Thread: clutch position sensor on a swap vehicle?

Tuner in Training

clutch position sensor on a swap vehicle?

I'll be using a e38 computer with either a Camaro or Corvette manual-trans tune(haven't decided which yet). I want the best driveability I reasonably can, which calls for mounting a clutch position sensor. The clutch sensor is a simple three-wire sensor, that pulls the output wire to ground or to 5 volts.

It looks very challenging to install a real variable clutch sensor on my pedal. I already have a clutch switch that was used for cruise control in the original vehicle. I'm proposing using that clutch switch to flip a small solid-state relay, and replicate a clutch sensor.

Has anyone done this or anything similar? Is there any reason it won't work well? The clutch sensor would be seeing an instant press/depress situation, which isn't quite ideal, but I'm pretty sure it's still a lot better than having no sensor at all.

One concern I have is with the clutch pedal relearn process. Will this throw the computer for an unsolvable loop, since it will only see two clutch states, on and off?

Tuner in Training
    This is how the early corvettes worked - single button clutch switch. Either on or off. You can enable that circuit in the DTC area of the tune - enable clutch switch and disable clutch position sensor & associations.