Thread: 6L-80 no shift at WOT

Potential Tuner

6L-80 no shift at WOT

New to the trans tuning especially something as new as my truck. I'm working with this 6l-80 and its doing great on just cruising and mild hits but when I'm a WOT the engine will go to 6,100rpm but until it falls back till closer to 5,800 or so it will not shift. I started with a base tune from a reputable tuner in my area but like i said i am by no means a professional tuner just trying to make some power. If you guys have any help it is Greatly appreciated.

Here's the most updated tune if someone could check it out for me and atleast give me some suggestions that'd be great.

2014 tune 4.hpt
    Last edited by Pearl14; 05-27-2022 at 11:12 AM.

If you are really going up to 6,200rpm then there is a problem. The calibration file you posted has the fuel cut off at 5,800rpm and the full throttle shift rpm at 5,900rpm.

Are you really running 36in tires on this truck?

I have a feeling your shift mph settings are all messed up too. I took a tune file from a similar truck and put the same size tires into the gear tire wizard and came out with way different shift speeds than you have.

There is no reason to shift above 5,900rpm on a stock engine with stock valve springs, there is no extra power up there.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I cant get my Log file with that tune to upload but I had it register a couple peaks at 6,100 but being honest the gauge on the dash was pegging at 6k yesterday that's what I was basing it off of. I do need to correct that original post as I meant to put 6,100 not 6,200.

I have 36x13.50 tires, I do think that some of those mph's are off but I really was going off of a very general knowledge of it.

As far as fixing those mph's do you think i should just start over with my stock file? The truck has a New transmission with less than 2k miles so I was wondering if that may effect how I needed to tune it also.

I would start over. Go to the website of the people that sell your tires and see if they list the true rolling diameter of those tires so you can plug that into the gear tire wizard. Then have it auto scale the transmission settings. Many tires are sold as 35's or 36's but the real rolling diameter is 34.6 or 35.5 for example.

From there you can alter a few things like are already in that tune file, like your shift times and torque converter settings.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Okay, I figured out my rolling diameter from the manufacture. I'm going to pull my stock file back up and try to see what it changes when I input the tire wizard settings. it sucks I've put a lot of time into that tune lol

Advanced Tuner
    Double check transmission fluid level also.

Potential Tuner
    Did you get this problem fixed?
    I have the same issue.

Potential Tuner
    I did! I spent a couple hours going back through and ended up doing a lot more work to the mph shifts on the WOT along with my max shift rpm. If you post a file I can try to help you out. I?m on my phone so I can?t attach mine but I will post it later when I?m home if that can help you.