Thread: Narrow band o2 sensor location

Tuner in Training

Narrow band o2 sensor location

I have a interesting question. How far down should my narrow band o2 sensors be? Would moving them farther downstream help with a lean condition? They are currently right on my collectors about 4-6? post heads with Ram exhaust. My wideband is 20? downstream the collector per installation instructions. I have run through all of the tuning cycles. MAF and VE separately multiple times with my wideband through the monitor. The math for my wide band calls for voltage +8 but this reading was lower than the gauge display so I made the 2 match with +9. So everything is dialed in 1-2% and when I go closed loop the ECM is adding 10% to make stoich. If I go with the recommended +8 I would be reading even more rich on the wide band. I?m getting horrible MPG and always have with this engine swap. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. You

Moving them further down the exhaust stream shouldn't really make a difference. If there is no exhaust leaks or vacuum leaks before the sensors it's going to read the same things.

On some setups even when tuning with a wideband it will be lean/rich when going back to closed loop. On theses you will just need to hand scale the MAF/VE to bring the fuel trims back closer to zero. If the trims are showing -10% still, it could be as simple as highlighting the area in the MAF curve and VE table where it's cruising at and removing 3-4% worth of fuel and smoothing the table.

I wouldn't expect to gain a ton of miles per gallon fixing that but it's still worth doing. The engine size, tires, aero and how much rpm/speed you are pulling will effect fuel mileage more.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the response. 10mpg hwy is pretty bad. No exhaust leaks. Maybe just run a tank open loop. Long trims are 12-15% lean

What's the whole setup?

Post the tune and logs if you want.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    It?s a GMC Savana 0411 ECM into a 85 Landcruiser. Dual exhaust no cats. I know I lose some MPG on my 33?s with 4:11 gears. Just don?t understand going through the entire wideband thing to go closed loop and be even 10% off seems like a big waste. Why toon at all? just leave it stock and let LTFT do all the work. Frustrating that everybody I talk to says I should get 16-18 just tooting around. Funny I get the same MPG towing our 4000 pound trailer as I do just driving around.
    Last edited by Brickhouse; 11-25-2020 at 05:31 PM.