Thread: Ford tuning school???

Advanced Tuner

Ford tuning school???

Have they come up with one? Would like to start messing with my 2020 5.0 but this whole SD style trucks and that they run like 20+ tables of timing and VE tables might get me confused and the trans. Would like to learn it.

Advanced Tuner
    try a coyote cookbook

Advanced Tuner
    Yes I have and it?s awesome but the new ones are SD, the maf tuning was easy.

Advanced Tuner
    The great thing about speed density is you don't have to touch anything. Speed density uses air load and then quadratic terms for each load and map point. If you aren't increasing air load IE boosting the vehicle you should just be able to put any sized filter on it without issue. Now I may be far off maybe a more experience tuner like mufie may chime in. However, the 2019 that I tuned had MAF values, so did they just change it for the 2020 specifically?

Advanced Tuner
    As for the trans, The factory shift speeds are already really great. If you go to the Transmission tuning section for ford, some very ingenious gentle man developed an excel file for the 2015-2017 6r80 and 2018+ 10r80 trans that allows you to enter your desired shift rpm and will convert it to Output shaft speed that can be coppied and pasted in the tune. Other than that the trans tuning is the same when it comes to raising limiters.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronson View Post
    The great thing about speed density is you don't have to touch anything. Speed density uses air load and then quadratic terms for each load and map point. If you aren't increasing air load IE boosting the vehicle you should just be able to put any sized filter on it without issue. Now I may be far off maybe a more experience tuner like mufie may chime in. However, the 2019 that I tuned had MAF values, so did they just change it for the 2020 specifically?
    I believe they came SD 2018+
    I have tune the GM VE table on SD. So you saying I can with a good cold air intake and the fuel error can be adjust by itself or might have a little work to do?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Ls1 View Post
    I believe they came SD 2018+
    I have tune the GM VE table on SD. So you saying I can with a good cold air intake and the fuel error can be adjust by itself or might have a little work to do?
    I know on the ecoboost platform that operates on SD you don't need to correct for filter size. I tuned an ecoboost mustang with a CAI and the fueling was perfect, but that might just be circumstantial.

Senior Tuner
    Fords SD works a little backwards from GM's. The equation predicts MAP, instead of airmass.

Either way both rely on VE to be accurate. From the map sensor and IAT sensor inputs GM graphs VE, Ford uses regression to get it.

unless you change something that effects VE(air going from the manifold into the cylinder), or go above the calibrated/ sensor MAP limits, you probably don't need to mess with it and you fuel will mostly take care of its self. Exhaust effects VE slightly, TB and CAI not significant and taken care of by MAP sensor difference.

Only F150 is speed density based - it has a MAP sensor but no MAF.

Mustang is the other way around. I'd say both are equally challenging. They can even work without MAP or MAF working solely on speed density model but no need to.

I tuned GM direct injection with power adder(turbo, blower), tuned MOPAR with cam and turbos, tuned 100's of mustangs starting from tune, manifold ending on twin turbo and custom 600hp 5.2 engine. I have to say if you are good with Ford you will master GM in no time and DOGE would seem like a joke to you.
    Last edited by veeefour; 11-10-2020 at 12:13 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Only F150 is speed density based - it has a MAP sensor but no MAF.

Mustang is the other way around. I'd say both are equally challenging. Then can even work without MAP or MAF working solely on speed density model but no need to.

I tuned GM direct injection with power adder(turbo, blower), tuned MOPAR with cam and turbos, tuned 100's of mustangs starting from tune, manifold ending on twin turbo and custom 600hp 5.2 engine. I have to say if you are good with Ford you will master GM in no time and DOGE would seem like a joke to you.
    I would like to learn this Ford platform, any ideas if there’s a school for this vehicles?