Thread: 2bar OS General Questions

2bar OS General Questions

Hello Everyone,

In anticipation for boost in the near future, and due to recent tq converter failure leaving me plenty of downtime to spare, I am changing out my 235/248 111+1.5 NA cam out for a 232/234 155.5+5 turbo cam. Motor setup is a cam+FBO LS3 in a 2011 Camaro. I have left the VVE and MAF alone and made a couple changes to my original tune in the hopes of getting it started. I do have a wideband so as long as I can get it running for long enough to get some data, air/fuel tuning should be a breeze. I could stick with the original OS and be fine for now, but I would like to eventually switch over to the 2bar OS. Actually, I would like to do so now (mainly for the rad fan tune-ability and ditching the godforsaken VVE coefficients), and was wondering if the current 2bar OS tune I have is setup correctly and will run without any funny business. The questions I have are the following:

1.) In the 2bar tune, I used my previous VVE table and changed the column/axis to match the 2bar's, of which I also changed to have good resolution for my current NA setup. After transposing the table in excel, pasting and smoothing, does my SD VE table look somewhat reasonable as a starting point?

2.) If I refrain from failing the MAF, will it still primarily use the MAF to calculate fuel based on my dynamic enable/disable settings aside from transients, just as the normal OS did?

3.) Is it okay to choose whatever column/axis amounts in the VE table I want to suit my needs with the 2bar OS?

4.) Both the kPa for estimated MAP max, MAP sensor linear, and the maximum MAP value allowed to be entered in the VE table are capped at 255. Does this mean, although this is a "2bar OS", I can run a 2.5 bar gm MAP sensor (250kpa) and have no issues? From what I can see, all necessary tune changes to allow for this to occur are able to be made. My question then becomes, will this cause any major issues if I try to flash a tune like this and run my setup past 2bar up to/near 250kPa?

5.) Lastly, I made the 2bar tune file as per the HPtuners instructions (converted an old tune I had to 2bar, saved as a new tune before making any changes, then made the changes I discussed above). Is it okay to write entire with this tune and be good to go without risk of bricking my pcm?

If these questions are all able to be answered, I would be in a much better position moving on with my build. I know some of my questions will require someone to download my tune files which is a total PITA, but your commitment to helping me out won't go unnoticed Seriously, any help would be greatly appreciated.

NA cam tune: AW11.hpt

Turbo cam for temporary NA application tune: Summit Stg3 Turbo Cam BASE.hpt

2bar OS for temporary NA application tune: 2 bar SD.hpt
    Last edited by Nick912; 01-11-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick912 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

In anticipation for boost in the near future, and due to recent tq converter failure leaving me plenty of downtime to spare, I am changing out my 235/248 111+1.5 NA cam out for a 232/234 155.5+5 turbo cam. Motor setup is a cam+FBO LS3 in a 2011 Camaro. I have left the VVE and MAF alone and made a couple changes to my original tune in the hopes of getting it started. I do have a wideband so as long as I can get it running for long enough to get some data, air/fuel tuning should be a breeze. I could stick with the original OS and be fine for now, but I would like to eventually switch over to the 2bar OS. Actually, I would like to do so now (mainly for the rad fan tune-ability and ditching the godforsaken VVE coefficients), and was wondering if the current 2bar OS tune I have is setup correctly and will run without any funny business. The questions I have are the following:

1.) In the 2bar tune, I used my previous VVE table and changed the column/axis to match the 2bar's, of which I also changed to have good resolution for my current NA setup. After transposing the table in excel, pasting and smoothing, does my SD VE table look somewhat reasonable as a starting point? Yes it does.

2.) If I refrain from failing the MAF, will it still primarily use the MAF to calculate fuel based on my dynamic enable/disable settings aside from transients, just as the normal OS did? It will.

3.) Is it okay to choose whatever column/axis amounts in the VE table I want to suit my needs with the 2bar OS? It is. If you plan on running 7 (or whatever) psi boost, you can adjust the axis accordingly.

4.) Both the kPa for estimated MAP max, MAP sensor linear, and the maximum MAP value allowed to be entered in the VE table are capped at 255. Does this mean, although this is a "2bar OS", I can run a 2.5 bar gm MAP sensor (250kpa) and have no issues? From what I can see, all necessary tune changes to allow for this to occur are able to be made. My question then becomes, will this cause any major issues if I try to flash a tune like this and run my setup past 2bar up to/near 250kPa? That's correct. You can run up to 255 kPa with no issues.

5.) Lastly, I made the 2bar tune file as per the HPtuners instructions (converted an old tune I had to 2bar, saved as a new tune before making any changes, then made the changes I discussed above). Is it okay to write entire with this tune and be good to go without risk of bricking my pcm? It will not risk your PCM any more than a typical write entire will.

If these questions are all able to be answered, I would be in a much better position moving on with my build. I know some of my questions will require someone to download my tune files which is a total PITA, but your commitment to helping me out won't go unnoticed Seriously, any help would be greatly appreciated.

NA cam tune: AW11.hpt

Turbo cam for temporary NA application tune: Summit Stg3 Turbo Cam BASE.hpt

2bar OS for temporary NA application tune: 2 bar SD.hpt

You can set the 2bar SD up for boost now, I wouldn't do it all again when you add boost. Set the pressure axis as you need for the future, fit and scale the sensor.

If the VVE table is stock (not to suit the cam) and you are fitting a cam you will want to lower all the values around idle up to 90kpa and 1500 rpm about 20% so as not to be overly rich, the 02 sensors will pick it up when warm but until then it will be overly rich.