Thread: Permanent code clearing strategy

Potential Tuner

Permanent code clearing strategy

Hi everybody, first post here.

I've been reading a good amount through these forums and found some good information. Unfortunately I have not found an answer for my issue.
    I have a 2015 Chevy SS. I installed headers yesterday, no rear O2 sensors. I used an mpvi1 to turn off all the DTCs, so I thought. I unfortunately missed two, P0036 and P0056 HO2S Heater Control Circuit, when I wrote my tune. I started the car two or three times to check for exhaust leaks and they showed up, DOH! These are "permanent" codes. I hooked up the O2 sensors to the plugs (hanging in the air, still the car was still on jacks), and started it a few times, letting it run for about 10 mins in total. Codes still remain. These Heater Control circuit codes refer to the ecm not seeing the O2 heaters turning on? I wonder if I should do several drive cycles with the O2 sensors hooked up so they can heat up and such?

So my question is, and hopefully I can word it well enough to make some sense... to try to clear this code, do I have to put the DTCs reports to the original settings? (MIL on second error) or, could they clear with the DTCs reports turned off? Basically, does DTCs have anything to do with the computer seeing and fixing a fault? (then the computer sends a SES)
    I hope this makes sense.

Thank you

Arno
    Last edited by avmaviator; 10-01-2020 at 08:12 PM.

Potential Tuner
    My fix worked, codes went away 👍🏻

Potential Tuner
    I'm running into a similar issue. Customer had both p0420 & p0430 previously and erased codes and set them to no MIL error and sec disabled. Drove 400miles and monitors are all ready but codes are still permanent.

What exactly did you to fix the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by vjunior714 View Post
    I'm running into a similar issue. Customer had both p0420 & p0430 previously and erased codes and set them to no MIL error and sec disabled. Drove 400miles and monitors are all ready but codes are still permanent.

What exactly did you to fix the issue?
    Did you also disable the Catalyst test under Engine diag?