Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1998 Chevy c2500 Vortec 5.7l 350

Potential Tuner

1998 Chevy c2500 Vortec 5.7l 350

I am new two tuning this is my first attempt, and I am trying to set up my MAF histogram so I can use the paste special multiply by percentage - half feature. I have it so it will populate the information from my AFR gauge in lambda. But when I do the paste special it only ads enrichment to the fuel mixture it will not lean anything out. Does anyone know of a good step-by-step process to refer me to so I can set this histogram up correctly. I am assuming I?m doing something wrong. I believe I have the black box that everyone talks about I know that it is not the 411. Thank you in advance

Your histogram should show something like single digits for "Percent Error", "AFR Error", something like that. something like 5 to -5, or even 10 to -10, random values like that. That should be the percent error you have. You highlight the cells you want, hit COPY, then go into your editor MAF table and align and highlight same cells, that's where you select Mult By 1/2.

If you only see positive values in your histo, then that means it's lean by that amount, and that's how much it wants you to mult. by which will raise the number. If you see negative values, then that would mean it's rich, and copy/mult should reduce the value in your MAF cells by that percent.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    Your histogram should show something like single digits for "Percent Error", "AFR Error", something like that. something like 5 to -5, or even 10 to -10, random values like that. That should be the percent error you have. You highlight the cells you want, hit COPY, then go into your editor MAF table and align and highlight same cells, that's where you select Mult By 1/2.

If you only see positive values in your histo, then that means it's lean by that amount, and that's how much it wants you to mult. by which will raise the number. If you see negative values, then that would mean it's rich, and copy/mult should reduce the value in your MAF cells by that percent.
    Mine shows up in Lambda. ie 1.00, .99, .85 Where I?m having trouble is setting it up to show the percentage I don?t know how to do that. I?m looking for someone to explain how I can do that.

gotchya, you'll need to check out Tools/Maths/Lambda & AFR, you should see something like EQ Ratio Error? You dont really need to do anythign with it there, just look at it.

Then in your Histrograms/Graphs, setup this, I call mine "WB Err - Cyl Air", but you can have it "WB Err - HAF HZ", whatever you want.

Then, starting from the top
    Label: WB Err - Cyl Air
    Parameter: Find EQ Ratio Error (Math)
    Unit %
    Decimals: 0
    Cell hits: I have mine at 50
    High Value 15 (RED)
    Low Vaue -15 (Green)
    Column Axis: ENGINE SPEED (SENSOR), , Units RPM, Values.. make this match your Editor Tables, mine show 0 200 400 600 800 1000 1200... all the way up to redline. Oh, Header Cell Factor: 1000
    Row Axis: Cylinder Airmass (Sensor) - this is if your using Cyl Air, you can put it against whatever you want, like MAF HZ, etc, then same thing for the values, make them match your tune values: 0.08 0.12 .016... etc.
    Unit for that is g.

Somewhere in that window, Top Right ish, make sure it says "Average" for the data.

If you set it up against MAF HZ, then that will be your Column Axis since there is no second (X) axis in the Tune File.
    So, Column Axis will show "Mass Airflow Frequency (Sensor)",, Units: HZ, then make the Values match what are in your TUne file... 0 150 300 450 600...etc
    Last edited by 10_SS; 12-11-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Potential Tuner
    gotchya, you'll need to check out Tools/Maths/Lambda & AFR, you should see something like EQ Ratio Error? You dont really need to do anythign with it there, just look at it.

Then in your Histrograms/Graphs, setup this, I call mine "WB Err - Cyl Air", but you can have it "WB Err - HAF HZ", whatever you want.

Unit %
    High Value 15 (RED)
    Low Vaue -15 (Green)
    Column Axis: ENGINE SPEED (SENSOR), , Units RPM, Values.. make this match your Editor Tables, mine show 0 200 400 600 800 1000 1200... all the way up to redline. Oh, Header Cell Factor: 1000
    Row Axis: Cylinder Airmass (Sensor) - this is if your using Cyl Air, you can put it against whatever you want, like MAF HZ, etc, then same thing for the values, make them match your tune values: 0.08 0.12 .016... etc.
    Unit for that is g.

If you set it up against MAF HZ, then that will be your Column Axis since there is no second (X) axis in the Tune File.
    So, Column Axis will show "Mass Airflow Frequency (Sensor)",, Units: HZ, then make the Values match what are in your TUne file... 0 150 300 450 600...etc

Thanks I?ll give that a try.

Potential Tuner

Unit %
    High Value 15 (RED)
    Low Vaue -15 (Green)
    Unit for that is g.

Somewhere in that window, Top Right ish, make sure it says "Average" for the data.

