Thread: New to HPtuners and tuning in general, tuning 2014 Caprice

Tuner in Training

New to HPtuners and tuning in general, tuning 2014 Caprice

I got the DOD turned off in my car and got it running. It tried to run on 4 cyl when we first started it up after the hard parts swap.

I thought I stopped all the downstream O2 codes, but a few just came back so I have some learning to do in HPT.

It's running pretty good so far!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9JZLYIeaUA

I swapped out the cam and lifters, upgraded the valve springs, and put on some Kooks headers.

Set codes to no error reported with the SES box unchecked.

Turn off the cat over temp (COT) and the cat test/post o2 sensor test if it's there in the engine diag tab.

Some codes will come back as permanent codes that won't be cleared. I think some have said that if you disabled the codes before the sensors were ever removed the codes won't come up as permanent.

Get a wideband for tuning as well.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Set codes to no error reported with the SES box unchecked.

Turn off the cat over temp (COT) and the cat test/post o2 sensor test if it's there in the engine diag tab.

Some codes will come back as permanent codes that won't be cleared. I think some have said that if you disabled the codes before the sensors were ever removed the codes won't come up as permanent.

Get a wideband for tuning as well.
    Thank you, I definitely stopped changing the far right column to "no error reported" and just started unchecking them, which was lazy on my part. I went back through and got it all fixed. Now I have no CEL and the remote start is working again. Can you point me to a good 6L80 tuning thread? This car has 2.92 gears and while I definitely unlocked some power with my amateur experimentation in the torque management tab, it doesn't act right at part throttle or kick-down situations. It's awesome at WOT though, haha. It's grabbing tire shifting into 2nd, or spinning a bit if it's cold or wet.

Most of the 6 speed tuning for me came all from reading for days on end and doing stuff my self. It took me a few years to get things down when I had time to work on it. I'm sure there are threads out there that go in depth but I don't know where they are. I've posted many times about what I do to make things work pretty good in the trucks, the posts are out there.

I will say this, never touch the torque mngt in the transmission tab if you don't know what you are doing. It's not going to be happy all time and could make it drive worse. I can make the transmission do pretty much exactly what I want without ever touching the torque mngt.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Most of the 6 speed tuning for me came all from reading for days on end and doing stuff my self. It took me a few years to get things down when I had time to work on it. I'm sure there are threads out there that go in depth but I don't know where they are. I've posted many times about what I do to make things work pretty good in the trucks, the posts are out there.

I will say this, never touch the torque mngt in the transmission tab if you don't know what you are doing. It's not going to be happy all time and could make it drive worse. I can make the transmission do pretty much exactly what I want without ever touching the torque mngt.
    Ok, thanks for the info. I was under the impression that Torque Management was basically preventing n00bs from spinning out and crashing. But it seems it's more complicated than that.

The transmission needs torque management to help keep it alive and complete the shifts. Removing it all will cause internal wear and even failure.

If it's allowed to go from gear to gear without taking away power, it's going to eventually hurt something. The reduction in torque helps a lot on the 6 speeds.

Traction control and stabilitrak is what stops people from plowing into curbs.

Tuner in Training
    I'm really happy with the WOT upshifts, but everything else is not so great. Can you post a screenshot of the OE settings for the Torque Management Tab so I can put them back? And which one of those settings is responsible for my firm and fast upshifts? Because I'd like to keep that one if I can.

Did you not save your stock tune file?? You really should be saving each new change/tune under a new name in case you screw something up and need to backtrack.

If you didn't you will need to find a stock tune from the tune repository on your customer page. Stock data can be copied from a factory calibration back into yours if you need to do that.

I don't have a Caprice tune to look at, so I can't really help there.

I highly suggest you get the engine tuned in first before worrying too much about how the transmission shifts. Everything on the engine side determines how well the transmission will work. If the airflow model and engine torque model is all sort of whacked the transmission won't shift like it should.

You did a lot of mods to your car and it needs many changes to dial it in. A wideband o2 sensor is a 100% needed to tune the engine correctly. It's a long learning curve that's for sure.

Tuner in Training
    I did save it, I should be able to locate it.

Potential Tuner
    what cam are you running?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by caputo1215 View Post
    what cam are you running?
    LS9, I have a CTSV, and since I'm addicted to that torque curve, I'm planning to put a blower on this Caprice soon.
    Last edited by JonnyG; 11-27-2020 at 06:13 PM.

There are so many better camshafts than the LS9. I know they are cheap but different cams would make more power.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, but this is a DD, I want a smooth idle.

Potential Tuner
    got ya.you going lsa?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by caputo1215 View Post
    got ya.you going lsa?
    I'm not sure, depends on what sort of deals I find, but the LSA blower setup is a great choice if I can score a deal on one.
    Last edited by JonnyG; 11-29-2020 at 04:08 PM.