Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPVI2 Standalone Logging

Advanced Tuner

MPVI2 Standalone Logging

Anyone using this yet? I saw new MPVI2 standalone logging options/menus in both the latest VCM scanner beta and TrackAddict app.

Maybe it's not *quite* yet released to the masses, but curious to hear how it's performing for those who have or will be using it. Looks like it will require the "pro feature set" to be purchased to work. I'm mainly curious to see how the datalogging performance/speed compares to wired connection on PC before I buy the feature set.

Capture.PNG

Screenshot_20201107-100809.png

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    I have given it a test run, and in my Toyota application, quite a few of the PIDs that are part of the channels config file I've uploaded do not poll. I've got a ticket in. I suspect it's an application specific thing, but I'd verify the PIDs that make up your channels file do in fact load before setting off do to a logging session.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I have the same issue. My SAE and TCU PIDs make it in, but not any manufacture specific ECU PIDs.

On one of my cars, standalone logging works/starts fine, but on another, it seems to get stuck in some sort of bootup mode or whatever, and it will never allow me to log. Both work OK (other than missing PIDs) in Track Addict.

I have a ticket in also

Yep, same for me, Pretty useless, only handful of PIDs get logged on a 2010 Camaro E38, and many are SLOW. But aside from that, I noticed a bunch of new PIDs i never had before with the original MPVI, things related to body, Brake Pedal Position, TPMS pressure, Yaw Rate, Lat. Accel, ABS speed for each tire, etc. I'd rather have this stuff than all of the channels I have logged in standalone.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    Yep, same for me, Pretty useless, only handful of PIDs get logged on a 2010 Camaro E38, and many are SLOW. But aside from that, I noticed a bunch of new PIDs i never had before with the original MPVI, things related to body, Brake Pedal Position, TPMS pressure, Yaw Rate, Lat. Accel, ABS speed for each tire, etc. I'd rather have this stuff than all of the channels I have logged in standalone.
    Get a ticket in with specific info is probably your best bet. I figured mine was dorked up because I have a non-mainstream ECU/platform on hp tuners... I'm surprised to hear of issues on E38. Works great on my LS1.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    Get a ticket in with specific info is probably your best bet. I figured mine was dorked up because I have a non-mainstream ECU/platform on hp tuners... I'm surprised to hear of issues on E38. Works great on my LS1.
    I did this with the original MPVI. I know Standalone is new on the MPVI2 so it will have a few bugs to be worked out. With my 2010 Camaro the logging is slow, and many channels don't get included.

With my 2020, the direct connected scanner doesn't fully support this year, I understand that being new and all.

If it will always be that I have to run a severely reduced number of PIDs, then it's not that useful, though I am curious when it is all fixed up and optimized, how many PIDs and at what data rate they expect it should run. Maybe when I get around to investigating, I'll open a support ticket but all I ever got as a response from Support for Standalone with the MPVI was "Reduce the amount of PIDs scanned".

The new PIDs I never had with the MPVI are worth the upgrade, for sure.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

If anyone is having MPVI2 Standalone Data Logging problems, please be sure to submit a ticket with an Info Log, so that we can track any issues and let you know when there's a solution. I know it might take a little while for an engineer (probably me, in this case) to properly investigate it and create a fix, but at the very minimum, it gets seen and helps prioritize common issues.

We're two weeks into the public beta of this feature, and although it has worked quite well for most, there's always some follow-up work to do, as evidenced here. Right now, the most common element of the few problem reports we have had, is extensive custom channel configurations and/or certain vehicles that are much more "talkative" than others. Typical symptoms are log files that are very small and fail to open in Scanner ("Invalid File", etc), and log files that have some or all parameters missing (these are typically listed when you open the file, but just never populated with data). It's due to the overall load or bandwidth being a bit more than anticipated, so that's why the immediate workaround is to include fewer channels in the configuration you use for standalone data logging. Clicking "Erase Channels Config" is a quick way to reset the MPVI2 to default parameters to verify if that fixes it or not.

We're currently working on staging a firmware update that includes the first round of standalone data logging fixes and improvements, which addresses this situation and a few other issues that have been discovered. I expect to have that ready for users to test this week, but the catch is that in order to get people early access to this, I need to have a support ticket with an Info Log. Otherwise, these fixes will hopefully become part of the regular public beta in a few weeks, pending the feedback we get on it...

Potential Tuner
    I have been using the the mpvi2 standalone data logging, I only lose my wideband PID now and again. stop the logging and restart all good but I also have the same thing happening with vcm scanner on the laptop but you can see when the laptop drops the PID and disconnect from vehicle and reconnect.
    The standalone works with out prolink if using AEM 30-334 obd2 widebandScreenshot (8).pngScreenshot (9).png

Potential Tuner
    Anyone had issues logging RPM? I've written the channels to the device and it logs all of my configured channels except RPM. Have tried erasing the channels and rewriting. No change.

Update: For anyone who sent in a support ticket and received the v3.1.6 firmware update for testing, we now have v3.1.8 available if you go to Help -> Resync Interface. While v3.1.6 had implemented several quick fixes, v3.1.8 adds a much more robust system that addresses all known issues and includes some other improvements too. This is especially useful for GM and Ford users with elaborate channel configs (or just certain Ford models in general), but also solves some potential general issues and missing parameters for various other vehicles. Please also Resync Interface Resources to ensure that you have the latest vehicle and parameter support (I updated it to match VCM Suite Beta as of yesterday afternoon).

