Thread: 2006 dodge cummins megacab My first diesel tune.

Potential Tuner

2006 dodge cummins megacab My first diesel tune.

so this is my first time messing with a tune on a diesel engine ive spent days looking through forums and posts but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot available or maybe im just looking in the wrong places. But ill give you guys a run down of what the truck is and what im trying to do. truck is a 2006 cummins mega cab 4x4 100% bone stock aside from 5 inch straight pipe. its a buddy of mine and we wanna have a good daily driver tune, and would like to have a max effort tune for when he hooks to the sled with it. Ive spent the last couple weeks on it and just cant get to where im happy with the tunes. from what ive gathered pedal map, full throttle fueling, injector PW, and main SOI timing are the main things but am i missing anything? I attached both the current tune i have made and the stock one for you guys to look at.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mikeymann93; 11-29-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymann93 View Post
    so this is my first time messing with a tune on a diesel engine ive spent days looking through forums and posts but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot available or maybe im just looking in the wrong places. But ill give you guys a run down of what the truck is and what im trying to do. truck is a 2006 cummins mega cab 4x4 100% bone stock aside from 5 inch straight pipe. its a buddy of mine and we wanna have a good daily driver tune, and would like to have a max effort tune for when he hooks to the sled with it. Ive spent the last couple weeks on it and just cant get to where im happy with the tunes. from what ive gathered pedal map, full throttle fueling, injector PW, and main SOI timing are the main things but am i missing anything? I attached both the current tune i have made and the stock one for you guys to look at.
    Please whatever you do.. Dont drive this truck with this tune.. that amount of pulsewidth can hurt somethings you dont have to pass 3200us and you only need to edit the the bottom right of that map.. You have limiters still in places, you could pick up a lot of power with timing also your rail pressure needs adjusted

Banned
    I haven?t looked at this tune or the other recent 2006 tune someone else posted but I?m seeing a reoccurring theme here on pulsewidth. It has been stated many times in this forum that 3200us injection duration is max for stock vehicles. This isn?t the only forum out there where this is stated. Please people that have never tuned these trucks before or done any tuning before, do your research first before beginning with tuning and start out with small changes. Make one small change at a time and learn what it will do. Especially if you are learning or never done it before and you are using someone else?s vehicle as your test bench, would suck to completely destroy someone else?s vehicle out of ignorance.

I look at the log STOP USING THIS TUNE.....5700us of duration at 3000rpm with 2? of timing...you will burn something
    And log rail pressure desired and actual
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    I haven?t looked at this tune or the other recent 2006 tune someone else posted but I?m seeing a reoccurring theme here on pulsewidth. It has been stated many times in this forum that 3200us injection duration is max for stock vehicles. This isn?t the only forum out there where this is stated. Please people that have never tuned these trucks before or done any tuning before, do your research first before beginning with tuning and start out with small changes. Make one small change at a time and learn what it will do. Especially if you are learning or never done it before and you are using someone else?s vehicle as your test bench, would suck to completely destroy someone else?s vehicle out of ignorance.
    Sent you a PM, Jim.

You've got enough duration for two trucks!

Potential Tuner
    Alright everyone i guess i should have added to the original post that the truck isnt driving on this tune it was put back to stock the same day because i wasnt comforable with what i was changing and not know what all tables needed changed and from the responses i received it was a good thing so you all can breath a sigh of relief for that. i have thrown that tune away and and starting fresh. which tables would you guys recommend adjusting. if possible a little explanation on why those im just trying to understand the diesel tuning and how to do it safely and correctly.

thanks
    Mike

Hey there! Welcome to the diesel tuning world. It can definitely be overwhelming at first, but don't give up! It sounds like you've been doing your research and trying to figure out the best approach for your buddy's 2006 Cummins Mega Cab. I can definitely relate to the struggles of trying to find the right tune. Have you considered looking into a Maxxforce 13 delete for the EGR? That can make a big difference in performance and can help with some of the issues you may be encountering. Keep us updated on your progress and don't hesitate to ask for help! We're all here to learn and share our knowledge. Good luck!
    Last edited by amiladhishan; 02-07-2023 at 03:38 AM.

Potential Tuner
    It's great to see you diving into the world of diesel tuning for your 2006 Cummins megacab. Tuning can be a bit of a puzzle, but it sounds like you're on the right track. You've already identified some crucial parameters like pedal map, full throttle fueling, injector PW, and main SOI timing. These are indeed key factors in getting your tunes just right. As for the daily driver tune and the max effort tune for sled pulling, it's all about finding that perfect balance between power and efficiency. It might take some trial and error, but don't get discouraged. Tuning can be a learning process. For anyone else interested in truck tuning, don't forget to explore spare parts for truck. Having the right parts can make a world of difference in performance.
    Last edited by Tankohilery; 09-11-2023 at 04:21 AM.