Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replace 65RFE with 66RFE - 2013 Ram 1500 2WD

Speaking from the Cummins/68RFE side, there isn’t really an impossibility of taking the CM2350 transmission section of the calibration and putting it into a CM2200, if you understand code and how it’s all structured and everything. When it comes to the gas Ram trucks with the 65/66RFE, it’s mostly likely no different from how it is when it comes to the Cummins and the 68RFE. Where the issues lie is things move around to varying degrees from calibration to calibration, model year to model year. So specifics within transmission code in a 2016 calibration with a 66RFE likely would not point to the same location if copied over into say a 2013 calibration with a 65RFE and these pointers would need to be corrected within the code. “Upgrading” the CM2200 calibration, specifically a 2012 with transmission coding and parameters from a 2018 CM2350 is something that I’m actually working on and it is not a lightweight adventure, it’s pretty intense.

If you got a calibration with a 65RFE and a calibration with a 66RFE post them up, I can take a quick peak and see how easily it would be to transpose a 66RFE transmission section into a 65RFE calibration. Say like a 2013 65RFE calibration and a 2017 66RFE calibration. I’m on the side of it not being so simple.
    Last edited by Jim P 2.0; 1 Week Ago at 11:07 AM.

Somewhere in my bag I got a 2014 65FRE calibration that I did some transmission tuning on way back when

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P 2.0 View Post
    Speaking from the Cummins/68RFE side, there isn’t really an impossibility of taking the CM2350 transmission section of the calibration and putting it into a CM2200, if you understand code and how it’s all structured and everything. When it comes to the gas Ram trucks with the 65/66RFE, it’s mostly likely no different from how it is when it comes to the Cummins and the 68RFE. Where the issues lie is things move around to varying degrees from calibration to calibration, model year to model year. So specifics within transmission code in a 2016 calibration with a 66RFE likely would not point to the same location if copied over into say a 2013 calibration with a 65RFE and these pointers would need to be corrected within the code. “Upgrading” the CM2200 calibration, specifically a 2012 with transmission coding and parameters from a 2018 CM2350 is something that I’m actually working on and it is not a lightweight adventure, it’s pretty intense.
    That would definitely be above my paygrade at that point, I know my limitations, and tip my hat to you on that one. As much as I would love to get that deep into it I also enjoy having a few hours for sleep lol. I have so much time invested in all the prototype work I am doing on the hydraulic side right now. So this is where I confer with gentlemen such as yourself where I only know enough to be dangerous to make sure the tuning side will support the hydraulic and mechanical side modifications I am making. Like right now I am completely redesigning the SSV lineup in the 19 and newer 68s to be more stable and eliminate the OD feed so it cannot possibly leak and throw the dreaded p0871 that spells the end of the OD clutches.

If you got a calibration with a 65RFE and a calibration with a 66RFE post them up, I can take a quick peak and see how easily it would be to transpose a 66RFE transmission section into a 65RFE calibration. Say like a 2013 65RFE calibration and a 2017 66RFE calibration. I?m on the side of it not being so simple.
    I just threw a 66 file from an NGC4 in there for good measure in case anyone 12 or older wants to do this too. I really am curious what sort of work this will need. I did more digging on my 13 shop truck and I have the dreaded 44-44, so my 66 swap timeline will be bumped up now. I'll probably just do a few passes with the 6.4 after I get it in and start looking at the 66 swap.

13 hemi stan.hptHague 18 Hemi.hpt12 66rfe.hpt

I’ll take a peak this evening and see what I can see on it

Parameter mapping is no issue with the RFE transmissions, I know what virtually everything is in the calibrations newer than the ngc4 calibrations and how the structure is on the parameters. Real question is what kind of difference there is in the coding between the 65RFE and the 66RFE and how easily it would be to move the 66RFE code/parameters into a 65RFE calibration and then comes the question of the checksums and CVN so HP Tuners can open it and write it.

Yeah it would be complex taking the full 66rfe code and parameters and moving it into a 65RFE calibration

with enough time i could analyze it all deeper and whatnot but it would take me awhile to get to and to get through. At later time. I got other stuff on the go I'm trying to pile through and can only put so much on my plate at once.
    Last edited by Jim P 2.0; 1 Week Ago at 10:09 PM.

with enough time i could analyze it all deeper and whatnot but it would take me awhile to get to and to get through. At later time. I got other stuff on the go I'm trying to pile through and can only put so much on my plate at once.
    Certainly seems you have a few irons in the fire, doesn't make sense to put a bunch of effort in until someone is ready to do the swap as well.

Just a few irons in the fire lol. Some have been on hiatus for like a year as I just didn’t have the time at all for them. Now I do kinda have some time I can put towards things I put on pause. The biggest right now is getting a 2018 68rfe code and parameters functional on my 2012 CMD, minus a few parameters and logic that isn’t needed in there, the UD air prevention. Don’t need that and wouldn’t work for me anyways as I run higher pressure.

Just a few irons in the fire lol. Some have been on hiatus for like a year as I just didn?t have the time at all for them. Now I do kinda have some time I can put towards things I put on pause. The biggest right now is getting a 2018 68rfe code and parameters functional on my 2012 CMD, minus a few parameters and logic that isn?t needed in there, the UD air prevention. Don?t need that and wouldn?t work for me anyways as I run higher pressure.
    Oh I totally get that, with the current state of things it's just a struggle to keep bills paid. Let alone set time aside for extra projects... Also, before I forget, I do have a file from a 14 power wagon, that would be the same controller as a 13, you mind taking a quick peek at that compatibility?

Charles Acock From PCM.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by VPP1776 View Post
    Oh I totally get that, with the current state of things it's just a struggle to keep bills paid. Let alone set time aside for extra projects... Also, before I forget, I do have a file from a 14 power wagon, that would be the same controller as a 13, you mind taking a quick peek at that compatibility?

Struggle to keep bills paid is a harsh reality for real. I’ll take a peak at it this evening sometime, due to the nature of how things are structured within the coding of these things I would expect the same if its calibration ID and revision number isn’t the same.

Quote Originally Posted by VPP1776 View Post

Same deal, lots of code modifications would need to be made to make that work in a different calibration. One key difference I notice between the transmission code in these gas calibrations the Cummins calibration is the gas puts way more parameters into ram and uses them from ram than it does in the Cummins calibrations. Not sure why. Chrysler does weird stuff in their code though. Major difference between how Cummins does things and how Chrysler does things.

One thing suppose could be done is full parameter mapping between a 65RFE and 66RFE and see what’s set differently as far as parameters go but it would be more challenging without pulling data from ram. The whole process would be more challenging without pulling data from ram really. Depending on how closely the code matches the 68RFE code, I could use that as a basis to figure out the 65 and 66RFE.
    Last edited by Jim P 2.0; 4 Days Ago at 11:28 PM.

some instruction sets aren't getting recognized either leaving many functions in the code incomplete and unviewable.

I'll share a user defined parameter file here shortly for that power wagon tune file

Enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'll share a user defined parameter file here shortly for that power wagon tune file
    You know, I have been tempted to unlock user defined parameters, but I feel like that's a dangerous rabbit hole lol... I probably will now just because I am curious

If you don’t know what you are looking at it could potentially be a dangerous rabbit hole lol. That xdf file contains some configuration bits for shift scheduling and lockup that isn’t mapped by hp tuners on that calibration. I could get much deeper far beyond anything HP Tuners has mapped in their software for any of the RFE transmissions but…
    Last edited by Jim P 2.0; 2 Days Ago at 06:51 PM.