Thread: Complaint - MVPI2 and VCM Editor - Opening Tunes!

Complaint - MVPI2 and VCM Editor - Opening Tunes!

I'm pretty annoyed by this.

Having to have the MVPI2 plugged in just to open and view tunes. WHAT A PAIN! Why? ......... Never used to be that way on the original MVPI.... I don't keep it with me at all times, why can't we just open tunes and view them? ......

We have a serial number, the licenses etc. I wanted to let my mate view his tune I pulled off his car and do his own homework remotely onto a VM.... but can't as we need the stupid thing plugged in at all times.

I doubt there will a be fix for this........ as it's just how it is now for some reason.
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.

Advanced Tuner
    Issue for me has been the internet connection required to open a tune/flash a file. Phone hotspot is a solution, but it's still a little annoying.

Is this something new that just started? Mine doesn't work that way, using VCM Suite 4.8.7. I flash and log with a laptop, leave the MPVI2 in the car, and edit files at my desktop PC. MPVI2 never gets plugged into the desktop. Files open just fine.

Senior Tuner
    once u resync mpvi2 on the laptop ur using should be fine

All mine work fine without the interface plugged in, I've never seen the issue the others are describing.

What platform is this happening on? Would it maybe help to, oh I don't know, POST THE FILE this happens with? Or ANY file you have that you can't get to open? So somebody else who doesn't have this problem can try to open it and see if... oh why bother.

Advanced Tuner
    Definitely a thing on newer cars. No idea about what controllers specifically. Here's one of my files if you want to see what I'm talking about.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    and for what it's worth, I'm not really complaining about it. I assume HPT has a good reason to do this, even if it is a little bit of a hassle for me. I am not aware of the reason for this change or added check on the newer stuff.

File Not Supported

Definition failed to load. You will be unable to edit this file.
    Please e-mail this file to [email protected] with a VCM Suite
    Info log.
    So what happens when you contact support?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    So what happens when you contact support?
    Its an Audi file, which are only supported via MPVI2 so support would tell you to purchase an MPVI2 in order to open the file. The file opens fine once you connect an MPVI2 device.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Its an Audi file, which are only supported via MPVI2 so support would tell you to purchase an MPVI2 in order to open the file. The file opens fine once you connect an MPVI2 device.
    Is the reason for the online download/check to some sort of security thing to ensure the MPVI2 is legit or is it having to reach out to the server to download some definition files or something? Just curious.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    Is the reason for the online download/check to some sort of security thing to ensure the MPVI2 is legit or is it having to reach out to the server to download some definition files or something? Just curious.
    There are multiple reasons for this.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    well that certainly clears it up........ lol.

Potential Tuner
    Agreed about having to be on-line

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    There are multiple reasons for this.
    What are they?
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner
    Mostly to protect their IP (Intellectual Property, ie their hardware and it's firmware, the software, etc). They got burned like most software developers do when their product gets big and people find ways around their means of protecting their IP. The HPT files are encrypted, as are the debug logs; all of it. It stops people from using their software for free. Now, I know that I have to sync my interface at least 1 time with the laptop if it's a new install, or it won't open tunes. After I sync it, I can usually work with files I have never touched and have. never reflashed or anything. Someone needs help, send a file from the other side of the country, it opens fine. if it's a fresh install then it won't open them. I don't know about SUPER new vehicles, but I had no problem tuning a 2019 Cruze without ever having seen nor hooked up my hardware. I went to use a virtual machine on my in-house hypervisor to edit a later file, and it didn't work until I synced my interface to the VM; then it worked fine without the interface.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    Issue for me has been the internet connection required to open a tune/flash a file. Phone hotspot is a solution, but it's still a little annoying.
    This has been one of my biggest complaints so far as well. I just flat don't have internet everywhere I tune.
    2017 JKU Rubicon: Purple, long arms, tons, 40s, Banks CAI, Borla cat-back, TD2/HPT tuned, daily.
    2017 GMC Sierra SLT: 6.2/ 8spd. Just getting started on it...

Tuner
    So, Again, you don't HAVE to be online every time you tune something or open a file. I regularly open files without an internet connection. You ONLY need to sync your interface to the computer you have HPT installed on, and then you don't HAVE to have it plugged in. My general workflow when tuning a car is that I will go out and datalog, then head back home. When I hit the hut, I have a script automatically upload any changes in my HPT folder to google drive. Then I sit down at my workstation and open up VCM Editor in a virtual machine (win 10 on a VM, unraid server, because I run a hackintosh). Once I am done with that, I save it, and within seconds it's synced back on my laptop. Usually before I can actually walk back over to the car.

Now, the first time I used this setup it was crying about not being licensed or whatever. So i plugged in my interface to the computer, synced it in HPT in the VM, and boom. It worked. I know this works very well, because my interface is semi-perm wired into my car under the dash. It's ALWASYS in there, I tune quite a bit, and never have to plug it in unless I need to put credits on it or reformat my system (obvious logging and writing, but you should be able to open logs and edit files as long as you prove to VCM Suite you actually own hardware... otherwise, lets say I don't own hardware, but can tune? I can make a very good living just editing peoples files, but using HPT software without paying. That is likely the reasoning behind the resyncing.).

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninDusette View Post
    So, Again, you don't HAVE to be online every time you tune something or open a file. I regularly open files without an internet connection. You ONLY need to sync your interface to the computer you have HPT installed on, and then you don't HAVE to have it plugged in. My general workflow when tuning a car is that I will go out and datalog, then head back home. When I hit the hut, I have a script automatically upload any changes in my HPT folder to google drive. Then I sit down at my workstation and open up VCM Editor in a virtual machine (win 10 on a VM, unraid server, because I run a hackintosh). Once I am done with that, I save it, and within seconds it's synced back on my laptop. Usually before I can actually walk back over to the car.

Now, the first time I used this setup it was crying about not being licensed or whatever. So i plugged in my interface to the computer, synced it in HPT in the VM, and boom. It worked. I know this works very well, because my interface is semi-perm wired into my car under the dash. It's ALWASYS in there, I tune quite a bit, and never have to plug it in unless I need to put credits on it or reformat my system (obvious logging and writing, but you should be able to open logs and edit files as long as you prove to VCM Suite you actually own hardware... otherwise, lets say I don't own hardware, but can tune? I can make a very good living just editing peoples files, but using HPT software without paying. That is likely the reasoning behind the resyncing.).
    You're probably not working with the newer vehicle files that require it. Not a re-sync issue. Interface connected and internet connection required to open any file on my vw/audi MQB stuff. Internet required to flash any file.

Tuner
    Yeah. I'm not. I'd say I probably would have seen it in the docs somewhere but considering they never ever update the docs..... Like ever.... How would an end user know until they hit that point.... It would probably not be a surprise if users were told to rtfm and didn't get slapped with a set of pages from like 5 years ago on a page that looks like it came straight out of 2005. Haha
    "Insert some inspirational or smart*** quote here..." - Some Dude
    software_engineer.net_sec.linux_hero
    www.dusette.net
    RoninDusette@github

Advanced Tuner
    I was messing around with this some more in the car the other day. It seems to only require internet again to open files if I open a new file with a different OS, or something like that. I was able to edit my currently open tune file, save new copies etc without internet.

But I still needed internet to flash the car and thus hotspot. Inconvenient but as just a DIYer messing with my own cars, it's a small hassle I can deal with I guess.