Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nothing but problems with my NGC3

Advanced Tuner
    G comes before H, so the G would update to H like the screen shot shows.

If find it odd that FCA shows your calibrations both to be for a 1500 and not a 2500.

But I agree with you. Support is either completely clueless or giving you the run around.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    G comes before H, so the G would update to H like the screen shot shows.

If find it odd that FCA shows your calibrations both to be for a 1500 and not a 2500.

But I agree with you. Support is either completely clueless or giving you the run around.
    Both computers are in fact from a 2500, especially the one in my truck lol.
    however, if that's the case that means I can keep trying computers from a 1500 too.

I'm determined to somehow make this work, even if I have to rewire my entire truck to a 2008 or something.

so finally, after much bullish, support updated VCM Suite to a new beta that now reads my ECU/TCM properly and provides me with many more PIDs. There are still some missing but now the issue is that I don't know which ones are actually important and needed, and which ones aren't available simply because they aren't available for the 2005 year.

Still no gear/tire wizard which I'm hoping support can sort out next.

another thing I'd like to learn and do, is figure out how to get the bin from my ECU so I can use tunerpro and mess around with that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Killavolt View Post
    another thing I'd like to learn and do, is figure out how to get the bin from my ECU so I can use tunerpro and mess around with that.
    TechAuthority website...

serious? You need a subscription though, which is fine, but I can't seem to see how much it costs or what's needed

I also found out that the gear/tire wizard is not compatible with my truck, so they say, but that honestly doesn't make much sense to me because other 2005 NGC3's have it available to them....

so I guess I won't have that feature and will still need to use two tuners, but it looks like everything else might work going forward.

Banned
    Unless someone else has the binary file they will give you, yea, seriously...

Doesn?t cost that much for a 3 day subscription.

Honestly you need to approach things with lowered expectations... Not every single vehicle is the same and will not have every single thing available as the next vehicle and not every single vehicle will have everything supported. If there?s something you would like that you don?t see, ask support if they can look into adding it, they will get to it. Flooding the forum with complaints that it?s just not doing what you want doesn?t do squat but fill the forum with your complaints. Not trying to be a dick here, but there are better and more constructive ways to go about things. It?s not a perfect world and nothing is perfect in it.

I don't think you're being a dick, I understand, I didn't mean to fill the forum with complaints, and that was never my intention. I made this specific post to mainly find out if others had the same problem, or if there was some kind of solution or something I was missing.
    Yes, I've been a little miffed about this situation, but it isn't because the tuner "doesn't work" perse.
    I did my research before making the purchase, I tried talking to people but that doesn't generally get anywhere since there are too many parrots out on the internet, I also made sure to even contact HPT before I made the purchase, checked their compatible vehicles list and made sure with them what was compatible because my truck obviously isn't fully supported when it comes to the transmission features.
    Sure enough my truck is on the list, though on a minor capacity.

It was a little upsetting when I found out I couldn't really datalog anything, or follow videos to help me learn about it.

What was actually upsetting though isn't that the tuner didn't really work, but because I work hard to achieve what little victories I do get in life, and those are few and far between.
    I had spent years looking for an 05 because in all my "research" so many people had said "oh yeah, the 05's are a great year, lots of tuning you can do it" and I did want to avoid CANBUS but that's moot now.
    Imagine finally finding that one vehicle that isn't a rusted out piece of junk and is actually a nice truck. I sold a business to buy this truck, and when I found out I couldn't do the things I had researched I could do I was honestly devastated. it was like a dream being crushed.

I will never be able to afford to buy another vehicle, or more specifically, I'll never be able to afford any newer year of truck and I most definitely will never be able to afford another 2500 which is what I wanted, on top of that this one has no real value as it's a rebuilt, so I'll never get what I paid out of it, and I've spent $4k on an exhaust system that I will most certainly never be able to get back.....so even if I traded this one in, I'd be getting a "lesser" vehicle that I can't put the 35's, lift, and exhaust system on due to financial constraints.

I'm somewhat "Stuck" with this one which I'm not unhappy about. I struggle with depression and mental health issues, and this entire situation has just been a struggle, such is my life.....let's put it this way, if I were playing poker, life is such that I would end up with a Joker in every hand when the Joker isn't even in the deck lol.

All of that being said, this post has mainly been for documenting and if anyone else in the future ever ends up having the same issue.

Not to mention that HPT has fixed much of the issue at this point.
    The truly upsetting part of it all was just the runaround. I was told one thing and accepted it, then they went back on that completely, and suddenly it was a different problem, which once again wasn't the actual problem, then it started getting really weird in the emails when in mid conversation I was met with a greeting email asking me to provide details of the problem as if I was suddenly handed over to someone else that had no knowledge of it at all.