So I tried that and it is not working. The only way that I can get any information to populate is if I make the first parameter that it logs my wideband. I tried to add EQ error ratio to the main channels to be logged but I do not have that option to add it. it does not exist in parameters that I am able to log. Is this possibly the problem I?m running into that my PCM just does not have the ability to log that information, or am I still doing something wrong. Is there a way that I can add my tune and possibly my log that I am trying to use that someone with more knowledge or experience could take a quick look at and tell me if I am an idiot or not lol.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Carcrazy5829 View Post
    So I tried that and it is not working. The only way that I can get any information to populate is if I make the first parameter that it logs my wideband. I tried to add EQ error ratio to the main channels to be logged but I do not have that option to add it. it does not exist in parameters that I am able to log. Is this possibly the problem I?m running into that my PCM just does not have the ability to log that information, or am I still doing something wrong. Is there a way that I can add my tune and possibly my log that I am trying to use that someone with more knowledge or experience could take a quick look at and tell me if I am an idiot or not lol.

this is carcrazy5829 my computer wouldn't let me log in for whatever reason. here is the tune file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    this is carcrazy5829 my computer wouldn't let me log in for whatever reason. here is the tune file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    You need to add EQ commanded to your channel list to use EQ ratio error in your MAF correction graph.

EQ commanded.PNG

Heres an xml. in the Graph display layout, click the folder icon, find this xml where you downloaded it to and open it. once you add EQ commanded to your channel list(using the gear and plus sign) you should see the graph populate and you can copy and paste special % half.

Graph display .PNG

EQ Err.Table.xml
    Last edited by murfie; 12-12-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    You need to add EQ commanded to your channel list to use EQ ratio error in your MAF correction graph.

EQ commanded.PNG

Heres an xml. in the Graph display layout, click the folder icon, find this xml where you downloaded it to and open it. once you add EQ commanded to your channel list(using the gear and plus sign) you should see the graph populate and you can copy and paste special % half.

Graph display .PNG

EQ Err.Table.xml
    Yes that's the problem but EQ Error isnt a scannable parameter, it's calcuated in Tools/Math/Lambda&AFR like you've shown, so it calculates Error using Air-Fuel Ratio (Sensor) and Air Fuel Ratio Commanded (Sensor) that are scannable. Looks like you dont have data for "EQ Rato Commanded" so the Error wont calculate. If you don't have those two in your list of scannables, then you'll have to do it a different way. You should have the Wideband 02 sensor, may not be called exactly the same thing, but not sure if you have the "Commanded" ratio. The older ECU's may not have the same items to scan as the newer ones, but the concept is the same.

You can troubleshoot this easier by adding Eq Ratio Err right onto your live charts with the others, to see if your getting values calculated, once you do, then you can focus on the Histograms.

See if you can find something like EQ Ratio Commanded or Commanded AFR, something like that in the available scanner Channels, you need something that says what the ECU is trying to achieve to be able to generate an error value from it. There has to be something available
    Last edited by 10_SS; 12-12-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Senior Tuner
    If you don't have one of these two in the attached picture, they are essential, try selecting repoll for supported parameters under vehicle in the scanner. If that doesnt work contact support for help getting them to show up.

Comand EQ.PNG

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    If you don't have one of these two in the attached picture, they are essential, try selecting repoll for supported parameters under vehicle in the scanner. If that doesnt work contact support for help getting them to show up.

Comand EQ.PNG

i have one of those kinda, it says low res on it. i did get it to register in the channels list but still nothing with the eq error, even in the live graph. do i need to make a custom math for the wideband to be added to the histogram?

Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (1).png

Tuner in Training
    i see you have something in the filtering location is that where the wideband needs added?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    i have one of those kinda, it says low res on it. i did get it to register in the channels list but still nothing with the eq error, even in the live graph. do i need to make a custom math for the wideband to be added to the histogram?

Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (1).png
    That should work, mostly the command is stoich or a relatively flat WOT power enrichment. Make sure to say yes to the generic sensor message if it pops up. Generic sensors work with charts/graphs/maths/etc. even if the channel used in them isn't the exact channel in the channel list. If you want to see an exact channel(like you have two different channels monitoring the same thing) you need to say no to use what you choose.

The filter is accelerator pedal needs to be GREATER THAN 2%, this filters out decel fuel cut off. If you are tuning idle delete it, if its a driving log add it back in. You have the wideband showing in your channel list already, and the graph xml I posted will use it.

Tuner in Training
    even with that table you sent im still not populating any data. i might have to try tech support and see what im missing. thanks for trying to help. theres gotta be something im missing lol. ive got it close by logging and guessing.

Senior Tuner
    Post the log with that channel, Ill make another xml

Senior Tuner
    Need to go up to tools and select math parameters. Select user math 19 and then the folder icon in the upper left. open this XML

AFR err.MathParameter.xml

Then heres the new graph XML.

User AFR Err.Table.xml

AFR ERR in graph.PNG

Tuner in Training
    so i added it to my existing log and it showed up! nice thanks!!!!. im guessing this is what its supposed to look like? ill do another scan when i get home from work.

Screenshot (2).png