Thread: 4000 RPM Rev Limit Problem E38 ECU 6L80E Trans LS Swap

Tuner

4000 RPM Rev Limit Problem E38 ECU 6L80E Trans LS Swap

Hello,
    I am looking for some help. I am working on an LS swap of a 6.2 engine with the 6L80e transmission. It is an E38 ECU. I am having trouble hitting a rev limiter at 4000 rpm. The customer installed this himself and made several mistakes. I have been working my way through all of that and my most recent one is the engine won't rev above 4000 rpm. I scanned the torque management types and it shows transmission TM is present. I have a code P0700 (transmission control system) that won't clear along with several permanent codes that popped up due to his prior mistakes (like leaving the MODE switch disconnected in the pan). There is also a pending U0100 code (Lost communication with ECM/PCM). The park and neutral rev limiters are raised wall above the 4000 rpm and it wouldn't go above 4000 rpm on the dyno either. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a tune file and log.

Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like you have an ECM versus TCM OS mismatch.

Your E38 ECM is running 2013 OS 12653674. This would have originally been paired with T43 TCM OS 24265260.

Your T43 TCM is running OS 24267577. This OS was used in early 2014 LT (DI) trucks, and was mated with an E92 ECM. This T43 TCM OS was updated to the more common 24270599.

To get the ECM and TCM to communicate, you will need to have the TCM programmed with the calibration that matches the E38. This can be done using GM software, and the VIN from the E38 ECM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post

Your E38 ECM is running 2013 OS 12653674. This would have originally been paired with T43 TCM OS 24265260.

Your T43 TCM is running OS 24267577. This OS was used in early 2014 LT (DI) trucks, and was mated with an E92 ECM. This T43 TCM OS was updated to the more common 24270599.

To get the ECM and TCM to communicate, you will need to have the TCM programmed with the calibration that matches the E38. This can be done using GM software, and the VIN from the E38 ECM.
    Thank you very much, I appreciate it! I will look into that.

HPTuner's (editor) can full flash just the TCM though... probably easier to get a matching file and DIY vs. hauling it to a dealership.

-edit-

This '13 1500 attached has the right trans OS (24265260). This is a stock file. You can get the TCM image from it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Frost; 11-12-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    HPTuner's (editor) can full flash just the TCM though... probably easier to get a matching file and DIY vs. hauling it to a dealership.

-edit-

This '13 1500 attached has the right trans OS (24265260). This is a stock file. You can get the TCM image from it.

As with all things, there is a "best" course of action. Full reprogramming any controller with a different OS is best done using GM tools. As an example, HP Tuners can fully reprogram the P01 and P59 PCM with a different OS. However, the nice folks at HP Tuners have consistently advised against this action.

As far as hauling it to a dealership - that was not my thinking. Many dealership wouldn't touch it anyway.

Any decent tuner or tuning facility should have GM hardware (Tech 2 / MDI / Mongoose / etc). Since it often seems like there is a tuner on every street corner these days, my hope was that this fellow may have a local resource to assist him.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

-edit-

Tuner
    Definitely would be easier. I appreciate the response! Thanks.

As with all things, there is a "best" course of action. Full reprogramming any controller with a different OS is best done using GM tools. As an example, HP Tuners can fully reprogram the P01 and P59 PCM with a different OS. However, the nice folks at HP Tuners have consistently advised against this action.

As far as hauling it to a dealership - that was not my thinking. Many dealership wouldn't touch it anyway.

Any decent tuner or tuning facility should have GM hardware (Tech 2 / MDI / Mongoose / etc). Since it often seems like there is a tuner on every street corner these days, my hope was that this fellow may have a local resource to assist him.
    Good information and advice here.

Yeah I don't disagree.. Just trying to help him with what he has. I'm not 100% sure though that any tool is gonna do what he wants after looking at it here a second time.

SB2PRO, I may have spoken too soon on the flash fix too; according to OS compatibility with hardware, it may not be there.... see this post: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post613429

-edit-

24264497,24267577,24270599 These three OS's can be interchanged. It looks like his 24265260 OS maybe specific to that T43.

Was this trans sourced separately?

I kind of wonder what the MDI will say if you try that route...
    Last edited by Frost; 11-12-2020 at 03:58 PM.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com