As for techauthority, I poked around the site, did a VIN search for my truck and I didn't get any results that appeared to be any kind of bin or flash file.....obviously there are parts of the site that I can't access but I do see the menu for Mode$06 test PIDs but I'm not sure that's relevant.

If anyone could confirm I could get a bin file from there I'd be more than happy to sign up for a few days and get what I'm looking for, I just don't want to spend money again and find out it was for nothing.

I don't have high expectations honestly, I think I could be forgiven for expecting that it would be compatible with my truck since it's listed on their compatible vehicles list and that really was my only expectation. It's obvious there was a problem that wasn't really on my end because when they released the beta of VCM suite, and it worked with my truck I even had more options available for actual tuning not just data logging before.

Prior to the beta I didn't even have the section available to adjust my pedal response and it's now there and that's just the one example I noticed straight off.
    gear/tire wizard not compatible??
    ok, I can live with that, the only conundrum is that the one singular function my ancient FlashPaq does have access to on my truck is to change the tire size, and if that old thing can do only that one thing, then why is something far more advanced not capable of accessing it?
    But since the FlashPaq can do it I can simply use that to change the tire size and go forward with the MPVI2 for everything else.

Potential Tuner
    serious? You need a subscription though, which is fine, but I can't seem to see how much it costs or what's needed

I also found out that the gear/tire wizard is not compatible with my truck, so they say, but that honestly doesn't make much sense to me because other 2005 NGC3's have it available to them....

so I guess I won't have that feature and will still need to use two tuners, but it looks like everything else might work going forward.
    are you able to download/flash your tune? i have an 05 jeep GC 4.7l and it won't even read my tune

Tuner in Training

Why not just use hptuners to tune with since you already have that? Just open the editor and make a read of your PCM. Then you can poke around in there and see what you can edit. I would guess that in tunerpro you would have to get that device to make a read of your PCM too similar to HPT. I would doubt that the official flash file from chrysler would be of any use in tunerpro, just like it is of no use in HPT.

If you want that file though, I can give it to you but i am sure it would be useless to you.

If you would like your PCM reflashed with the original programming from Chrysler, I can do that for you. I can even delete the SKIM so you can use regular keys if you wish. I am in Canada too.

I'm going through the same nightmare. Bought a used NGC4 for my 08 Dakota and HPT error says its locked. Contacted HPT support and was told it must have had a tuner on it previously and needs to go to the dealer. Took it to the dealer and they could not update the file. Bought a second used ECU and have the same problem and again HPT says its had a previous tuner on it and its locked to that tuner. Really, two stock Dakotas at the wreckers with locked ECU's! I have been able to connect to both ECU's with the scanner software as well as AutoEnginuity software to change the Vin #'s. After not having further replies from HPT I installed an older NGC3 and was able to download the stock file. I bought the credits and "tuned" it but now get the error "controller init: not ready" so it wont take the tuned file. So three ECU's and still no joy.

I too am battling a similar problem. I managed to get a 06 Sebring PCM into my 04 Trep and working with the dealer swapping VINs. They
    weren't sure and a little skeptical but it works, I drive it, but HPT reads very few PIDs 22-ECU and 3-TCU even though they say 04-10 Sebrings
    are supported. This automatically leads me to believe that:

A) The Sebring has very crippled support and they didn't fully map the PCM,
    but it doesn't say that in the vehicle list or..

B) The mapping of the PCM is entirely dependent on the label of the OS or VIN
    rejecting anything not in the supported list. It'll "fail to start" from what I get.

I'm back and forth with emails and I believe I got the same "Eric guy" at the moment.. after another guy named Chris which actually bothered
    to ask for an info log, and the physical label numbers on the PCM and try to see if those numbers can work. Turned out they won't since the
    original PCM is NGC1 hardware. Fine I understand that, but this 06 Sebring PCM should be fully supported.

Well, I'm waiting for another email if any. I hope I get the Chris guy back since he responds somewhat promptly. Like he sounds like he tries at least lol.
    04 Intrepid 2.7-Stock
    98 XJ 2dr 5spd-stock
    88 XJ 2dr 5spd-boosted 4.7 stroker

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJeep View Post
    I too am battling a similar problem. I managed to get a 06 Sebring PCM into my 04 Trep and working with the dealer swapping VINs. They
    weren't sure and a little skeptical but it works, I drive it, but HPT reads very few PIDs 22-ECU and 3-TCU even though they say 04-10 Sebrings
    are supported. This automatically leads me to believe that:

A) The Sebring has very crippled support and they didn't fully map the PCM,
    but it doesn't say that in the vehicle list or..

