Thread: 2000 Corvette LS1 stock, TPS 0 volts but able to read %

Potential Tuner

2000 Corvette LS1 stock, TPS 0 volts but able to read %

First off, Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I'll try to post as much info as I can to help with the situation. I have never used HPTuners before but have gotten some 5.3's to run on Megasquirt a few years ago.

Long story short this car was bought wrecked in the front end.
    All damage done to lower radiator support and body panels. Right after getting the car I replaced the intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets and installed a Vararam Intake. I've uninstalled the air pump, and purge tank along with the lines that run behind the engine and connect to the ports on the headers. I have cut off the flanges, and welded the holes shut till I do headers.

Today was the first day of really getting the car running and instantly we had an issue where it was stalling about 3 seconds after starting to move the car. It seemed as if the throttle was just getting cut off as it didn't matter what rpm I was at when I was starting to move forward(I promise I didn't rev it over 3k).

Ultimately once we got the car in the garage it's able to idle by itself and I was able to let it idle for a good 20 minutes, letting the car get up to temp. Testing fans, checking for coolant leaks etc. etc.

While idling the car seems to have a small missfire that also tends to carry into a little bit of hesitate while free revving. It's extremely noticeable around 1000-1600 rpms. I tried to catch this in the log.

Once I got my HPTuners loaded on my laptop and connected I noticed that my TPS is sticking around 8% without my foot on the throttle, it does however correctly report to 100%. The oddest thing I noticed was that the voltage for the TPS is at 0.00 volts. Not sure how it's getting a percentage without the voltage considering the TPS needs the 5v's to operate correctly.

I am also not certain that I properly added the TPS's voltage to my table through HPTuners but I do feel that's kinda hard to mess up.. unless there's a setting or check box that I forget to click somewhere.

I have not been able to check this with a multi-meter as mine is broken however, Prime should have one to me in 2 days.

I would assume if the TPS is actually getting 0 volts that could be what was causing the stalling issues I was having when trying to move the car as it fell like it was just cutting my throttle while steadily holding my foot on the gas.

I don't think I'm seeing anything too out of the ordinary in the logs however I'm still learning the software and don't feel confident in my ability to properly read everything yet. So I do apologize if there is anything obvious. I have been researching and trying to learn as much as I can.

In the log this is me idling the car with a few throttle blips and ultimately getting the car up to temp to test my fan curve. I do have them set to come on at 215 since it will be seeing some track abuse, and I ended the log whenever the car got below 200 degrees.

Thanks again for everyone's times and efforts. tps test.hpl

Off Topic, if anyone happens to be interested in the rebuild you can find all my videos made so far here:
    https://youtu.be/oRwEGyJ_YfI

Senior Tuner
    It has an ETC throttle body. It's not going to read like a cable throttle body with an IAC and conventional TPS. PCM opens and closes the TB for idle control so you won't see 0% at idle. Around 8% is typical but could be higher or lower depending on TB size and idle speed. You should be logging ETC position. ETCs have 2 opposite reading internal TPS sensors one that sweeps 0-5V and the other sweeps 5-0V as it moves. I don't think I've ever logged TPS voltage on a ETC vehicle. Usually ETC position is all you need unless you are having issues with Reduced Power Mode or other ETC faults. I would have to look at what other PIDs are available to log on that.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    It has an ETC throttle body. It's not going to read like a cable throttle body with an IAC and conventional TPS. PCM opens and closes the TB for idle control so you won't see 0% at idle. Around 8% is typical but could be higher or lower depending on TB size and idle speed. You should be logging ETC position. ETCs have 2 opposite reading internal TPS sensors one that sweeps 0-5V and the other sweeps 5-0V as it moves. I don't think I've ever logged TPS voltage on a ETC vehicle. Usually ETC position is all you need unless you are having issues with Reduced Power Mode or other ETC faults. I would have to look at what other PIDs are available to log on that.
    2xLS1,

Thank you so much for this. I feel somewhat dense for not even thinking about this, however that makes total sense lol.
    I'll start looking at the ETC position and I expect that there's probably no major issues there.