Thread: 6L80E fast learn failing

Advanced Tuner

6L80E fast learn failing

What's up folks?

I'm trying to go a fast learn on this recently built 6L80E. Temps are good. Starts the process and when it gets to "Calibrating D", it sits there for a few seconds and then fails. Reflash the TCM, retry and it fails again. Tried a 3rd time and it fails again. Am I don't something wrong? Here is the log..

.20-12-12 20-47-08.hpl
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

i cant get mine to do a fast learn either. i warm it up to 175F. i might have to get it hotter like 180-200F

Do you have a High Stall converter? I know they will fail.
    I've also heard that "red" clutches (or any really "gripping" disk) will drop the clutch release pressure down below expected and will fail.

For those conditions I'm told guys just clear all the adaptive and drive carefully for a relearn process...

I just did my stock Camaro and had 2 failed tries, then tried this:
    Set Park brake, start the car, connect the scanner. Clear all adaptive. Apply brake (do not release), shift from Park to reverse 3 times... Start relearn process.
    I got the Shift Park/Reverse from a GM GDS procedure, not sure if it works, but it did for me..
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    I've also heard that "red" clutches (or any really "gripping" disk) will drop the clutch release pressure down below expected and will fail.

For those conditions I'm told guys just clear all the adaptive and drive carefully for a relearn process...

Set Park brake, start the car, connect the scanner. Clear all adaptive. Apply brake (do not release), shift from Park to reverse 3 times... Start relearn process.
    I got the Shift Park/Reverse from a GM GDS procedure, not sure if it works, but it did for me..
    Well, I guess my assumption was correct. I don't have a super high stall, just a ZL1 converter. And yeah, it has upgraded frictions. I kinda figured that would be an issue when I didn't hear the RPMs climb after it went to "Calibrating D". Oh well...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

i will try your recommendations on the park reverse 3x. .
    mine is all stock.

is there also a special procedure for the Trans cleaning mode??

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfool007 View Post
    i will try your recommendations on the park reverse 3x. .
    mine is all stock.

is there also a special procedure for the Trans cleaning mode??
    Hey 007 did this work for you?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post

Hey Dhoag

Any chance of getting a copy/link of the GM GDS for this?

https://etesupport.zendesk.com/hc/en...-Transmission-

I don't have the GDS right now (I only got the 3 day activation
    But that link spells it out just like I read it...
    I just did the relearn, I didn't do the garage shift or anything else

Hope this helps
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

too busy to get around to it. i also deleted my t-stat in the trans, so i'm having trouble hitting the temp window

Potential Tuner
    I was trying to complete the fast relearn after numerous tcm revisions, I have a super hard 1-2 & 2-3 shift. When I got to calibrating D RPMs went over 5k, I shifted out of D at that point & let it abort. Guessing that's not normal.

Did it ever shift OK? Any time I have a trans that won't do a fast relearn it is usually due to internal mechanical failure.