B) The mapping of the PCM is entirely dependent on the label of the OS or VIN
    rejecting anything not in the supported list. It'll "fail to start" from what I get.

I'm back and forth with emails and I believe I got the same "Eric guy" at the moment.. after another guy named Chris which actually bothered
    to ask for an info log, and the physical label numbers on the PCM and try to see if those numbers can work. Turned out they won't since the
    original PCM is NGC1 hardware. Fine I understand that, but this 06 Sebring PCM should be fully supported.

Well, I'm waiting for another email if any. I hope I get the Chris guy back since he responds somewhat promptly. Like he sounds like he tries at least lol.
    Your problem is because your car's electronics are designed to use NGC1 hardware using the SCI-B protocol. You are using an 06 NGC3 CAN hardware which, for 2006 has both SCI-B and CANbus connections. It is designed to use Canbus to operate. HPTuners knows that this PCM is CANbus so it has only enabled functionality on a CAN network since that is the protocol an 06 Sebring is designed to use. The fact that the early CAN modules also had SCI-B connections, allows you to run it in your SCI car but it was not intended for this and so you will not be able to tune it. You are better off getting an NGC3 module from an 04 or 05 which are NGC3 SCI (pre-canbus).That way you will have access to all of the PIDs.
    Last edited by Rockhound; 09-02-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    Your problem is because your car's electronics are designed to use NGC1 hardware using the SCI-B protocol. You are using an 06 NGC3 CAN hardware which, for 2006 has both SCI-B and CANbus connections. It is designed to use Canbus to operate. HPTuners knows that this PCM is CANbus so it has only enabled functionality on a CAN network since that is the protocol an 06 Sebring is designed to use. The fact that the early CAN modules also had SCI-B connections, allows you to run it in your SCI car but it was not intended for this and so you will not be able to tune it. You are better off getting an NGC3 module from an 04 or 05 which are NGC3 SCI (pre-canbus).That way you will have access to all of the PIDs.
    They could have told me that from the beginning honestly since I hadn't done anything at that particular time and I would have went back to get an appropriate PCM instead of burning this one.
    But that's over now so the next thing is, can I "bench" this PCM to access it or do I need the appropriate car as well to try and recover the cost of vin swapping the 06 PCM?

P.S. I just got a email recently about this thread, I completely forgot I started this lol.
    Last edited by JohnJeep; 09-26-2021 at 09:22 AM.
    04 Intrepid 2.7-Stock
    98 XJ 2dr 5spd-stock

Tuner in Training
    The HP guys are super knowledgeable and will know this, but they deal with a lot of various car makes and models and will not remember immediately when CAN was introduced by Chrysler and which cars had it when. They also may not be aware that the early CAN modules had both the new CAN standard as well as the old bus. I know because I only deal with Chrysler/dodge/jeep PCMs so it is my business to know.

Anyway, yes you can bench flash it and have full access. But that will be a pain in the behind. My advice is to get one that will work better in your car. Yeah, it will cost more, but it will be worth it. But, whatever works for you.
    Last edited by Rockhound; 09-29-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Rockhound, I sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    The HP guys are super knowledgeable and will know this, but they deal with a lot of various car makes and models and will not remember immediately when CAN was introduced by Chrysler and which cars had it when. They also may not be aware that the early CAN modules had both the new CAN standard as well as the old bus. I know because I only deal with Chrysler/dodge/jeep PCMs so it is my business to know.

Anyway, yes you can bench flash it and have full access. But that will be a pain in the behind. My advice is to get one that will work better in your car. Yeah, it will cost more, but it will be worth it. But, whatever works for you.

I like to fiddle with stuff so I bench it first but if its gonna cost a lot I'll probably buy one of those pre-done flashed computers of the type I need.
    04 Intrepid 2.7-Stock
    98 XJ 2dr 5spd-stock

Tuner in Training
    Hi! you need any j2534 interface. you also need to download the Chrysler Flash Application program.
    I can send the necessary files for updating the stock firmware using this application to email, and I will tell you in which folder they need to be put so that the program installs the update.
    if the last update is already installed, you can write it again (by the same program) to eliminate possible errors.

Tuner in Training

If anyone could confirm I could get a bin file from there I'd be more than happy to sign up for a few days and get what I'm looking for, I just don't want to spend money again and find out it was for nothing.

Hi! you need any j2534 interface. you also need to download the Chrysler Flash Application program.
    I can send the necessary files for updating the stock firmware using this application to email, and I will tell you in which folder they need to be put so that the program installs the update.
    if the last update is already installed, you can write it again (by the same program) to eliminate possible errors.2022-05-26_112213.jpg2022-05-26_112115.jpg
    Last edited by _Ynblpb_; 05-26-2022 at 03:25 AM.