Thread: Torque converter lock up 6L80e in a patrol

Potential Tuner

Torque converter lock up 6L80e in a patrol

Hey guys

Looking for some advice on where to start with tuning a 6l80e with some do's and dont's

Backstory
    Pretty new to HP Tuners (and tuning in general), I recently transplanted a 2008 statesman l98 and 6l80 in to my Patrol (a 2008 ST patrol, ex 3,0)which has 35inch tyres and 4.11 diff gears

Recently we purchased a caravan that might be slightly heavier than the car should tow 2800kg unloaded, 3500 loaded. The Motor ran at 90C the whole time towing but the box got to 130c with 3 transcoolers on it.

I watched a couple of videos online about adjusting the box to lock up the torque converter but then i noticed it seems to stay locked when I'm driving and during gear changes. I've since undone the changes as the car started studdering going up little inclines. I can validate that the torque converter was locking up as i would get off the peddle and it would engine brake coming down hills.

Anyway i scraped the new shift tune, i have the bluecat tool and i want to try again but i now dont know where to start.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    well the stock converter aint up for the job when towing with that much weight in 6th, but with 4.11 gears if your cruise rpm is above 2k rpm the lockup's probably not going to make much difference. Maybe put a bigger filter/pan on it from the camaro/6l90 hsv.

Advanced Tuner
    Make sure you log TCC Slip and TCC pressure. Your regulator gain is set the same as mine was at the stock setting, and the TCC would slip quite a bit, even when 0 is commanded in the cal. You might have to raise the regulator gain some to get it to hold. That is a pressure floor which it should not go below. I found that even when commanding 0 slip, and IF it hit 0 slip and I continued to hold dead steady load/throttle, the TCM would start ticking down the TCC pressure until it began to slip again, then would veeerrry slowly start ticking the pressure back up to try and approach zero slip again. Meanwhile, you are ever so slightly changing the throttle to drive with traffic, or a change in grade, and the TCC pressure is going up/down/all over the place trying to chase the moving target which it never gets to.

Keep in mind there are some OS that this regulator gain does not work on, there are some recent posts regarding that.

Don't get ridiculous on the pressure, I don't know how much is too much on a stock verter. You can also kick out the TCC sooner under higher throttle instead of trying to force it to hold, assuming you don't set it so that it is never engaged in normal driving.

BLUECAT. Get it. Works AWESOME

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the replys

@the Mechanic, I have the blue cat tool. Last tune i put in appeared to make a shudder but it seems that was actually an unrelated wiring issue. I will reapply the second tune but maybe leave 3rd gear alone and just lock 4th and 5th.

@notsure, I did add those to my scanner pids. we are taking the van out again on the 18th i will log it and see how it goes, i have also done some work (got some help) on the tap up tap down and will try not driving it in 6th. on the same token i be keen to pop a tow switch in, although I'm yet to find a wiring diagram to show me what i need to hook up to switch between the different shift patterns and all the advice i see says to set both pattern a and b the same

@tre-cool - ordered a deep pan too https://www.aeroflowperformance.com/...deep-trans-pan the filter is hard to get in AU though but found one on Amazon, should arrive before the trip so fingers crossed.

Potential Tuner
    Just replying for the sake of it

We got our deep trans pan and installed it
    The trans still gets to 110c when labouring up hills for a while but pretty quickly comes back down again. When pulling the big van (3.5t) it usually sits at 99-102 high way driving. Speeds are 90km-105km average and hour

I still want to bring the temps down but it's a lot better now

What temps are you currently keeping?
    mr mine
    Last edited by giovanischimmel; 10-15-2023 at 10:27 AM.