Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Performance Mode Switch Option

Performance Mode Switch Option

To make a direct PCM connected performance mode switch on LS1 PCM's you need to do the following:

1. Change the Perf Option to "1 Switch"

2. Wire a momentary ground switch to pin J1-71 on the PCM (the blue connector).

Note: Momentary ground means a switch that is grounded when depressed and open circuit when released again. DO NOT use a regular toggle or latching style switch or it won't work. The PCM expects this pin to be grounded only when the switch is pressed to toggle the shift mode.
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    Sweet.

How do you know which condition the PCM has
    toggled to, in normal driving (other than trans
    action)? Is there a corresponding PCM output?

Maybe we should make a widget that produces
    both a pulse and a toggled output for indicator.

Hi all,
    New to most of this. I have seen the new perf switch option in v14, but don't have much of a clue? I know that it does something to the transmission, more than likely makes it performance shift. Am I close? If so that is cool. Now about this momentary ground switch? where do you get one and how does it work? If it is installed do i press it when i want performance or does it kick in by its self. I know that these questions might make me seem dumb but i have never heard of this before. Any info on what this is all about would be great. Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Eric
    2000 Transam- SLP Lid, K&N Filter, SLP Air Induction Kit, TB Bypass, Ported TB, Stock MAF, All Free Mods, 160 T-Stat, Pacesetter Long Tubes, TSP Catted Y-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth 2 Catback, HP Tuners, UMI Performance Suspension Stuff

Tuner
    Am I correct in saying that this switch will do the same as the tow/haul mode in a pickup transmission,giving a "performance" mode or a normal mode.
    '99 Silverado ECSB w/5.3, Patriot Performance Heads (2.02in 1.57ex) milled .050, LSXrt intake w/FAST 102mm TB, Comp/EPS Cam (226/230* dur .598/.600" lift 113 +2 LSA), 44# injectors, LS7 Lifters, Stock Rockerarms, Double Roller Timing Chain, ARP Head & Rod Bolts, HV Oil Pump, Vigilante 9" Converter 3600 stall, FLT Level 5 4L65E, K&N 77 series, Pacesetter LT, No Cats, Magnaflow Mufflers, True Duals, TB Bypass, Truetrac, 4.10's, E-Fans, HP Tuner

'10 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, L99, A6: Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    Sweet.

How do you know which condition the PCM has
    toggled to, in normal driving (other than trans
    action)? Is there a corresponding PCM output?

Maybe we should make a widget that produces
    both a pulse and a toggled output for indicator.
    as far as i know the PCM uses class 2 to communicate the current mode to the cluster so it turns the lamp on. I don't see a wire on any diagrams i have.

keeping the switch widget in sync with the PCM would be harder than it sounds i think
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    This should be visible on with the Trans Mode PID. Thanks for adding this Chris.

Now if we only had a setting to change to a different trans.

Tuner in Training custosonlinux's Avatar
    I've found the attached picture in a camaro forum (sorry I don't remember the Link)

maybe we can adapt the information to our PCMs wires?

Last edited by custosonlinux; 03-05-2007 at 06:18 AM.

I dont know about pin J1-71 but I do have a pin 71 on the blue connector that doesn't have any wires run to it. Is this the pin that I need to wire the momentary switch too?

Senior Tuner
    As you can see in the schematic posted just above your's, J1 = Blue Connector, so Pin 71 on the Blue Connector needs the ground switch. And yes, you will need to add a pin and wire to the connector.
    Last edited by 12secSS; 02-24-2007 at 03:24 PM.

Tuner
    This doesn't have anything to do with the "active handling" and "competition mode" button on a c5 vette does it... I didn't think so, but are there any provisions for making my "competition mode" button more accessable? Right now on my '99 c5, I have to be in Park, and push the button down for 5 seconds to get it into perf (comp) mode, can it be made easier?

thanks

--never mind, found answer in another thread. All this thread is about is adding an additional mode to vehicles not already equipped, right?
    Last edited by anymanusa; 03-05-2007 at 10:15 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Correct!

