Thread: Inherited tune - runs horrible

Potential Tuner

Inherited tune - runs horrible

Hi,

Thanks in advance...

I'm trying to help a buddy out, He paid a local shop to Dyno tune his truck (they won't stand behind it), came back running like crap only made 275-ish HP (yeah you read that right). Turns out his supercharger wasn't making boost due because the bypass hose was backwards, the tuner never mentioned it, he should have be able to see on the map that it wasn't building pressure. It wouldn't idle, stalls when coming to a stop.

I was able to help him out and get it to at least idle and run good enough to where he can drive it, still runs horrible

Specs:
    6.0 lq4
    Whipple charger makes about 8lbs boost according to the gage
    2 Bar OS conversion
    2 Bar Map sensor
    Summit 8701 cam
    #42 injectors
    4L80E

Thanks!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Runs horrible how, what is it doing?

Do you have a wideband on this thing??

The log has a bunch of stuff you don't need to log for normal things and you are not logging the correct MAP channel, so we can't see how much boost it's making. Injector pulse width isn't being logged either, need to know that so you don't run out of injector room.

The timing is low for only making 8psi of boost if that is what it's making. You should be able to see 15-18 degrees on 93 octane, that will pick up power.

I would setup the PE and BE a little different because you don't need it to over fuel at 85kpa, there isn't enough air in the cylinders for that much fuel being requested for PE.

Raise the PE enable to 90 or 95kpa, raise the rpm enable to 1,200-1,300. Lower the enable torque to 80%. Lower the BE to 105kpa.

Put the PE EQ ratio to 1.180 and have the BE start at 1.18 for 100kpa and have it be 1.25 at 5psi of boost. Carry the 1.25 to the end and interpolate the 100-130kpa.

One of the biggest things is making sure that the fueling is spot on everywhere.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Runs horrible how, what is it doing?
    Problem 1 - Stalls when you are idling in gear.
    Problem 2 - Feels sluggish on throttle - After making the changes recommended from 5FDP it did make a little bit of a difference

Wideband is not in yet, I'm hoping he gets it installed this weekend.

Thanks for the input!

Potential Tuner

UPDATE : Inherited tune - Help

Update on this:

He removed the whipple charger, based on others telling him that they are very hard to get to idle correctly.

Added AEM 30-0334 WB, but I'm having trouble getting it set-up, After contacting AEM I'm waiting on a 30-0330 harness so I can wire it in serial/usb.

Long story short, I re-flashed back to the original OS, went back to the OEM tune file and started from there. It runs decent if you can get it off idle, it still needs work on the VE tables and MAF but like I said if you hit the throttle like you would if you were taking of at a stop sign it just falls on itself and usually stalls. When I can get it to drive the AFR looks to be in the 14.5/15.2 range

I know
    a) I'm missing stuff from the log - Suggestions are welcome as I'm a newbie to this
    b)I have extra stuff I don't need - The trans stuff is in there because I don't know if I can trust that the trans isn't part of the issue

13.hpl
    10_Latest.hpt

Thanks!
    Jason

Edit: I also tried a tune from the repository that the description seemed close to what his mods are, no luck with that either.
    It's Here...
    The Closest Components.hpt
    Last edited by Jeepin_J; 12-09-2020 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added more info

The whipple doesn't have anything to do with running crappy.
    Do you have 25# injectors now or 42# ?
    What MAP sensor are you using?
    Running it up to 5000 rpm without a wideband or PE kicking in is going to cause some damage.
    What spark plugs?
    So, Now it is back to N/A ?
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Potential Tuner
    Do you have 25# injectors now or 42#? 42#
    What MAP sensor are you using? 2 Bar
    What spark plugs? AC Delco 41-162 (stock)
    So, Now it is back to N/A? Yes
    The whipple doesn't have anything to do with running crappy. <-- I agree

Your tune has 25# injectors, so probably all of the data needs to be changed.
    The tune you posted has 1 bar data for the Map sensor
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Potential Tuner
    Thank you so much for all of your help, I will make the changes for the injectors and at this point probably just go back to the 1 bar map sensor since it's N/A and doesn't need the 2 bar

Also, I have been getting a U0107 and U1000 DTC - So last night I submitted a help ticket with HPTuners, Chad just got back to me that it's possibly a grounding issue. So I'll be looking into that now as well

Thanks again!