Thread: KB Silverado off idle lean and insane duty cycles. (Going Crazy Over Here!)

KB Silverado off idle lean and insane duty cycles. (Going Crazy Over Here!)

Two Separate issues, Hoping to get some help.

Vehicle Details
    2008 Silverado
    Originally a 4.8 Truck, Several years ago was swapped to 5.3, Tech 2 loaded proper stock ECM calibration.
    2.6L Kenne Bell
    3/4" Thick Phenolic Spacers
    LS9 Injectors
    Newly installed BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam (227/242 .612/.592 122+6)

Went to 2BAR OS recently. (To gain boost enrichment)

ISSUE 1:
    Prior to cam swap (and still there after), he would tell me if he eased off immediately after a cold start it would struggle and die. This screen shot was from the only time i've been able to replicate it, but on a cold start, if you get this truck into the boost (super easy to do), there is apparently a multiplier somewhere that creates huge duty cycles. Has anyone ever seen something similar to give me an idea where to look for this? If the truck runs 30 seconds before you pull off, it doesn't happen.

Duty Cycle.jpg

ISSUE 2: (UPDATE: THIS IS MOSTLY RESOLVED, PRIMARILY CONCERNED WITH ISSUE 1 NOW)
    I've gone in a bunch of circles on this one. The truck goes very lean on almost every take off for 1-2 seconds. Drivability wise, it creates a minor hesitation when you touch the throttle.

I've tried to turn the transients up, and I end up getting it super rich on other transitions without solving this one. I abused the area of the VE table that is hit on take off to make it way to rich with no real change. (it's put back to normal in attached file)

I've dialed in the VE tables (3500 and under) and MAF within reason.

I'm not sure if the combination of the angled LS9 injector spray and the phenolic spacer is putting a ton of fuel on the walls and has the transients super freaked out, or if that's not related.

I've not adjusted EOIT for this cam because it does not have any overlap, but I'm not opposed to trying it, if it's a possible cause. Anybody have some direction on EOIT with no overlap and a maxed injector?

The log attached is from tuning VE, the maf was failed at the time, the first several minutes are sitting in the mcd's drive through, lol, but there are a few take offs in it. The tune attached is the current revision with MAF failed, no promises it doesn't have any crazy things i've tried to fix this still in it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 383_Stroker; 12-17-2020 at 11:39 AM.

On issue 1, could it be the IVT Open loop multiplier? Your O2 sensor readiness delay is very short so it will go into CL within 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff7577 View Post
    On issue 1, could it be the IVT Open loop multiplier? Your O2 sensor readiness delay is very short so it will go into CL within 30 seconds.
    I'm not sure if the IVT Gain table is the cause or not, but if it is, I've made it worse in the last week, haha. I've been cranking it up because the truck has been lean on a cold starts even with the VE and MAF dialed in warm.

Update: As i've richened up my cold start, i am getting the crazy high pulse widths sporadically while idling. So, what ever is causing the pulse width to jump, is tied to demand.

I've put my IVT gains back stock, which has it idling super lean on a cold start, but like i said when i try to richen it up, I get the big jump in pulsewidth showing up.

pulse.jpg

In this attachment you can see it jump to 400% IDC, and kill the engine when it does

I've rescaled the zr1 injector data to fit my pressure delta column headers (it was off previously).

I've pulled some cranking FA multiplier out of it thinking it might be carrying over.

I've banged my head against the wall. No help so far.

The current tune is attached. I am starting to wonder if I need to have a different OS loaded, or maybe just this one reloaded, it's like a multiplier somewhere is off.
    Last edited by 383_Stroker; 12-17-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Used a Tech2 to reload the original 4.8OS back into the truck, then did 2 bar OS mod to it and copied my changes back in. The issue with the large Pulse Width/IDC is lessened after this, but still present.

I'm still struggling on cold starts to get enough fuel in it to reach desired afr, without it sporadically spiking the injector demand and flooding the engine. Which then requires a flood clear start, and if I have to work the throttle to keep it running it spikes the injector demand again and floods it again. Once it runs 15-30 seconds it's a total non-issue.

I've put the IVT gains and the Open loops gains back closer to stock in this attached file, because it's less likely to have the injector issue when it's commanded leaner.

I've got no ideas left for this issue. Anyone ever seen anything similar at all?

Attached is the current tune file.
    Last edited by 383_Stroker; 03-10-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Hey mate,
    Ive got a really similar issue. massive injector spikes on cold start to the point of fouled plugs.. Did you find where the issue was? Im at a loss with mine.