Thread: LX/LC Hemi Pedal Follower Mode

Tuner in Training

LX/LC Hemi Pedal Follower Mode

I have been messing around with my 2008 300C SRT8 (NGC4/EGS53) for about a year now, one of the things I always disliked was the numb feeling of the drive-by-wire system. Before this car, I had a few cable-throttle cars, and while the Hemi was certainly a step up, it lacked the immediate part-throttle punch I was used to. I tried re-mapping the Driver Demand curves, which helped a bit, but it still lagged more than I wished.

Then I started experimenting with the Pedal Follower settings, and it opened a whole new world. Throttle response is immediate and completely linear; 1 volt for the pedal is 1 volt for the throttle body. I was concerned that it wouldn't be able to idle or that the cruise control would be disabled, but no. Everything functions perfectly. The most difficult part is re-tuning the transmission shift points, because the TCM operates off of pedal position instead of MAP sensors or engine load. So at low RPM, 30% pedal will feel like WOT, but 30% at high RPM, the engine demands more air. The trans tune I have now seems to work well with the pedal follower, up-shifting and kicking down exactly where you'd expect. It's probably my favorite mod I've done on the car and completely eliminates rev hang and lag, I imagine it'd be great on a 6-speed Challenger.

Has anyone else ever played around with this before? I've had my car set up like this for half a year now and I haven't noticed any adverse affects (traction control is much less effective). If anyone wants to try it out, I can post the tune, or a stock tune modified to have Pedal Follower enabled. You really don't need to change too much.

Thanks.

2016 5.7 i have ramp rate at 2 volts.

Hey Roadrunner,
    being interested in your tune.
    Ive played around with the throttle on a 2013, but it only works if throttle adaption is off. If not, the throttle hangs. Ive tried to rescale the throttle air, but without success.
    Tis time I use 0,999 Throttle max rate. There are no mods this time, only cooling optimizations .
    With a CAI I must restrict the opening at rpm, because it gets too much air by full opening.
    The ANN is another problem by newer models.
    The transmission settings are terrible for German roads. Too late backshifting and sport adaption is too sensible and must be reduced. If I drive a little aggressive the software thinks it must be enable sport settings....but its more sport cruising ;-)
    In Januar I m going to assemble a 6.4 cam and MDS delete, shortys new suspension and and....

aufspielen_cold_and_enrichrate_cam.hpt

To prevent from Sport mode by driving, I will test to set factory max Limits higher under Performance driving factor.

Tuner in Training
    So looking at your tune, I think you can enable pedal follower by modifying the 'PF Enable % Torque' table (ECM 35862). This can be found under:

Engine > Airflow > Electronic Throttle > Pedal

Your current settings are making it so that the engine will have to produce more than 100% power to enable Pedal Follower, which is not possible, so it is effectively disabled. I have an older car, which references the percent airflow (ECM 35046, see attached file) rather than percent torque, but they should function similarly. I believe to enable it on your car, you'd need to change all of the values on the table from 100% to 0%, so that any amount of throttle opening would surpass the threshold and enable P.F. mode.

PF Enable % Torque.JPG

You should also edit the Pedal Follower table (ECM 35044) so that the numbers have a completely one-to-one relationship.

Pedal Follower.JPG

You can use my car as a reference for tuning the transmission, you're going to have a bad time if you don't adjust your part-throttle shift points. I haven't changed the Winter and Performance shift points yet, just the tables for Normal.

2008 Chrysler 300 6.1 NGC4 EGS53 - Stock with Pedal Follower.hpt

Thanks, I will try that as soon as possible.
    Ive got a lot of work on my cars to do and the weather isnt good for test driving....
    Ive been working two years on a 5r55s with tci tcc till it works perfect for me.

Just saw this post and sounds like exactly what I want to try on my 2010 Challenger 5.7 6 speed (same NGC4). The only table I can see however is the pedal follower table (ECM 35044) and nothing else. Using VCM editor 4.8.7. Are you using beta?

Tuner in Training
    I can see it in both 4.8.7.0 and the beta on my '08 Chrysler 6.1L, '08 Challenger 6.1L Auto, '10 Challenger 6.1L Auto, and a 2011 Challenger 6.4L Manual. But I opened 2009 and 2010 manual Challenger files and don't see the option, for either 5.7L or 6.1L cars. I'm not sure why they don't include the tables in the early TR6060 cars, I'd imagine it would be even more advantageous for easier rev-matching down shifts.

I wonder if the manual cars come with it enabled by default, you could test it by setting the pedal follower table to max out at 1.0 Volt. So 100% pedal (3.8V) would only get you 26% (1.0V/3.8V) throttle opening, it would feel obviously slower and indicate that you already have it enabled. If it makes no change, then I don't think there's anything you can do to enable it on that PCM, you'd have to get one from a 2009-2010 automatic 5.7 (I don't think the 6.1 cars have the ability to control the 5.7's VVT).

I tune on a 2009 manual Challenger PCM, and it definitely does not use Pedal Follower mode. I wish it did! Getting the throttle perfect without PF has been so frustrating I'm looking at standalone options.

Tuner in Training
    What would happen if you took a file from a 2009 Automatic car, modified everything to match the 2009 Manual car (idle, RPM limits, Torque Management, etc), then do Write Entire? Would that risk corrupting the module?

Could a dealership flash an automatic calibration onto a Manual car's PCM? Could an automatic PCM be used in a manual car?

What are the options for standalone? I've heard good things about Holley's system.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by A12_Roadrunner View Post
    So looking at your tune, I think you can enable pedal follower by modifying the 'PF Enable % Torque' table (ECM 35862). This can be found under:

Engine > Airflow > Electronic Throttle > Pedal

Your current settings are making it so that the engine will have to produce more than 100% power to enable Pedal Follower, which is not possible, so it is effectively disabled. I have an older car, which references the percent airflow (ECM 35046, see attached file) rather than percent torque, but they should function similarly. I believe to enable it on your car, you'd need to change all of the values on the table from 100% to 0%, so that any amount of throttle opening would surpass the threshold and enable P.F. mode.

PF Enable % Torque.JPG

You should also edit the Pedal Follower table (ECM 35044) so that the numbers have a completely one-to-one relationship.

Pedal Follower.JPG

You can use my car as a reference for tuning the transmission, you're going to have a bad time if you don't adjust your part-throttle shift points. I haven't changed the Winter and Performance shift points yet, just the tables for Normal.

2008 Chrysler 300 6.1 NGC4 EGS53 - Stock with Pedal Follower.hpt
    greetings. would the 35862 pedal follower percentage would be the 35046? i cant find 35862 on my editor. and if so, mine is set to 100.00 on all rows from 1k-5k, change them to 0?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.