Thread: extremely RICH after WOT pulls - Supercharged WK1 Jeep SRT8

Potential Tuner

Question extremely RICH after WOT pulls - Supercharged WK1 Jeep SRT8

Hey guys,

just trying to figure out a problem here. I have a magnuson supercharged wk1 with 1000cc injectors I'm having a problem with afr going EXTREMELY rich right after a heavy WOT pull, it lasts for about 8-10 seconds. Its so rich that if i shift the car into neutral it will die and have a hard time starting again from engine flooding. I have everything shut off for cooling the cats and tried shutting off decel fuel too.
    Previously i had smaller injectors and still had the same issue with rich after WOT (10.0 afr) but with the 1000cc injectors its richer than 8.2 afr.

I've attached my tune and a log.

Any help is greatly appreciated, at this point i don't want to do anymore pulls as I'm not a fan of washing out cylinder walls!

-Adrian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by adriank View Post
    Hey guys,

just trying to figure out a problem here. I have a magnuson supercharged wk1 with 1000cc injectors I'm having a problem with afr going EXTREMELY rich right after a heavy WOT pull, it lasts for about 8-10 seconds. Its so rich that if i shift the car into neutral it will die and have a hard time starting again from engine flooding. I have everything shut off for cooling the cats and tried shutting off decel fuel too.
    Previously i had smaller injectors and still had the same issue with rich after WOT (10.0 afr) but with the 1000cc injectors its richer than 8.2 afr.

I've attached my tune and a log.

Any help is greatly appreciated, at this point i don't want to do anymore pulls as I'm not a fan of washing out cylinder walls!

-Adrian
    enable dfco as a band-aid and check your injector characteristics

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by malikib View Post
    enable dfco as a band-aid and check your injector characteristics
    I tried, Enabling dfco has no effect
    Kinda lost here

I tried, Enabling dfco has no effect
    Kinda lost here
    Enable DFCO, set delay to 1 sec. Was this tuned on a DYNO?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed39 View Post
    Enable DFCO, set delay to 1 sec. Was this tuned on a DYNO?
    It wasn?t tuned a dyno, Johan tuned it remotely.
    What should the other deceleration fuel cutoff settings be set to? Like enable map, disable map etc.

The super rich decel fuel right after WOT has always been a problem but it?s way worse
    Now with bigger injectors. They just open up all the way and DUMP fuel.

Thanks
    Adrian

It wasn?t tuned a dyno, Johan tuned it remotely.
    What should the other deceleration fuel cutoff settings be set to? Like enable map, disable map etc.

The super rich decel fuel right after WOT has always been a problem but it?s way worse
    Now with bigger injectors. They just open up all the way and DUMP fuel.

Thanks
    Adrian

Why have you went with such a large inj? I would also try upping the FA dec to .0500. See how it responds . I would try with the DFCO map settings back to stock and maybe disable map around 70 or 80 if stock settings don't do enough. This is only me thinking and have zero idea if it will work .

Advanced Tuner
    Have you noticed that your calculated engine load is fluctuating between 0 and 100 percent during decel after the 3rd WOT pull in your log (time marker 21:10, or 09:10 - depending on which time marker you're looking at)? That's also the instance at which fuel pulse jumps from 0 to a peak of 322 ms (at time marker 09:10:15.284). That definitely shouldn't be happening. I don't see you logging airflow anywhere, and I see a lot of non-essential PIDs that you are logging. But, just taking a stab in the dark, I'm guessing the reason engine load is showing 100% intermittently during decel is due to calculated airflow reaching the maximum inferred airflow limits in the diagnostics portion (torque correlation) of the tune. It appears that max airflow vs rpm and max airflow vs tps has been decreased from stock for whatever reason. That could have a bearing on why load is jumping, and may be the cause of fuel pulse jumping during the same instance.

Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    Have you noticed that your calculated engine load is fluctuating between 0 and 100 percent during decel after the 3rd WOT pull in your log (time marker 21:10, or 09:10 - depending on which time marker you're looking at)? That's also the instance at which fuel pulse jumps from 0 to a peak of 322 ms (at time marker 09:10:15.284). That definitely shouldn't be happening. I don't see you logging airflow anywhere, and I see a lot of non-essential PIDs that you are logging. But, just taking a stab in the dark, I'm guessing the reason engine load is showing 100% intermittently during decel is due to calculated airflow reaching the maximum inferred airflow limits in the diagnostics portion (torque correlation) of the tune. It appears that max airflow vs rpm and max airflow vs tps has been decreased from stock for whatever reason. That could have a bearing on why load is jumping, and may be the cause of fuel pulse jumping during the same instance.
    I agree on too many PID. I would not change injectors unless they are above 85 % duty cycle. I'm not sure if the duty cycle can be logged though, but 550cc injectors are around 59lbs , and i would think would be plenty .

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    I'll probably just leave Johan to it and not go WOT until problem is fixec, i dont wanna mess anything up, i think hes just been busy over the holidays!

What you're saying makes sense though. Ill pass this info off to him too, i appreciate the feedback!

Potential Tuner
    Sorry there's a ton of PIDs as i was using Troy Dings logging channel as we needed to do some transmission tuning. I was at 100% duty cycle on 46lb injectors so you are correct, 550cc would have worked fine. I've always gone a bit larger because I know ill add more boost down the road. Hopefully Johan can sort all this out, he seems like a pretty reputable tuner.