Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Fan always on

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Snap View Post
    Yes I did. You have to have the ac pressure sensor plugged into the wire harness and then the fan works like they should. Ac doesn?t need to be present/charged.

Let us know if this sorts your issue out too.
    Cheers. i will give that a shot.

Tuner in Training
    Just an update. I didn't need to plug the pressure sensor in i just had to turn the a/c DCT's to no error reported. now the fans operate perfect.

Advanced Tuner
    How did you know to do that? Did you have a check engine light on?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    How did you know to do that? Did you have a check engine light on?
    No light. But I just figured it had to be something to do with the A/C because in all the research I'd done on the operating system the A/C was the only thing that has control over the fans regardless of ECT. So I took a punt.

Advanced Tuner
    i see. thank you. i was able to kill the fan today with the scanner but thats as far as i got with testing. i was past due for a drive lol i appreciate your response.

Advanced Tuner
    FWIW, I believe I know what my issue is as to why the fans stay on constantly. I had a DTC for low A/C pressure but never knew that the DTC was set because the tune I received had the majority of the DTC's disabled. I don't plan on getting the A/C charged anytime soon but once I do, I believe it will cure my issue. If I can remember, I will update this thread once I have the A/C charged.

Potential Tuner
    Having the Same problem on a E37 engine control modul, removed the AC now the fan comes on and stays on with the enginge coolant temperature not triggering it.

Is there a way to change that in the firmware to ignore the AC ? I am sure the car was sold somewhere without an AC.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm glad this popped back up since I forgot to update the thread with my issue. Fan System > Fans > Control by % > Desired % by ECT table had 100 all across it. For some reason, that was what kept my fans running all the time. They would come on and stay on even on cold starts.

Potential Tuner
    So it had nothing to do with the missing A/C pressure sensor?

If you ask these kinds of questions in the V8 forum you're very likely to get an answer that's specific to what is in the V8 ECMs. Whatever you're working on might have totally different tables available.

If it were a E40/E38/E67, I'd say zero out the Desired vs A/C table, and disable the pressure sensor DTCs. Diagrams show a pulldown resistor on the signal line so it should go to minimum when unplugged. On an E37 with no year/make/model or tune file given, who knows what it is.

For Rob's issue, the first cell in the Desired vs ECT table has to be less than the threshold for 0->1 in the State vs Desired table, or else fans on all the time. Or, if variable speed PWM fan, first cell has to be less than the turn-on point of the fan (ex.: SPAL brushless, 'off' is less than 15%). Always put a zero in the first cell and you don't have to worry about thresholds and fan types.

Potential Tuner
    I posted a in the right forum as well https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...1-is-always-on

Senior Tuner
    I've posted him a file on the DF Goblin forum with the Desired % AC tabled zeroed and also with fan two state zeroed since if this is wired like a typical Goblin, it should just use the low fan relay.

His fan also stays on several minutes after ignition off. I see that there are settings to change that on his ECM but I didn't know that GM was doing this on anything during this time period. (2009 Cobalt LS, 2.2L)

Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    I've posted him a file on the DF Goblin forum with the Desired % AC tabled zeroed and also with fan two state zeroed since if this is wired like a typical Goblin, it should just use the low fan relay.

His fan also stays on several minutes after ignition off. I see that there are settings to change that on his ECM but I didn't know that GM was doing this on anything during this time period. (2009 Cobalt LS, 2.2L)
    Link?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Link?
    http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?...592/post-92363

Potential Tuner
    Worked out. Thanks!