Thread: Moderate cam Camaro, occasionally lean at idle in CL; is it a problem?

Potential Tuner

Moderate cam Camaro, occasionally lean at idle in CL; is it a problem?

About the car:
    2015 Camaro SS M6
    Cam: 233/253 duration, 112 degree lobe separation angle and 19 degrees of overlap
    2" headers, 3" full exhaust with cats
    Cold Air Intake
    RXT twin-disc clutch with aluminum flywheel
    4.11 gears
    Stock TB, intake, heads, and fuel system
    93 octane only
    It is not a daily driver; only car shows, weekend cruising, and occasional drag races.

About my question:
    I had the car tuned by a pro when I did the cam/exhaust. It seemed to run just a touch lean at idle occasionally and I'm not sure if it's a problem, or why it does it. However it pulled really hard even with the 3.45 gears once in PE. I'm wondering if someone would look at the log and see if it seems like anything to worry about.

Also, just this week I installed the new twin disc clutch with aluminum flywheel and the 4.11 gears. I've heard of people suggesting getting a tune after switching to the aluminum flywheel. Since I'm still in the break-in period for both the clutch and gears, I haven't made anything more than a half-throttle pull, but it feels really strong right now. To be safe, I'm wondering if anyone would like to have a look and see if they notice anything out of the ordinary that would be related to the lower inertia of the new flywheel/clutch assembly.

I've included the tune and a 10 minute operating temperature log that includes a couple stoplights, a short highway cruise, then a couple more stoplights.

About the log:
    • Sitting at a stoplight (starting at about 2:25) you can see AFR bounce off 14.7 and creep up to ~17
    • Right after that I get on the highway and OL - Accel seems fine
    • The highway cruise after seems ok
    • At around 9:25, AFR starts creeping up again at the stoplight

Last question/comment:
    I read an interview recently with a tuner that likes to keep his AFR target closer to 14.2 when not in PE because (in his experience) the engine is happier and last longer than targeting 14.7 and allowing it to bounce higher. I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your on a MAF only tune. Your lean even driving down the road. You need to rescale the MAF and add fuel to it.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wildfan1976 View Post
    Your on a MAF only tune. Your lean even driving down the road. You need to rescale the MAF and add fuel to it.
    Thanks for the speedy reply!

I'm curious; is the wideband AFR the appropriate indicator and if so, what's a good target while cruising in CL - Normal mode? Is 14.7 too lean based on the mods?

I appreciate the assistance; I've been watching videos and reading articles on MAF tuning and the things related to it; I'm really trying to dive in and understand this.

Thanks again

The car will always command whatever stoich is in CL. You have to see what your Stoich afr is which is 14.68 by the looks of it. Watching your fuel trims its adding fuel so its running lean.