Thread: Enable single mapped point

Enable single mapped point

2017 mustang coyote when enabling a single mapped point to tune torque table, timing table, speed density table etc do you turn off all mapped points except for the one being tuned and leave the distance tables alone to let the cams move as normal or turn off the HDFX and tune that single enabled table and cam point?

I was once told to tune every single MP one by one. I tried that and it doesn't work well.

I usually keep "blending" stock even in boosted tune. 99% of time I work on Torque Model and Speed Density and everything seems to be happy.

To answer your question - once MP is disabled other tables don't matter anymore.

Veeefour if i'm only trying to tune the mapped points one by one and then turn certain one back on.im running a holley intake manifold with IMRC disabled. Its hesitates some and i'm trying to tune that out. I changed the cam timing in mapped points 5-7 because it wouldn't stop bucking no matter what I did. I'm logging air load with an external map sensor to dial in my speed density tables.

Senior Tuner
    You would use one mapped point, turning them all off except one. With a single set of angles, come up with the calibration maps(borderline, mbt,SD,ect.) for that point(x,y). Save it. Put in another set of angles in that same mapped point and calibrate the tables. Save it. Repeat until you have all angles you plan on using covered.

You would then put the cam angles and calibrated tables into multiple mapped points of one calibration. It's not quick. It works best if you use the same MPs the stock calibration was using, and just change the cam angles values. Trying to change the path through the mapped points doesn't come out well with out redoing the snap to point and snap to line. Those tables have never really been defined well as what they do.

Logging mapped points and filtering a set of tables by them works fine too and might be a bit quicker, once you have a feel for how things need to end up. Eliminating cam movement simplifies things greatly for the less experienced. In 15+ there's 26 mapped points, but really only like 7-10 main ones like the 11-14s.

Thank you Murfie. That's the way I'm doing it now. I have tried a few different ways over the past couple of years and i figured out that when the cam angles in the mapped points tables are changed the speed density also needed to be fixed. I'm working that out with MPVI2 Pro logging an external map sensor to correct the speed density tables. The last question I have Is when dialing in the speed density tables using air load from my histogram should I populate the speed densitytable with average, max, or min values? Right now I am using average.

Thank you Veeefour and Murfie.

Tuner in Training
    You only need to use the MP's with a max of 30* EVC, that manifold isn't going to like the artificial EGR created with 50* EVC.

You can determine which cam positions you want to use, then set them in MP's 1-5 for example, and disable the snap to point function, it isn't needed. If you want to have a better starting point, open two of your cals in two separate windows of Editor. You'll notice that there are several MP's that have matching cam angles for IMRC open and closed. If you look at the speed density tables in the editor, you'll notice the IMRC closed tables nose-dive above roughly 3500 RPM. You can take the corresponding values from the matching IMRC open VE tables from 3500 and up, and copy them into the IMRC closed VE tables, then smooth, calculate, and double check for errors from the calculator in the quadratics. It might be helpful to remove or add in any Aircharge Multipliers from the MP's you're combining prior to using the VE calculator. You can also use this same process for tq and inv tables, and BKT and MBT tables. That will at least get you in the ballpark for most of the MP's. Of course, you should use stock tables when combining MP's as that's data that can, for the most part, be considered valid.

Then set your OP triggers for values that you won't/can't hit during typical drivability logging, which is what you're going to be doing to tune MP's. Then choose your first MP, and change all of the values in ECM 38223 (VCT Fuel Economy Mapped Points) to the MP you want to tune. This will force the MP you're trying to tune, but still allow good idle quality, because anytime you're off the throttle it will drop back into Optimal Stability and use the correct idle MP. This will make it 100 times easier to gather data, especially if you're doing this on the street. Just setup a filter for your histograms to ignore any data that's not over 2-3% acell pedal position, and it will filter out and data from Optimal Stability.

Things to note, keep it out of OP. Also you should be aware that some cam angles greatly increase cylinder pressures. Keep an eye on KR, and if need be, stop logging and adjust timing to keep KR in check. Gather as much data as you can for the MP, correct and calculate quadratics (check for errors), and log again. Interpolate the data you can't capture, because the calculator doesn't work well if you input an unrealistic trend. Remember, in general VE is going to increase with load and RPM. So you can't have a cell at .80 load and 4k rpm, that has a substantially higher VE than a cell at 1.0 load and 6k rpm.

That should get you going in the right direction.

Turning off the Variable Camshaft and VCT mode kept it in a single mapped point and I was able to correct SD. My IPC errors went from sky high to almost nothing and the car does not buck or hesitate at all in mapped point 0. Time to start on the rest of the mapped points.

Senior Tuner
    Think of it as the rest of the cam angles not the different mapped points. You are building one point at a time. Glad you got it sorted out, once you do a few different sets of angles it starts to get easier.