Thread: any idea were i went wrong? 2006 5.9 auto

any idea were i went wrong? 2006 5.9 auto

so i had my tune working pretty good then decided yesterday id try to make it a single event 12v tune and change my upshift and downshift requirements now iv got white smoke in the low and heavy black on the top endtrans adjusted tune.hpt

Banned
    I would reference the VP tune I have posted on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    I would reference the VP tune I have posted on the forum.
    Thanks Jim I will do that today. Have seen some of your post on here and read some good things about your work. What do your services cost?

Banned
    Currently not providing any tuning or services at the moment. Some time after the new year I?ll open back up again. I?ve just been way way too busy with other priorities the last few months and need to catch up on some stuff before I take on more in the tuning world.
    Last edited by Jim P; 12-10-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Banned
    Unless you are running a rail pressure sensor and POV rated at higher than 2000 bar and aftermarket injectors to take the abuse of higher pressure, don't run 2000 bar of fuel pressure. Highly pointless of setting commanded rail pressure that high anyways when your max limit is set at 1600 bar.

Banned
    Also, I wouldn't command fuel quantities above the axis limit of the pulsewidth table to the extent of what you are commanding. If you are desiring more fuel, get a bigger fuel system.

Tuner in Training
    Jim,
    I’d like to get a tune from you as well, when you do open up shop.
    But more than that, I’d like to learn how to do this for myself. I’ve been beating my head against the wall for 9 months Trying to get a tune on my own, but I just keep hitting dead-ends every time. I’ve got the HP academy diesel course, but nothing shows me how to work the logging on HP tuners, and sorry, I just don’t have $800 to throw at the course from HPT.
    I also blew a chunk on Optimal Welding’s tunes, which of course is locked and secret and crap!!
    So all that ranting to say, I’d love to get a QUALITY tune from a competent tuner who would be willing to let me learn from them.

Banned
    99% of tuning businesses only sell locked tunes, there?s a reason behind it. What did you find to be crap about Optimals tuning? Out of curiosity...
    Last edited by Jim P; 12-11-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Optimal welding make very good tune....street tune....thing that firepunk doesnt...but maybe good race tune
    Im also curious to see your issue with optimal
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

Banned
    I?ve heard very mix results with optimal, some like it and some hate it, some have issues with delete tuning from him as well

I tuned over 10 truck with his tune without issue at all
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

Banned
    Again, some dont like his tunes and some do and some have issues with his delete tunes, just saying...

Not everyone?s tuning is for everyone

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for the late reply. Jim, from the moment I got his tune, it was a Smokey mess on every setting. I told him this, and he insisted that it’s the truck.
    the VP option that he has was kind of fun, and the tunes ran well enough, but the truck was noticeably harder to start on any tune, and low end was not there. Also cruising was rocky, with sudden jolts while the cruise was on. Not enough to hurt the trans, but rough enough to not be comfortable to drive for long.
    This all was greatly amplified when I got bigger injectors. More dead low end, more smoke, more rough start and ride.
    (And less help from Optimal)

All that would’ve totally been a non-issue IF Matt would take the complainants seriously, and help fix the tune. Instead, he decides to blame the truck, and that I have various mechanical issues. Funny, I don’t have any issues on the stock tune, or when the old box-tuner was plugged in. And I don’t have any issues like this with my attempts at tuning, but when I throw his tune and switch on, it all goes to crap.
    Also, JUST LIKE FIREPUNK, he only wants a log when you’re on the all-out race tune. Hell, I don’t dare get on it with his race tune, for all the smoke chugging out of it.

Now, last time I loaded it at least, it’s stuck on one tune, and I can’t get him to troubleshoot why the switch stopped working.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSDiesel View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. Jim, from the moment I got his tune, it was a Smokey mess on every setting. I told him this, and he insisted that it’s the truck.
    the VP option that he has was kind of fun, and the tunes ran well enough, but the truck was noticeably harder to start on any tune, and low end was not there. Also cruising was rocky, with sudden jolts while the cruise was on. Not enough to hurt the trans, but rough enough to not be comfortable to drive for long.
    This all was greatly amplified when I got bigger injectors. More dead low end, more smoke, more rough start and ride.
    (And less help from Optimal)

All that would’ve totally been a non-issue IF Matt would take the complainants seriously, and help fix the tune. Instead, he decides to blame the truck, and that I have various mechanical issues. Funny, I don’t have any issues on the stock tune, or when the old box-tuner was plugged in. And I don’t have any issues like this with my attempts at tuning, but when I throw his tune and switch on, it all goes to crap.
    Also, JUST LIKE FIREPUNK, he only wants a log when you’re on the all-out race tune. Hell, I don’t dare get on it with his race tune, for all the smoke chugging out of it.

Now, last time I loaded it at least, it’s stuck on one tune, and I can’t get him to troubleshoot why the switch stopped working.
    Sounds horrible. A VP tune shouldn?t be hard to startup the engine either unless in quite low ambient temperatures then it will become harder start.

What?s the build of your truck?

i also got left in dark with optimal . got convinced to buy hptuner from him then never to hear from him again since then i have been trying to figure it out on my own for months now but dont want to screw up my truck . i want to learn but wow keep looking at software and get lost lol i was going to get his multi tune selector but not sure if i want to dump more money at this to get no where my brain hurts lol wife got me a new laptop for xmas just so i can get my truck tuned
    03 3500 drw auto
    70hp injectors
    4" turbo back straight
    fass fuel
    cold air

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    What?s the build of your truck?
    ?04.5, 265k miles, BBi stage 1s, S&B cai, B&D exhaust manifold, but stock turbo and pipe, no cat, and 35s w/3.55 gears