Thread: 2018 Silverado w/ 5.3 Raising the speed limiter

Potential Tuner

2018 Silverado w/ 5.3 Raising the speed limiter

I am new to this Forum and using HP Tuners. Does any one know how to raise my Speed Limiter on my Silverado? I have changed the setting on the Speedo setting from GMLAN to Calibration but it is still hitting the 112 mph Limiter. I have made other changes to fuel and timing and it has picked HP. It is running stronger but cant seem to get the limiter raised.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    Increasing the Speed Limiter on a stock truck, van, or SUV is not recommended.

The OEM Speed Limiter is not only related to the rating of the tires, but more importantly related to the "critical" rotational velocity of the driveshaft.

As the rotational velocity of the driveshaft increases beyond its maximum tolerance, it will start to take the shape of a banana or a skipping rope - leading to either the driveshaft pulling out of the transmission, or exploding.

Tuner in Training
    as Jon mentioned the driveshaft isn't rated for it, buuuuuuut i had the same issues on my 2014 sierra (98mph limiter?) by just maxing out the limiter. try upping it to 150mph instead of warp speed and calibrate - worked for me. your driveshaft will turn into a pipe bomb before you get there anyway so be careful.

I set everything to 160mph on our 2017, and it worked fine. Don't max out the tables or you may get a reduced engine power warning at start up.

This particular truck will hit the cut-off just before the 1/4 mile - bone stock. I don't plan on any extended high speed runs with it, but 98mph just wasn't cutting it for me.
    2017 JKU Rubicon: Purple, long arms, tons, 40s, Banks CAI, Borla cat-back, TD2/HPT tuned, daily.
    2017 GMC Sierra SLT: 6.2/ 8spd. Just getting started on it...

left mine alone for obvious reasons... 6500lbs truck going 120mph.. pfff why try buying a used vette and start there. everything is better when you shed the weight

Another thing to keep in mind is that MPH is a poor indicator of what's 'safe' for the driveshaft. The driveshaft might be fine at 130 MPH if you have a 3.42 gear and 31" tall tires, but maybe not so fine at the same 130 MPH with a 4.10 gear and 28" tires.