Thread: gen v oil pressure

Potential Tuner

gen v oil pressure

so on a 2017 gen v 5.3 has a oil pressure control solenoid, i have a psi wiring harness and they said it was wired in so can you change oil pressure in the tune up? reason i ask this 5.3 oil pressure is on the high side maxed out 80 lb gauge and from what i have read its on demand and will go to 87 lbs? what i want to know is how to get the oil pressure lower thanks in advance

Potential Tuner
    come on tuners i know somebody has been here and done that, can you make it go to the low side and then hi side when on demand? someone has to know

There is no oil pressure table like that.

The calibration only gives us the oil pressure warning setting and the oil temp warning settings.

In a stock vehicle the oil pressure on the variable pump typically goes from 30-50 during normal driving and will get up around 60-65 at full throttle, atleast in my 5.3 it does. Seeing 80psi is a lot and likely not good for the AFM/DoD system, I know they put oil pressure relief valves in the oil trucks so oil pressure never got that high.

Usually when the sensor goes bad on the pump is will revert to running a higher oil pressure all the time.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    this is a 2017 truck motor only had 17000 miles but i did have a camshaft put in it, and now i dont know how to lower the oil pressure, all that can be deleted has been or so i have been told, gotta figure out how to lower the oil pressure, thanks for your input

Tuner
    I would be very curious if the wiring got damaged that goes through the front cover to control the oil pump... or if it was unplugged and not plugged back in.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw3454 View Post
    this is a 2017 truck motor only had 17000 miles but i did have a camshaft put in it, and now i dont know how to lower the oil pressure, all that can be deleted has been or so i have been told, gotta figure out how to lower the oil pressure, thanks for your input
    Was the oil pump properly aligned when the new cam was installed? Were the oil pump alignment "tools" utilized?

I swapped out an L83 cam for a stock LT4 cam, used the alignment tools and triple checked oil pump alignment before buttoning things back up. Oil pressure is spot-on identical to prior to swap.

Advanced Tuner
    There actually is a table that controls the state of the variable pressure oil pump solenoid, but it might not be available in this calibration.

But, in any event, I wouldn't suggest trying to lower the oil pressure by disabling the solenoid, the fact the oil pressure is too high is indicative of another issue that should be resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    There actually is a table that controls the state of the variable pressure oil pump solenoid, but it might not be available in this calibration.

But, in any event, I wouldn't suggest trying to lower the oil pressure by disabling the solenoid, the fact the oil pressure is too high is indicative of another issue that should be resolved.
    Where is this calibration setting located?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt86 View Post
    I would be very curious if the wiring got damaged that goes through the front cover to control the oil pump... or if it was unplugged and not plugged back in.
    I 2nd this one. My l86 with a few hundred miles on it now still gets to 80PSI at high RPM WOT and the system is designed to fail to the high pressure side like 5FDP said. The wiring is on the timing cover and could have been damaged, left unhooked, or something related.

Advanced Tuner
    If DOD hardware was removed and the stock HV oil pump was left in place, then your oil pressure will certainly increase. Especially if the pressure relief in the oil pan was also removed and plugged. High oil pressure isn't necessarily a bad thing, it creates more heat in the oil, decreases MPG's and horsepower, increases turning torque on the engine and has a potential to blow out oil filters if it get way too high or possibly put the filter in full bypass. Only way to fix that would be to tear it back down and replace the oil pump.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    If DOD hardware was removed and the stock HV oil pump was left in place, then your oil pressure will certainly increase. Especially if the pressure relief in the oil pan was also removed and plugged. High oil pressure isn't necessarily a bad thing, it creates more heat in the oil, decreases MPG's and horsepower, increases turning torque on the engine and has a potential to blow out oil filters if it get way too high or possibly put the filter in full bypass. Only way to fix that would be to tear it back down and replace the oil pump.
    I think you are speaking of Gen4, right? Gen5 has a solenoid to control oil pressure/volume.
    Last edited by Dominatorstang; 02-18-2022 at 05:58 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Correct, my mistake. I had Gen 4 on the brain, I dont know much about the Gen 5's as I have no experience with them. Sorry my mistake.

I'm still wondering where this can be modified in the tune. My WOT runs to 6600/6700 rpms sees oil pressure at only 60. I'd much prefer this is closer to 80PSI, so I'd love to be able to make some adjustments. Anyone know where this calibration table is located? 2016 Camaro SS.

60psi is plenty of oil pressure.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    60 may be as much as your pump can make. the 80 I have is with a new oil pump, bearings, and 5w30. I would be happy with 60 too.
    If you want to test if you can make more than 60 psi... You can unplug the solenoid and then your pump will put out full volume and pressure because the solenoid is adjusting it down from max.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominatorstang View Post
    60 may be as much as your pump can make. the 80 I have is with a new oil pump, bearings, and 5w30. I would be happy with 60 too.
    If you want to test if you can make more than 60 psi... You can unplug the solenoid and then your pump will put out full volume and pressure because the solenoid is adjusting it down from max.

I wouldnt trust the gauge on the vehicle too much. I work for GM as a master tech. the oil pumps on these LT engines will push out 80 psi on a stock engine and will default to max pressure anytime the solenoid doesnt work. We see it alot when other places or people have had the front cover off and damage the wiring going thru the front cover, thus making the pump default to max. also, on a new pump you dont need the alignment tools, only if you take original off and plan on putting it back on. Im with them though, 60 psi is plenty.