Thread: Brand new 4l80E gets hot

Brand new 4l80E gets hot

Can someone take a look at my log file and tell me if there is anything off that would cause the trans to get over 200 on the freeway? Around town, it stays areound 170 or so, but as soon as I get on the freeway and drive for a few miles, it gets way hot and I can't see why. Running a trans cooler after the radiator cooler also. Maybe it's just the clutches bedding in, idk. There are other issues with my tune since I just put on a 92mm fast intake a TB setup.
    20-11-22 10-52-55.hpl
    20-11-23 19-01-16.hpl
    Last edited by 68C10_408 Stroker; 11-23-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Is the tq converter locking up?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Yes it is. I can't see any issue with it locking up at all. Locks a little higher than I would like, so I am going to lower it a bit, but other than that, it's good. Shifts fine and locks up when it is commanded. I would rather not have to take this thing back out and take it back to the builder.

Forgot to attach my tune as well.

Advanced Tuner
    4l80e with cooler ports front to back have a longer rear cooler fitting. Make sure it has the correct cooler fittings installed. check your trans cooler lines for proper flow. Ive seen this more than once before. If the trans has the short cooler fitting installed definitely have the trans pulled and gone through.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

I've confirmed the rear cooler fitting is correct as well. Watched the builder put it in when I picked it up.

Potential Tuner
    can you add more PID to the scanner? The current gear, the tcc pwm duty cycle, shift time, input seed sensor and output speed sensor would be nice also. seems like the car runs warm also. do you have electric fans? might want to lower the temps on them.

Yes. I will get a few more PIDs added and log a new run.