Thread: 5.3 Swap Loves to Stall

Tuner in Training TheWildWolverine's Avatar

5.3 Swap Loves to Stall

Good evening everybody,

I'm tuning my buddies L59 swapped 1980 GMC and it's proving to be more difficult than I had expected going in. I am fairly new so far but have successfully got my own 24x swapped Vortec Pickup fuel trims dialed in quite nicely. At this point I am looking for some guidance to keep me in the right direction.

The 5.3 was rebuilt and has a TSP Stage 2 truck cam, and LS1 heads. Other than that, it is stock. It is mated to the original TH400 Transmission with stock converter.

So far we have it starting and idling fairly nicely at 750 RPMs and now are trying to get VE while driving tuned, then MAF and then timing. The problem is that while sometimes it will stay idling in gear just fine and take off with a little throttle just fine, other times it dies when put into gear and stalls at the slightest, tiniest bit of throttle. I've been told that a stage two should be able to run, albeit roughly, untuned however this one is very unwilling. It seems to be flooding itself at those times but I'm not yet all that experienced at reading the scanner.

Thank you for any and all help

Joey's One Ton Squarebody - VE Tuning -.hpt
    Died Last time for night.hpl
    First VE Data Drive.hpl

Tuner in Training TheWildWolverine's Avatar
    The logs I posted along with the current tune file show it stalling at the end of the scan when he gives it a little gas to take off. In the VE data drive log the injector pulse width goes way up as it stalls. I'm not sure why its doing that.
    Some more info on the setup is that its out of an 02 Tahoe, and the truck doesn't have a VSS or Neutral Safety Switch yet