Does anyone know what pin on the 96-00 OBS Vortec (Gen 1 V8's) PCM to trigger the Performance (or might be called Economy) Mode shift table?

I know it is there, but no idea what pin to use. Or is it used by the Low 4WD?

Potential Tuner
    There is no pin on the Vortec VCM. The switch that enables this mode is connected to the BCM, and the BCM issues a Class2 request to enable the mode, so, you need to issue a Class2 request to make this work on the Vortec VCM. The VCM must have this feature enabled, also.

This is how it works on the Gen III trucks, also, but setting the perf switch option to "Class2" alone is not enough to enable the VCM to respond to the proper Class2 request on vehicles that did not have this switch from the factory.

Can the TOW/HAUL mode switch be used for this option on late model trucks?

Was the OBS Vortec (read red headed step child VCM) Class2? I was under the impression Class2 was 2000ish-up. Mine is a 99, which shared most of the VCM from 98, but not 96-97 (not sure what differences, but they are quite similar).

What I could dig up is there IS a Economy mode, (EFILive has Vortec support, so I can look at it in the Demo mode) and the tune I am looking at has all values at 0 mph. So I know it was never setup.

Did GM ever setup a performance shift mode at all on any of the Blazers, Tahoe, Suburbans, vans, etc? Where would I find pinout info on it? I haven't seen it in my 99 FSM yet. But does GM not list it if it isn't used on those models?

Quote Originally Posted by VinceTrifecta
    There is no pin on the Vortec VCM. The switch that enables this mode is connected to the BCM, and the BCM issues a Class2 request to enable the mode, so, you need to issue a Class2 request to make this work on the Vortec VCM. The VCM must have this feature enabled, also.

This is how it works on the Gen III trucks, also, but setting the perf switch option to "Class2" alone is not enough to enable the VCM to respond to the proper Class2 request on vehicles that did not have this switch from the factory.

Potential Tuner
    Class2 in this context = OBD2. So, the 96-99 Vortec falls into this category.

There is no documented pin on the VCM you can use to enable this mode on this VCM. You have to transmit an OBD2 command to enable/disable Economy / Performance / Tow Haul mode, and the feature has to be appropriately enabled in the VCM's calibration.

I work for one of the former OEM PCM suppliers (they sold off that business to Contiental), so I take the busses litteraly... Sorry! I didn't work on PCM's, I worked on Telematics units, but was still isolated from the vehicle bus, so our commands weren't ever seen on that bus, but the other half of our unit did.

I am expecting this to be fairly simple, as my OBD1 PCM's it is very simple to toggle the line to go to Perf mode, or to trigger manual mode, the LS1s it is fairly simple, so I am just expecting the middle of the road VCM's should be fairly simple as well.

Tuner in Training
    can this not be done on a 98 computer ?

I do not have a option of selecting performance switch 1 or switch 2 unlike the newer computers.

If this is the case, the "performance" charts mean nothing to me then, right ?

There is "economy mode" shifting, but I can't find out how to trigger it. The FSM doesn't seem to show that pin. It has to be there, one of the comninations that used that PCM has to have it somewhere. Maybe those trucks that were used in Australia? They used the same body truck there.

Anyone down under who might be able to help?

Ultimately I am going to swap to an 0411 PCM and that has it and is well documented....
    Last edited by n0dih; 07-14-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n0dih
    There is "economy mode" shifting, but I can't find out how to trigger it. The FSM doesn't seem to show that pin. It has to be there, one of the comninations that used that PCM has to have it somewhere. Maybe those trucks that were used in Australia? They used the same body truck there.

Anyone down under who might be able to help?

Ultimately I am going to swap to an 0411 PCM and that has it and is well documented....
    i don't know that these trucks were ever shipped to au in quantites. I'll look into how this is triggered. possibly via class 2, i don't know.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...