Thread: Where is this Knock Retard coming from?

Tuner in Training TheWildWolverine's Avatar

Where is this Knock Retard coming from?

Hey guys, I'm working on a 5.3 with a stage 2 tsp cam. I keep getting knock retard popping up at various times during logging. I've attached a couple scans that show some KR. I'm not sure what may be causing this or if its a normal amount. The timing table is almost completely stock aside from some bumps around the idle and just off idle area. Anything I'm missing? I sometimes see as high as 7* of KR

Fourth VE Run with VSS, 11-29-20.hpl
    Log with VE and MAF (and Knock Retard).hpl
    K35 Installed Tune.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    You may have a noisy valvetrain.

Check all the basics. Make sure you are using good fuel, maybe one step colder plugs (TR6), and check fuel pressure. Does it have headers on it? Cats?
    2017 JKU Rubicon: Purple, long arms, tons, 40s, Banks CAI, Borla cat-back, TD2/HPT tuned, daily.
    2017 GMC Sierra SLT: 6.2/ 8spd. Just getting started on it...

Tuner in Training TheWildWolverine's Avatar
    It does have shorty headers on it, no cats though. We checked around the engine bay, too, and found an area where the block may be making contact with the crossmember at times. Hope to have that sorted out today. Fuel pressure has checked out good.

If it is just from a noisy valvetrain, how would I go about that situation and still maintain functional knock sensors to tune timing?

I'll see if he can swap to TR6 plugs as well, I'm not sure exactly what is in there now