Thread: New HP purchase / training recommendations

Potential Tuner

New HP purchase / training recommendations

Hello HPtuners,

I am a career auto technician but have zero experience with tuning fuel injected cars. I want to learn and I'm primarily interested in GM products (although I'd like to do others as well going forward). I currently have 2 customers with GM trucks that I want to disable AFM/DOD on but also personally have a 2005 Sierra with a turbo'd 5.3 I'd like to try to tune. It has already been tuned by a local guy but I will be changing the camshaft and installing a better turbo and injectors.
    Wondering what hardware / software to buy that will serve me now, but also well into the future? I've purchased a dedicated laptop already and I'm anxious but nervous about getting started. I will need some rudimentary training as well.
    Any and all suggestions and assistance are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike in Colorado

I would invest in the MPVI2 and the PRO package. That will make it a breeze to add in a wideband oxygen sensor for tuning. The wideband will be required for tuning that turbo truck. The software stuff is free to download for anyone. Then buy the amount of credits that each vehicle requires. The supported vehicles list on the website will tell you how much each license will cost. Like your truck will cost 2 credits.

Reading forums and watching video's on youtube is helpful for getting started. The Tuning School offers books and course for tuning. There is also a book by Greg Banish called Engine Management Advanced Tuning that is a good read. The book is older but the stuff in the book is good stuff to read about.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.