Thread: is mpvi required?

Potential Tuner

is mpvi required?

hi there!
    is an MPVi required to use the VCM editor software? or can I use another obd2 interface cable such as one that would work with ForScan?

Looks like th eVCM editor can modify readyness O2 heater not ready codes... I'm at my wits end with this readyness stuff and would like to try the VCM software to see what I can do there with it

thoughts?

thanks!
    Mike B

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yes, our Vcm suite software is proprietary and works only with our hardware.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Yes, our Vcm suite software is proprietary and works only with our hardware.
    ok, so I have a couple of vehicles, can I use the MPVI on both of them to tune them both? or dies the device "marry" to one vehicle like the diablo tune does?

other question,

does the MPVi itself allow to manipulate the O2 sensors from ready to not ready and back again? or do I need the "pro" add on for an additional $249?

one more question,

can I tune off the Active Fuel management piece on a 2013 avalanche with the VCM suite and not have to use the pro version?

The other items that I can tune are for sure a HUGE benefit and would make the MPVi worthwhile to purchase, but really only if I can use it on multiple vehicles.... specifically Ford and Chevy.

thanks!
    Mike B

You could tune probably a few thousand vehicles if you really needed too, it does not marry to any one specific vehicle. Each vehicle/VIN/OS just has a certain credit amount it takes to license it.

I'm not sure what you mean by ready/not ready for the o2 sensors. HP Tuners lets you disable o2 sensors as well as things like fuel trims and closed loop fuel control. It won't let you just force a emissions test though, the computer itself still has to make itself pass one of those.

Yes you can turn off the AFM/DoD on that Avalanche.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You could tune probably a few thousand vehicles if you really needed too, it does not marry to any one specific vehicle. Each vehicle/VIN/OS just has a certain credit amount it takes to license it.

I'm not sure what you mean by ready/not ready for the o2 sensors. HP Tuners lets you disable o2 sensors as well as things like fuel trims and closed loop fuel control. It won't let you just force a emissions test though, the computer itself still has to make itself pass one of those.

Yes you can turn off the AFM/DoD on that Avalanche.
    So who gets the licensing fee?
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

What do you mean?

You are paying HP Tuners the money for the 2 credits or 4 credits etc etc to license a vehicle.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    how many credits needed per vehicle? just one? I have a 2013 explorer PIU and a 2013 Avalanche I'd want to use it on? 2 vehicles, means 2 credits right?

Senior Tuner
    Wrong. Look at the supported vehicle list to see how many credits per vehicle. It varies.

Potential Tuner
    wow, 2 or more credits.... that can get expensive quickly.

what happens if I get rid of a vehicle? can I write back the stock tune and free up the 2 credits? or once I use the credits are they forever tied to that vehicle's VIN?

Forever tied. You are paying to unlock the computer and you are allowed to do basically unlimited changes for whatever credit amount that initial credit amount was.

$100 is pretty cheap for doing just that. Some vehicles are more but that is just the way things are.