Thread: 05 Silverado 5.3 turbo, flex fuel Help

Tuner in Training

05 Silverado 5.3 turbo, flex fuel Help

Hello,
    I am new to tuning in fact just purchased HPtuners. What I have is an issue when the truck is cold when I try and drive it stumbles around 2400rpm goes very rich and die's. Once the truck is good and warm it runs great. The tuner that originally tuned the truck is completely lost as to what to do next. Any help would greatly be appreciated.20-11-19 16-53-57.hpl

Parts list?

Tune file?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Parts list?

Tune file?

Parts list:

FIC1000 Injectors, 80mm turbo, flex fuel, 3 bar, Holley EFI manifold with elbow. 102mm BDC throttle body. Stock Bottom end, 243 heads port n polished, Texas speed cam 223/230 .600, AEM single nozzle Methanol Injection,

05silverado3barFLEX Tune 1.hpt

Do you have O2 sensors? I don't see a stft reading? Is there a wideband input? A Maf?
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Do you have O2 sensors? I don't see a stft reading? Is there a wideband input? A Maf?
    Yes there are 2 02 sensors, NO MAF tuned for speed density, Wide band is a separate gauge, See attached log. the one I posted first I had in closed loop.

20-11-14 15-58-12.hpl

Have you tuned with the wideband in EQ ratio error vs commanded EQ?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wildfan1976 View Post
    Have you tuned with the wideband in EQ ratio error vs commanded EQ?
    I have no idea what that is yet, I am very new to the tuning world. I am really trying to figure out what is wrong with my tune so I can get it fixed.

Looks like it is rich at idle---
    Go to DTC's and make P0101,102,103 to MIL on First error, not no mil light. Then you will be in SD.
    Enrichment ramp in--2.00
    Boost EQ--1.25across
    If it shows rich like your STFT's show, modify your VE table to lean it to + or - 4 or -5. When you modify the ve table, be sure to click on smooth selection to keep it fairly smooth. If you have some spikes from letting off the gas, you may need to manually push them back in line.
    After you write the calibration, open the scanner, turn the key to ON, go to special functions and click on Fuel and reset fuel trims. This will save you some time between tune changes. Just sitting idling is not going to do much good.

Tuner in Training
    Looks like it is rich at idle---
    Go to DTC's and make P0101,102,103 to MIL on First error, not no mil light. Then you will be in SD.
    Enrichment ramp in--2.00
    Boost EQ--1.25across
    If it shows rich like your STFT's show, modify your VE table to lean it to + or - 4 or -5. When you modify the ve table, be sure to click on smooth selection to keep it fairly smooth. If you have some spikes from letting off the gas, you may need to manually push them back in line.
    After you write the calibration, open the scanner, turn the key to ON, go to special functions and click on Fuel and reset fuel trims. This will save you some time between tune changes. Just sitting idling is not going to do much good.
    Thank you, I will try this tomorrow.

Should I lean the VE entirely or just up to 2400 rpm where I have been having my problem?

Put it in SD and then clear fuel trims. Start it and see how the stft's look after it warms up and goes into closed loop. Then start making changes to the idle and low rpm ve portion. Don't go changing the whole table with 15%.

Tuner in Training
    Put it in SD and then clear fuel trims. Start it and see how the stft's look after it warms up and goes into closed loop. Then start making changes to the idle and low rpm ve portion. Don't go changing the whole table with 15%.
    Made changes you suggested above. Thank you the truck runs very well now. I did not make any changes to the fuel trims yet wanted you input if its even needed. It did fall completely at 5200rpm Not sure why that is STFT fuel trims are reading 0. Let me knw your thoughts and again thank you.

20-12-01 15-08-07.hpl

When you free rev it like that, it doesn't have time to get enough info to populate the table. It also messes up the rest of the table with lean spikes when you let off. You were at 160 kpa at one point. Where is your wideband and boost EQ table?
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 12-02-2020 at 07:01 AM.

Tuner in Training
    When you free rev it like that, it doesn't have time to get enough info to populate the table. It also messes up the rest of the table with lean spikes when you let off. You were at 160 kpa at one point. Where is your wideband and boost EQ table?
    Not sure what you mean by the wideband and boost eq table? I did set the boost EQ 1.25 across the board. Sorry I am very new at this and trying to learn it and also dealing with getting COVID last week.

Tuner in Training
    OK fellow tuning experts I really need some help. Once again my truck will not let me drive past 2400rpm. Once I throttle up to that rpm it just dies. I for the life of me cannot figure out what is going on. I have tried to richen up the fuel at the low rpm range but haven't been able to really drive the truck to get a good log.

21-02-04 16-50-39.hpl
    SD tune 1-29.hpt

I'm by no means a Tuning expert...
    Couple of things I noticed: Your wide band says its set up for Lambda yet it appears to be reading AFR numbers....

You are commanding 10.1 AFR (which if Alcohol % is accurate that seems correct) Your wide band is reading 14.XX, but again I'm not sure what it is actually reading... Lets assume its reading AFR, you have a huge error (lean) compared to your commanded...
    But then look at your fuel trims, they are pig rich, so conflicting info...

Lets assume your fuel trims (from o2 sensors) are correct, I'm not sure they are rich enough to kill it...
    I would start looking mechanically. Log Crank Position, Cam Position, Fuel Pressure, ECM Volts, TPS Volts, ETC...
    I had a Lumina back in 1998 that had an o2 sensor power wire that would occasionally rub on the exhaust, short, and car would instantly die. No codes set, took a long damn time to find it..
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    I'm by no means a Tuning expert...
    Couple of things I noticed: Your wide band says its set up for Lambda yet it appears to be reading AFR numbers....

You are commanding 10.1 AFR (which if Alcohol % is accurate that seems correct) Your wide band is reading 14.XX, but again I'm not sure what it is actually reading... Lets assume its reading AFR, you have a huge error (lean) compared to your commanded...
    But then look at your fuel trims, they are pig rich, so conflicting info...

Lets assume your fuel trims (from o2 sensors) are correct, I'm not sure they are rich enough to kill it...
    I would start looking mechanically. Log Crank Position, Cam Position, Fuel Pressure, ECM Volts, TPS Volts, ETC...
    I had a Lumina back in 1998 that had an o2 sensor power wire that would occasionally rub on the exhaust, short, and car would instantly die. No codes set, took a long damn time to find it..
    So after checking all the wires in the harness I started replacing sensors one at a time. By pure luck I started with the TPS sensor and I am happy to report that the issue has been resolved. I have attached a log which still shows lean this log is with o2 are turned off just logging the AFR. I am wondering how much fuel I should add. I have tried to add by 1/2% but that causes a very high spike.

21-02-07 12-17-58.hpl

You have to get your afr or lambda figured out. Your commanded shows afr and your actual at the wideband shows lambda with some crazy numbers that don't make sense. You have to get that straightened out before you can know whether to add or subtract fuel. Look at the scanner help section to get this sorted.