Thread: 2004 5.7 Hemi bouncing RPM prior to near redline WOT shifts.

Tuner in Training

2004 5.7 Hemi bouncing RPM prior to near redline WOT shifts.

Hello,
    I'm having a strange problem on my 2004 Ram 1500 with a ProCharger. Truck seems to run great everywhere except WOT just prior to shifting, it hits about 5500 RPM then acts like its hitting the rev limiter - if I let it go like this it will eventually shift. I've looked and looked in the tune file and cannot figure out what is causing this behavior.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Norris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rchelicopter67 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm having a strange problem on my 2004 Ram 1500 with a ProCharger. Truck seems to run great everywhere except WOT just prior to shifting, it hits about 5500 RPM then acts like its hitting the rev limiter - if I let it go like this it will eventually shift. I've looked and looked in the tune file and cannot figure out what is causing this behavior.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Norris
    I had a similar issue with my charger and it took updating the editor and double checking all of my rev limits to finally get it above the stock rev limits. I changed so much, I honestly think that just updating the editor may have done it.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Skeez,
    Appreciate the comment - I have the latest editor 4.8.7 I believe. Would you mind sharing your file so I could have a look at what you changed. I upped my limiter up to 6200 the other day for a test and it made no difference.

Thanks
    Mark

Tuner in Training
    Hey All,
    Still trying to resolve this issue where my engine acts like its hitting the rev limiter prior to shifts but below actual engine redline. Could this be related to torque management settings?
    I'm happy to pay someone for their time in order to resolve this. Is there a section in the HP Tuner forum where paid tuners advertise.

Mark

Tuner in Training
    Sorry I took so long. This is my latest as it is still a work in progress.I hope this works.

mymod08-024.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Are you sure you posted the correct file, it's only a 3.5 minute scan.
    Not sure what I can learn from this file.

Mark

Have you maxed out the rev limiter? It is obviously cutting fuel and making it run lean and starts knock retard when it does.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Jeff,
    I think I may have made some progress on my tune. I noticed that all my histograms in the scanner were maxed out during times when my engine would cut in and out.
    What seems to have helped was increasing all of the VE and Spark tables in both RPM and kPa. Some images below showing a histogram with data in the upper limits as well as rescaled VE and Spark tables.

Data.jpg

VE.jpg

Spark.jpg

It seems like it's working much better now. Appreciate anyone's comments on whether or not this was a good change.

Tuner in Training
    sorry about that. Here you go.mymod08-024.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Skeez Rocks

Tuner in Training
    Just checking back in. Did that tune help in any way?

Hi Skeezixzx9r. You have a stage 2 cam correct? If so you are retarding it way to much. On the exhaust cam WOT table start at 125 at idle then start to retard it around 4500 rpms gradually until you are at around 120 at 6000 rpms.

Tuner in Training
    That file is unmodified from stock as far as cam timing. I am just now working on that. As far as I can tell, I only have 106* to 123* with the phase limiter. So, you are saying that I should only be swinging the cam 5*? Will the full swing not add HP on the top end?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeezixzx9r View Post
    That file is unmodified from stock as far as cam timing. I am just now working on that. As far as I can tell, I only have 106* to 123* with the phase limiter. So, you are saying that I should only be swinging the cam 5*? Will the full swing not add HP on the top end?

Skeezixzx9r ..................... " I only have 106* to 123* with the phase limiter" you are running an Eagle 5.7? (09+)
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Tuner in Training
    Yes. 2014 5.7 with Comp HRT stage 2 with phase limiter. As logged, the exhaust only swings from 106 to 123 degrees.