Thread: Turning off VATS and theft light on dash?

Potential Tuner

Turning off VATS and theft light on dash?

I'm new to this forum, so hopefully this is the right place to post this. I'm generally an LS guy, but am working on a winter driver car, a 2009 Cobalt. I'm putting a remote start on it and wanting to do away with the VATS so I don't have to run a bypass box that they say can be somewhat sketchy at times and also to get away from buying $35 keys for it. I know I can turn the two VATS patches off and it should be fine, but does anyone know if the theft light will be on in the dash the whole time if the BCM doesn't see the correct transponder key? If so, is there a way to turn that light off? Just wanting to know before I spend the licenses for the ECM. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1Nova71 View Post
    I'm new to this forum, so hopefully this is the right place to post this. I'm generally an LS guy, but am working on a winter driver car, a 2009 Cobalt. I'm putting a remote start on it and wanting to do away with the VATS so I don't have to run a bypass box that they say can be somewhat sketchy at times and also to get away from buying $35 keys for it. I know I can turn the two VATS patches off and it should be fine, but does anyone know if the theft light will be on in the dash the whole time if the BCM doesn't see the correct transponder key? If so, is there a way to turn that light off? Just wanting to know before I spend the licenses for the ECM. Thanks in advance!
    The light will be on. You can remove the cluster to physically disable the light. Doing this will make it incredibly easy to steal.

Any time that I have disabled VATS on a vehicle, the light on the dash did not come on. Not sure on a 2009 Cobalt, but I would assume it would be the same.
    2017 JKU Rubicon: Purple, long arms, tons, 40s, Banks CAI, Borla cat-back, TD2/HPT tuned, daily.
    2017 GMC Sierra SLT: 6.2/ 8spd. Just getting started on it...