Thread: Really rich idle

Potential Tuner

Really rich idle

5.3, unkown cam but it is very mild and probably not much bigger than stock, headers, it also has Bosch 0 280 155 931 injectors (28lb). It is swapped into a 68 C10. It runs really rich especially at idle. Raw fuel out of the tailpipes, strong fumes in the shop. It fouls plugs quick, but my O2 are showing almost full lean? maybe from so much unburnt fuel? Also if I let it go into closed loop this just adds more fuel and compounds the problem.Red C10 Camaro VE.hpt I have tried all that I know to get it leaned out but nothing is working. I even reduced the VE table by 50% from this tune and it still was rich! Any ideas this has me stumped. thanks

What's your fuel pressure?

Is the exhaust 100% complete?

I ask because you can not run o2 sensors with open headers, it screws everything up.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    fuel pressure is 58psi and yes exhaust is complete and doesn't seem to have any leaks

Return the MAF and both VE table back to a stock 5.3 tune values.

Make sure the injector data is correct for those injectors.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    yes I have played around and put both of them back to stock and no change. I am pretty sure the injector data is correct I got it from bosch website. I also have a P1336 code. could that cause it to be excessively rich?

Not likely.

If you know you have no exhaust leaks, injectors leaking or vacuum leaks you will want to get a wideband oxygen sensor to see what is really happening inside the exhaust.

Also make sure the o2 sensors harness are on the correct sides too.

Potential Tuner
    I do need to check the injectors and make sure they are clean and not hanging open or anything. I just don't understand how I can reduce the VE table by 50% and it doesn't make a difference you know? I think its highly unlikely but wondering if someone may have uncapped these injectors at some time. Also thought about pulling the timing cover and looking to see if the cam is degreed right.