Thread: Newby question. Do I have to use a laptop or can I connect a PC to the car?

Potential Tuner

Newby question. Do I have to use a laptop or can I connect a PC to the car?

My laptop died, so I?m wondering if I can connect my PC/desktop directly to the vehicle.

I don't see why not, but you should get your laptop up and running if you want to tune. not trying to be smart but gotta have a laptop IMO

With the proper cable you can. Might need a longer cable though.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Advanced Tuner
    should be fine for reading and flashing, but the logging might get a little hairy. LOL

Tuner in Training
    The hpt obdII dongle is cable sensitive. So you may or may not be able to use a usb extension.

I wouldn't worry too much about "brand name" or "chinese" as most cables come from the same place. Just make sure the cable, or extension is legitimately usb 3.0. I'm sure you can find data transfer rate tests for various cables, so get one that is verified. Otherwise it can cause problems. Haven't used any cable other than the provided one so can't comment.

But otherwise no reason why you can't. If you want to, you can put it on an in car pc, or tablet.