Thread: 6.0 gen3 more oomph off the line

Tuner in Training

6.0 gen3 more oomph off the line

14 open road 2.hpltune 10 increase spark advance smooth table around 2k to 2.5k drfop 2 degress 400 through to 240.hptHi, new to go tuners, grown out of turning/riding sports bikes and looking to improve the off the mark for 2500 suburban 6.0 2004. Have played with some tm reductions and spark table, had table smoother from 2000 down to 400 rpm but started to note slight surge at very small throttle opening cruise.
    Do not have Wideband, not usually up high in revs, also use to tow bayliner boat occasionally. Transgo HD2 shift kit installed, exhaust done cat back, k&n airfilter in stock housing. Run on 95 or 98 octane fuel.
    Any advise greatly appreciated,
    (Files to be added from laptop)
    Last edited by Carlfromkerikeri; 11-21-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Different gears, more cubic inches, camshaft upgrade, more compression from different cylinder heads or a supercharger will get you more power or better take off.

A tune alone isn't just going to give magic horsepower down low. You are limited by what the LQ4 is in stock form.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    High octane table from 2200rpm and .72g to 3200rpm and .80g looks a few degrees low, but depends on what fuel you run. Are you getting knock where you want more power? I would bring burst knock enable delta way up to like .080 from 0 to 800 rpm, then .060 at 1200 and 0.40 after that.

Was the surge at very low speed near idle or on the highway around 2k rpm? I see your Proportional idle is near stock.

I have a VS Racing 7875 cast gen 1 turbo on my LQ4, only other upgrades are tune and very small 212/218 cam. It's a slightly small turbo for this engine, but very little turbo lag and the lowest I've seen positive boost pressure was way down at 1800 rpm convertor locked in OD. I daily drive on 5 psi which is enough to spin the tires in first gear, 9-10 psi is very fun, working my way up to 12psi. I also tow on the 5psi setting. Really woke up my 6L and was way cheaper than a new truck. Not a cheap mod, but very fun and adds a lot of power. Best part is if you can keep your foot out of it, mpg's are not effected (I confirmed this). However mpg are significantly reduced when you put your foot down. If you go FI you will need a wideband.
    Phil K.
    02 Camaro SS 5.7L LS1
    01 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L LQ4 4L80E 78/75 turbo with Flex Fuel

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the suggestions, a turbo would be a nice addition

Tuner in Training
    Surge was at highway cruise light throttle 1800 to 2000 rpm

Tuner in Training
    Amended tune and log if anyone is available to view and advise of further suggestions,
    Truck runs significantly better that stock tune, will keep an eye on log files for any knock.

cdh110 final with burst knock delta enable increase.hpt16 final no ac runniung.hpl

You can disable the engine side abuse mode, set it to 7,000rpm and 0mph as well has set the entire ETC TPS MAX table to 100% for all cells.

That should get you more throttle response.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome, thanks, if I get rid of engine side abuse that will still retain the torque management tables for shifts from my understanding, does the tune look ok? I left the timing as what I felt was a moderate increase in some areas and a “safe” amount of total advance, with leaving the retard and knock tables to allow a safety margin.
    Regards
    Carl