Thread: L83 cam swap. Now 85kpa idle. P228d high FRP

Potential Tuner

L83 cam swap. Now 85kpa idle. P228d high FRP

So this is far from my first engine build, long story short buddies 2014 silverado dropped #7 lifter. Did full texas speed stage 1 kit, lifters,dod delete, vvt phaser lock out. Checked double checked and checked timing again, truck barely wants to idle, intake kpa is showing 75-85kpa idling and when in gear goes up to 100kpa, checked pushrod length, had intake off several times rechecking things. all new gaskets. performed the throttle relearn but the truck after about 20 seconds off a cold start goes into reduced power with a p228D rail pressure to high, (i see it at 2500psi) at times. checked wires to pcm, fine, replaced high pressure pump per GM flow chart, still throws code and stays well above 2000psi after running. this is my first aftermarket cam in a GEN 5 and i know the TSP gen 1 should damn near idle like stock. ANYONE got any idea what the hell we are missing or may have ran into it. 35 years of experience between the two of us, just at a complete loss for what is happening right now...shit cam???

SIDE NOTE. once off cold start you have to fuel cut to get it to start

That cam should idle around 45map kpA around a 700rpm idle

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    A couples of things to check ....

The 2014 L83 will use a 4 wire Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. This is located near the rear of the driver side fuel rail. Check to see if the wiring or connector was damaged, or if it is not completely plugged in.

Also, GM used the same inline connector for both of the "mini-harnesses", that connect to the main harness, at the back of both cylinder heads - these can get crossed - and plugged into the wrong side of the engine (wrong bank).

You have likely checked all connectors, but I would recommend going back through them all one at a time - disconnecting them, and ensuring when plugged in, that they are fully seated.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    post your file and log
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    im having a hell of a time trying to attach anything on here to be honest...it says uploading then just disappears, this is just the first cold start with some basic adjustments and turning off the rear O2s etc. , i think im just screwed lol ill eventually figure it out. really considering just throwing a FRP sensor at it... but you can see the kpa values are insane... i did the relearn throttle body procedure and all a few times to make sure its ok. all connections are good. OHMed out the harness to pcm. gave the MAP a good ol sucky sucky and registered 45kpa on laptop..its reading correct...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    SlomoLS did you ever find a solution?? We are having this identical problem after delete and cam swap and have beat our heads against a wall

Quote Originally Posted by Bcutler View Post
    SlomoLS did you ever find a solution?? We are having this identical problem after delete and cam swap and have beat our heads against a wall
    If your Kpa is super high at idle it could be possible your timing is off by a tooth. I had this happen due my cam dowel not fully seating I believe it was bent in shipping. It took a month eventually the phaser wore enough to allow the cam to advance enough kpa was 85-90 at idle basically sounded like a struggling sewing machine. it would run somewhat normal otherwise. It had me chasing dragons I knew I had my timing marks aligned during the initially.

Even with the engine pulled it wasn?t easy to get the even brand new phaser to seat on my
    cam dowel. I replace the the timing tensioner/lower timing gear/chain also. You really have to have all the tension locked if it binds at all you?ll have an issue. I run a 0 degree lockout I wish now I would have done a vvt delete cover/LS3 timing gear/chain they have 1 or 3 bolt options this really eliminates this issue because you?re able know if the dowel is in.
    Last edited by A_Texas90; 07-12-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Having exactly same issue did you find a solution to this?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Texas90 View Post
    If your Kpa is super high at idle it could be possible your timing is off by a tooth. I had this happen due my cam dowel not fully seating I believe it was bent in shipping. It took a month eventually the phaser wore enough to allow the cam to advance enough kpa was 85-90 at idle basically sounded like a struggling sewing machine. it would run somewhat normal otherwise. It had me chasing dragons I knew I had my timing marks aligned during the initially.

Even with the engine pulled it wasn?t easy to get the even brand new phaser to seat on my
    cam dowel. I replace the the timing tensioner/lower timing gear/chain also. You really have to have all the tension locked if it binds at all you?ll have an issue. I run a 0 degree lockout I wish now I would have done a vvt delete cover/LS3 timing gear/chain they have 1 or 3 bolt options this really eliminates this issue because you?re able know if the dowel is in.
    G

Having this issue :/

Potential Tuner
    Any updates to this?
    Just did a afm/dod delete on a 2014 6.2l silverado and am fighting the p0089 and p228d code myself that popped up after a few start ups and idle time getting truck up to temp, then after a 5 mile or so test drive.