Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active shutter delete

Active shutter delete

So threw some research I've found removing the active shutters inst as simple as it may seem.

You have to keep the stepper motor and build a small bracket to keep it within limits effectively a hard stop.

Then disable code P059F in diagnostics.

If you don't keep the stepper motor hooked up you'll get a U1510

I took a piece of plastic from my grill swap and built a small bracket to hold 2 self tapping screws and make hard stops for the #8 Allen key I ground up.

Thought this might help someone else out. I know they may grant .01 mileage but my IAT's with my supercharger are always around 80-125 even when its 50 degrees out this should help with airflow over the inner-cooler.

P_20201027_000159.jpgP_20201027_000310.jpg

Tuner in Training
    This is probably a stupid question...

But could you not just completely remove them and just disable the code in HPT?
    2018 Camaro 2SS A8 Redline Edition

Tried that tosses a U code and says the A/C System comms are broken.

Advanced Tuner
    On my 2017 Silverado I just left the motor hooked up and zip tied it out of the way.
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

I understood it that it had to have hard stops or it would still throw the U code

If you make a bracket that still allows about 80 degrees of rotation, you don't have to disable the P059F but of course, if you are going to tune it anyways...

I service a fleet of these that run special lights in the grille so they just threw away the motors... for them I turned off P059F and U1510. I did not see any problem with the AC on any of them. For the rigs that I caught in time (before they threw away the motors) I just made up a bracket that limits motion to about 80 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    If you make a bracket that still allows about 80 degrees of rotation, you don't have to disable the P059F but of course, if you are going to tune it anyways...

I service a fleet of these that run special lights in the grille so they just threw away the motors... for them I turned off P059F and U1510. I did not see any problem with the AC on any of them. For the rigs that I caught in time (before they threw away the motors) I just made up a bracket that limits motion to about 80 degrees.
    Nice didnt think disabling the U1510 code would be ok as if you pull the power from the TCS module you have a cascading failure that disables the trailer brakes.

If I remember right, the U1510 is just the PCM reporting that for a moment the AC control module got offended with the absence of the grille control motor. I kinda remember like it may have forced the cooling fan to run on high until I disabled the code but afterward all was OK.

Potential Tuner

What did you use to delete the code? Can it be deleted permanently? I have to delete mine every other time I start my truck.

This is an HPTuners forum... Via HPTuners you can disable the code so that the PCM does not get upset by the absence of the grille motor.

Engine Diag>DTCs>find the code and change to "No error reported"

Potential Tuner
    This is an HPTuners forum... Via HPTuners you can disable the code so that the PCM does not get upset by the absence of the grille motor.

Engine Diag>DTCs>find the code and change to "No error reported"
    Yes, I asked because I reached out to HPTuners and they said it could be deleted however it?s likely to come back, which is the problem that I?m currently having.

Maybe they misunderstood your question. Maybe they thought that you were just talking about erasing the code with a scanner which of course will not work as the error is still being committed. If you follow the instruction that I gave the code cannot come back. Or you can make a bracket that allows the grille motor to turn 80 degrees.

Potential Tuner
    does anyone know how many credits it will cost me to do this same thing? only removing the air shutter code and the ac code it throws

Quote Originally Posted by beckauto5909 View Post
    does anyone know how many credits it will cost me to do this same thing? only removing the air shutter code and the ac code it throws
    https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/gm-tuning/

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    thank you this is what i was looking for.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for this.

Both my radiator and AGS were recently damaged (I didn't know I had an AGS when this occurred). A local mechanic replaced the radiator and discarded the AGS - he then simply tie wrapped the actuator to the underside of the engine compartment.

Now, on return of the vehile, on turning the key ignition I see the actuator hex drive turn clockwise then anticlockwise - this appears to repeat at least 4 times and then the fan starts.

If I make the the little bracket, with allen key and little open/close position self tapping screws at less than 90 degree start/stop travel, do I need to be concerned about the initial position that the allen key is inserted into the actuator?

If it's like any other GM actuator, it'll have to be within approximately the same range of travel as it had when installed. Outside whatever tolerance they have it programmed for, it will fail calibration.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    If it's like any other GM actuator, it'll have to be within approximately the same range of travel as it had when installed. Outside whatever tolerance they have it programmed for, it will fail calibration.
    Understood - thanks.

I'll make a series of brackets with total travel ranging from 70 to 90 degrees in 5 degree increments and try those.

To be sure - do you imagine the calibration routine simply looks for the hard stop (at fully "open" and fully "closed") via some sort of torque sensor (to determine skipping)?

Typically they find the end points by looking for the current increase. On the HVAC stuff, they run up against the stop several times to get confirmation, then cycle full travel the other direction and do the same. The positions where the current increase happens is recorded as the endpoints.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Typically they find the end points by looking for the current increase. On the HVAC stuff, they run up against the stop several times to get confirmation, then cycle full travel the other direction and do the same. The positions where the current increase happens is recorded as the endpoints.
    That makes sense too - appreciate your insight.