Thread: TrackAddict on iPhone 7 plus with XGPS160 and PLX Devices Kiwi 3 simultaneously

Potential Tuner

TrackAddict on iPhone 7 plus with XGPS160 and PLX Devices Kiwi 3 simultaneously

Hello,

I already own a XGPS160 but I have been offered a good deal on PLX Kiwi 3. I see both are recommended and use bluetooth. Is there any issues using both simultaneously? I only ask as I have been informed 10hz GPS can saturate a bluetooth connection.

Thanks

John

Advanced Tuner
    I have android, but have never seen issues using both a 10hz Gps and bluetooth obd device at the same time. I have never done a deep into it.....but I didn't see a noticeable degradation in OBD param logging rates.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply Aaronc7

Advanced Tuner
    I will add that most of my experience with this is on a pre-CAN vehicle. So it's plausible that the ECU in this case, bluetooth capacity > ECU capacity. Might be different on a CAN vehicle or a setup that taxes the bluetooth connection more.

Tuner in Training
    I have an iPhone 8 Plus. I can run TrackAddict while connected to an XGPS160 and a Kiwi 3 without any issues. My phone has the added burden of being connected to a wi-fi device that is streaming NBP data to TrackAddict. The Kiwi 3 is plugged into a Honda S2000 with 4 channels active.

I will note that running TrackAddict with all my accessories is very hard on the iPhone battery. When collecting data and video, while charging my iPhone, it was loosing battery life at around 1% every 2 minutes.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks again for info.

CarmonColvin I figured it would hit the battery hard so Im preparing wiring to keep the phone charged in use. May I ask what NBP device you use?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    May I ask what NBP device you use?
    I have made my own NBP device using an Arudino Mega and an ESP8266 Wi-Fi board. I can currently collect data from a 2-way potentiometer for measuring specific suspension deflection (joystick from a gaming console). I can also attach 2 K-type thermocouples for temperature readings.

Potential Tuner
    I have been looking for a way to log data outside of the limitations of OBD, from the information I have found on the components your device appears to be ideal. Would you be willing to share plans on how to build one?

Tuner in Training
    I am willing to share the plans and code for how mine works. I don't intend to be secretive about how it works. My problem is the quality of what I have. This is my very first Arduino project, it is not well documented outside of my head, and it has software flaws that other users might find unacceptable.

I still have not done any hot lap data collection. Everything I have tested so far has been at residential street speeds. I do not know how the hardware is going to work while on track.

Once my device is more mature I will do a full writeup on it and post it somewhere on this forum.

There is at least one other user of this forum that is working on a similar device. I think there is a thread with more information about his device.

I have been looking for a way to log data outside of the limitations of OBD, from the information I have found on the components your device appears to be ideal. Would you be willing to share plans on how to build one?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmonColvin View Post
    I am willing to share the plans and code for how mine works. I don't intend to be secretive about how it works. My problem is the quality of what I have. This is my very first Arduino project, it is not well documented outside of my head, and it has software flaws that other users might find unacceptable.

I still have not done any hot lap data collection. Everything I have tested so far has been at residential street speeds. I do not know how the hardware is going to work while on track.

Once my device is more mature I will do a full writeup on it and post it somewhere on this forum.

There is at least one other user of this forum that is working on a similar device. I think there is a thread with more information about his device.
    Hi My code is my first too but would you like to swap code to see if we can gain knowladge on each other code , i have done blutooth and wifi

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmonColvin View Post

Thank you CarmonCalvin,

If you would like someone to test the software on track I could do that for you.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you CarmonCalvin,

If you would like someone to test the software on track I could do that for you.
    Hi Mack

Are you familiar with Arduino products? what were you hoping to test on track .. tempreature sensors , position sensor or what?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by moth4017 View Post
    Hi Mack

Are you familiar with Arduino products? what were you hoping to test on track .. tempreature sensors , position sensor or what?
    My apologies for the delay in replying.

Im not familiar with Arduino products but I do have some technical knowledge. While my programming experience is extremely limited I have a basic understanding of C++ style code, control structures, data types etc. I am familiar with the DOS prompt and some unix commands from fixing my Mac. I can solder, follow wiring diagrams and use a multimeter, I understand the basic electrical formulas. I have done a few projects including installing traction control into my car by tapping into wheel speed sensors and the fuel injectors. I have the patience to learn and follow it through.

I would like to collect throttle and brake pedal position in particular, temperatures would be a major bonus particularly diff and oil. I can get throttle position via OBD2 however as my car is old the refresh rate is only 3.3hz even with the Kiwi 3. I already pull RPM so requesting throttle position would half the data rate.

Regards

Mack

Tuner in Training
    My apologies for the delay in replying.

Im not familiar with Arduino products but I do have some technical knowledge. While my programming experience is extremely limited I have a basic understanding of C++ style code, control structures, data types etc. I am familiar with the DOS prompt and some unix commands from fixing my Mac. I can solder, follow wiring diagrams and use a multimeter, I understand the basic electrical formulas. I have done a few projects including installing traction control into my car by tapping into wheel speed sensors and the fuel injectors. I have the patience to learn and follow it through.

I would like to collect throttle and brake pedal position in particular, temperatures would be a major bonus particularly diff and oil. I can get throttle position via OBD2 however as my car is old the refresh rate is only 3.3hz even with the Kiwi 3. I already pull RPM so requesting throttle position would half the data rate.

Regards

Mack
    Hi i spent a day at the track yesterday the Brake and throttle sensing went well, there is a small change Weston is doing in the next release to fix a small error in the logging but it all went very well.

If you get your self a ESP32 , im using this one from alliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3292...27424c4dUzC7n1 i will put together a scmatic so you can have a play . PM me your email address and ill send you my code . for the brake and throttle sensing im curently using these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...c91c4c4dF3Rt9z

but i might change to a different type soon as ihad to 3d print parts to make these sensors work .
    Last edited by moth4017; 12-08-2020 at 11:40 AM.