gear. Epoxy resolved that. Then I just had to cut a little at a time from the bell-crank until the number of degrees of rotation was correct. Sounds like you'll get it soon.

I've had aftermarket actuators that had too much geartrain slop/flex inside and would just skip teeth at the endpoints instead of binding up and stopping. They'd move the doors full travel just fine but would never pass calibration, because current would never spike high enough to be detected.

On a semi-related note: Who ever asked for all this garbage? Heated seats? Heated steering wheels? Keyless ignition? If you really truly need those things you shouldn't be allowed to drive. Catering to the lowest common denominator, the laziest, dumbest, most unfit customers and then forcing the bullshit gadgets onto everyone by making them non-optional. So glad I no longer have to work on that crap every day.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I've had aftermarket actuators that had too much geartrain slop/flex inside and would just skip teeth at the endpoints instead of binding up and stopping. They'd move the doors full travel just fine but would never pass calibration, because current would never spike high enough to be detected.

On a semi-related note: Who ever asked for all this garbage? Heated seats? Heated steering wheels? Keyless ignition? If you really truly need those things you shouldn't be allowed to drive. Catering to the lowest common denominator, the laziest, dumbest, most unfit customers and then forcing the bullshit gadgets onto everyone by making them non-optional. So glad I no longer have to work on that crap every day.
    I take it you worked at a GM dealership? lol Im still stuck at one, so I know the feeling trust me. Even more fun now, with all the electric vehicles coming in......

Potential Tuner

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by niman View Post
    That makes sense too - appreciate your insight.
    85 degrees (approx) was first try actuator jig-1.GIF and, on first test, apparently works spot on - a polycarbonate sandwich.

Before trying this i'd had the "Authorised" dealer hook it up to their software (115 GBP) which had reported all sorts of sensor fault codes (including ambient temp even though i'd just replaced it) and around 1300 GBP to replace the AGS assembly/sundries without any guarantee that further work would would not be required.

So, a BIG preliminary, thanks again

Of slight interest, from cold the actuator simply goes from one stop to the other then stays at the grill "closed" position. However, if ignition is turned off then on again in a short period the actuator simply moves in one direction to "closed".

PS: I haven't yet reviewed to see if it steps toward the "open" position at high engine temp/etc yet (or even if fan turns on then etc)
    Last edited by niman; 08-24-2023 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BDPhoto519 View Post
    This is probably a stupid question...

But could you not just completely remove them and just disable the code in HPT?
    The fins are removable. You could just pull fins and keep the rest of the assembly in place. Shouldn?t have an issue. I don?t fight lights or codes. Just a thought.