Thread: LNF standalone ECU options?

Potential Tuner

LNF standalone ECU options?

Hi guys,
    I hope it's okay to post this here, but I'm swapping an Ecotec LNF from a 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP into my old '72 Triumph GT6. I probably should have researched more before I started the swap, because the only places I have found that do standalone tunes for that engine are Swap Specialities and Alpha Fab Motorsports/Race Winning Holdings. Well, after several months of waiting on Swap Specialties and no comms I had to eventually fight those charges and got that refunded. Then I turned to Alpha Fab who seemed a little more communicative. Now, 4 months later, I'm still waiting on the ECU from them and it's been promises of "it has shipped" or "it will ship" every few days.

At this point I'm a bit lost, as I have no idea where to go to get my engine running. Alpha Fab said they were using an E39 ECU and they did ship me the harness and a custom DBW pedal for it, but as I said no ECU so I'm stuck.

Do you guys know anyone who can code an ECU to run my LNF in standalone mode with no BCM or key? I'm willing to shell out the money... I just need someone who can actually deliver a working product.

Thanks a million,
    Josh

Its a stock engine? Just use the stock tune and disable vats.

The LNF engine requires a BCM to run properly. If no BCM is detected the engine will only rev upto about 3000 RPM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasquezz1228 View Post
    The LNF engine requires a BCM to run properly. If no BCM is detected the engine will only rev upto about 3000 RPM.
    You sure about that? Do you have hptuners and tried to tune it yourself? You could try going to the DTCs and disable able code for no BCM comm. What sensor is wired to the BCM that is required for engine operation? What error codes is the ecu sending? ZZP has an LNF swap ecu on their site https://zzperformance.com/products/zzp-lnf-turbo-pcm
    Last edited by Hexadecimal; 01-02-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Tuner in Training
    You don't need the bcm to make this system run. Lots of lnf/lhu engines are used in sand cars, boats , etc with just the ecu. Steve

Tuner in Training
    @EFIHARNESS is correct.

I am going to explain how the starting system on a Solstice works. I own a 2008 GXP and I have some experience with the electrical and also the data systems in the car.

The BCM is attached to the key cylinder. the ECM is not, well not directly.

There is an ignition wire and an accessory wire that comes from the key cylinder to the BCM. the BCM watches these 2 wires to know what position you have the key in. When the key is turned to the start position the voltage on the accessory wire drops out leaving only the ignition wire hot. The only way the wires can be in this state is if the key has been turned to the start position. This is when the BCM checks the transponder code on the key. If the code is good the BCM tells the ECM to start, I will explain how this is done in a minute. the ECM is what cranks the starter. How the ECM knows when to disengage the starter is by using 2 mechanisms, The first is the voltage in the car. battery voltage is typically 12 ish volts, alternator voltage is 13.8ish volts. so when volts jump up it knows to stop cranking. What happens in the event of a bad alternator? The ECM also monitors the tach.

The physical act of turning the key to the start position only causes the voltage change on the wires to the BCM. It does not directly control the cranking. So you could sit there holding the key and the starter would disengage regardless.

OK so how does the BCM tell the ECM to run it's program for starting the vehicle??
    There are 2 connectors on the ECM, they are labelled X1 and X2
    There are going to be many wires that will need to be connected and I can tell you what needs to go where, we can do that in a PM if you like.

So the 2 wires I was speaking about.
    Pin 41: Brown - Accessory Voltage
    Pin 54: Pink - Ignition Voltage

The BCM controls the voltage to both of these wires. The BCM does not have to control the voltage to those wires. A normal ignition switch can take over that job. There is a wire that comes off the ECM that gets connected to the starter relay X2 Pin 57 - Pink/White,
    ECM also controls the field on the alternator, connector X1 Pin 30 - Gray Field Duty Cycle Signal (Pin B on alternator) and connector X1 Pin 10 - Orange Turn on signal (Pin C on alternator)

The rest of the wiring I will explain in a PM are going to be for the fuel pump, neutral switch, clutch switch.. those kinds of things. I can also give you the complete wiring diagram for the ECM if you want and I can write down what wires would need to be connected in order to get the car to run (the wiring other then the sensor wires.)

Autometer makes a tachometer that will connect to the can bus wires to provide you RPM. Oil pressure and Coolant temperature can be done by adding additional sensors.

Tuner in Training
    You are going to need an in tact engine harness, and you will need a Bosch E69 ECM. Preferably one from a 2008 Solstice GXP.

Tuner in Training
    Will this in effect delete or disarm or bypass the PK3 security?

Potential Tuner
    Would I be able to get a copy of that pm? I've installed a LNF into my 91 s10. Attempted to do so with the bcm and ATM and can't get my scanner to even see the bcm. Purchased a second bcm too just to be sure

Potential Tuner
    I to am working on getting my off-road car going any chance I could be included on that pm I'm installing trifecta transplant tune for my LNF but am in need of some wiring info as well. Thank you in advance

I know this is an old thread but I?m putting an LNF from a Saturn Sky into a Model T. Just sounded like fun. Can I get a copy of the wiring diagram and steps to make it work?

Did you ever get any info on this?