For anyone else who is experiencing issues with Standalone DL that do not appear when using VCM Scanner, please send in a support ticket.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Update: For anyone who sent in a support ticket and received the v3.1.6 firmware update for testing, we now have v3.1.8 available if you go to Help -> Resync Interface. While v3.1.6 had implemented several quick fixes, v3.1.8 adds a much more robust system that addresses all known issues and includes some other improvements too. This is especially useful for GM and Ford users with elaborate channel configs (or just certain Ford models in general), but also solves some potential general issues and missing parameters for various other vehicles. Please also Resync Interface Resources to ensure that you have the latest vehicle and parameter support (I updated it to match VCM Suite Beta as of yesterday afternoon).

For anyone else who is experiencing issues with Standalone DL that do not appear when using VCM Scanner, please send in a support ticket.
    Just tried the new update, on Simos18. Previously Mode $22 PIDs were not being logged at all.

It now works! To be honest though, the speed was a disappointment. With VCM scanner and this ECU things are already a bit slow at 100 PID (or responses) a second. Standalone logging it was about 1/3 of that, at 33-34 PID/s.

Hopefully some constructive feedback, thanks for the work!
    Last edited by aaronc7; 02-23-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    Just tried the new update, on Simos18. Previously Mode $22 PIDs were not being logged at all.

It now works! To be honest though, the speed was a disappointment. With VCM scanner and this ECU things are already a bit slow at 100 PID (or responses) a second. Standalone logging it was about 1/3 of that, at 33-34 PID/s.

Hopefully some constructive feedback, thanks for the work!
    Thank you for the response, I appreciate the feedback. Performance boosts will continue to be a priority wherever practical, especially now that all known missing parameter and oddball reliability issues should be resolved. The performance of VCM Scanner on a full computer is a challenging target to match with embedded hardware, but it is the standard that we compare against. The inner-workings and timings are a little different between the two, so I've seen it exceed that goal in certain circumstances, but then various others present us with more challenges as well. It can really come down to the specific vehicle and channel configuration being used.

This v3.1.8 update should already be faster than previous versions on GM VPW vehicles, and for SAE parameters for GM CAN vehicles. I'll have to take a closer look at SIMOS... I know that controller is particularly noisy, so that may be bogging things down, but it gives me a couple ideas to work with...

Also, if anyone still has issues with Standalone Data Log files failing to open, then please update to VCM Scanner Beta v4.9.645 or newer, and that will likely be solved. It should be updated on the website shortly, if not already. The root cause for that issue was that certain unusual options in the channel config could trigger a bug, so the other workaround is just to rebuild the channel config and try logging again.

Mine worked, with all my regular channels, after this v4.9.645 update.
    Prior to that (this morning) I got the log file error.
    Glad I read this before submitting another support ticket
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tried resync several times and still stuck on firmware 3.1.4
    Have the latest version VCM Suite Product: VCM Scanner 4.9.648 Beta

Advanced Tuner
    You have to submit a ticket, and Weston will tag your MPVI2 serial to get the 3.1.8 and other "alpha" builds, if you're having issues. Mine wouldnt even log on Simos18 until 3.1.8

We'll get 3.1.8 or a later version out in the public beta in the near future. It is presently only available to those few people who have had a standalone data logging issue with the previous beta firmware and opened a support ticket for that, as we're trying to keep track to make sure that it solves their problems and does not experience any new issues. With a couple hundred controllers supported, and tens of thousands of operating system versions across those, the phased rollout approach has been helpful to catch and limit any oddball situations that could come up with certain combinations. The feedback on 3.1.8 so far has been good, so we are on track for a wider release...

Beyond that, I have a few smaller improvements already staged for 3.1.9, including increased parameter polling performance in many cases. Once that goes through the process, I'm hopeful it will end up being our general release version for this feature, but I don't have an ETA on that just yet...

Thank you all for your patience and feedback as we work through the beta process to make sure this feature is solid for everyone.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Weston
    keep us posted with updates..I'm following this thread.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Weston
    Is there much difference/updates in
    vs

thanks

Tuner in Training
    I must be missing a trick or two.
    VCM Scanner 4.9.762 and Firmware 3.1.8 (Alpha Firmware)
    Still can't edit the channel list on the standalone log config and the pro window says "Failed to open interface"
    I can standalone log the default channels and read the logs in the MPVI2 Data Logging window.
    I can open the MPVI2 Pro Data Logging window
    I cannot instruct the interface to log desired channel list.
    Hitting the write Config in the Pro window returns "Failed to open interface" on the status bar.
    Erase, Write and Read Channels in the Standard log window return complete and I can save the logs.
    Read Config and opening the subsequent saved file returns a correct channel list when I open the saved channel config file so it appears the channel configuration at least partially saves on the interface.
    The interface just seems to not follow the config list instruction.
    I opened a ticket and received the Alpha firmware as this thread indicated the Alpha version may correct the issue but no luck. I still have the same issue so I am beginning to think I am doing something wrong.
    I am running VCM Scanner 4.9.762 and Firmware 3.1.8
    Any suggestions for this very new to HPTuner frustrated user.
    Last edited by PbFut; 03-27-2021 at 05:54 PM.