Thread: 10r80 logging config for heat troubleshooting

Tuner in Training

10r80 logging config for heat troubleshooting

Hey all,
    Had 2019 Mustang GT trans rebuilt with Raybestos GPZ clutches...manually set all groups to specs......

This trans was handling 720whp and was just starting to slip a tiny amount fully hooked at track, tore down it barely had a few marks on some steels...zero clutch material or shavings looked brand new inside 10k miles...

Picked up from shop...thought I smelled fluid never got above 8th that even next day was letting adaptive learn all was fine though 5 degree or so hotter than normal....jumped up on interstate and in 65 degree weather it went from 180 trans temp to 220 in less than 10 miles in 10th gear locked in....usually in this scenario it would cool and be around 178 degrees....thought I felt a slight bind between 9th to 10th.....

Cooled while I waited to turn around at overpass and then right back to 220 in 10 miles back toward home....stall should be locked rpm was 2000 at 80mph like usual...

Weirdly, it cools right off at say 60mph either in 8th/9th OR me forcing 10th ( to low rpm for it really) didn't drive it immediately up like 75-80 did....

Was hoping someone might could provide a decent config for troubleshooting overheating, including slips ect....this trans has literally never been above 187 even on back to back 1/4 miles 0-143mph pulls....I seen it 203 ONCE in 95 degree heat after burnout and full pass while already being heat soaked...

I smelled a little burning fluid like it was purging ect....

Thanks for any help im 3 engines and now 2 ( maybe 3 ) trans into this thing with 10k miles.....

Advanced Tuner
    If you know your car that well and you think the trans is overheating then it is. If the TCC is locked I would think it would start cooling down especially in 65 degree weather.

I have a 6R80 with a 3000 stall and only when the converter is slipping a lot under a quarter mile pull does it get over 200, but never even close to 220. Normal is 180-200 for me in the deep south heat. My friends 2018 GT - 10R80 car is the same.. it runs 180-200 normally. If it's 60s outside it's even better.

Driving with the TCC locked should net you cool temps. Seems like either the fluid is low or you have something creating heat via improper clearance.

You could log solenoid pressures and line pressure but if it's mechanical it may not help you. Did you report it to shop? A quick drain of the fluid and then inspection for metal flakes or shavings would seem to be in order to determine a problem.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Tuner in Training
    This ended up being the trans OVER full...by about 2qts...( it was 1.5qts low from factory pre build)...

I shut it down after that episode...warmed it up and took it to shop, we pumped it down to correct level its been PERFECT on heat levels since...
    I was under there with em and seen it, for instance I just made a 2hr trip in cool weather 150....I did one still mid 70s out and the typical 178-183 it normally runs at cruise.....

Thank you..hope this helps everyone not just low fluids can make this one hot, it seems super sensitive to fluid level, while simultaneously making it hard as possible to check haha....