Thread: Running slightly different sized tires???

Running slightly different sized tires???

Long story short my truck is a rebuilt that I've had since about aug.

I have only just now noticed that when the people who repaired it replaced the right rear tire that it's just over 1/2" smaller.
    I have 3x AMP Terrain Gripper 315/70R17 121/118R OD 35.00 and one AMP Terrain Gripper 315/70/R17 121/118R OD 34.41

Would there be any reason that the replacement tire is a slightly different OD than the other 3?

What kinds of problems could I encounter like this?

The website for AMP says the tires are 34.41in for the Terrain Attack tires and 34.2in for the Terrain Pro's.

Not sure how you'd get tires that are 35's when they don't even come that big from AMP. Unless the other 3 tires you have are so old they are previous design of the same tire. Your DOT dates on the tires could explain that but that seems unlikely.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

it's not unlikely, the tires are long discontinued I think, only one tire was replaced because that's where the truck took the hit. so they left the 3 others, and I'm not even sure where they got this one.

If this "my truck" has an open rear diff I wouldn't worry about it. If it has some flavor of limited slip diff, I'd put the mismatch on the front axle. Unless your "my truck" is full time AWD, then you're screwed no matter where that tire goes...

Potential Tuner
    Personally, I won't be very comfortable having a different sized tire. I do have OCD, though.

Hmm, this is a problem. Even if you weren't a very good physicist in high school, let's think about it. I basically don't like the idea that the weight of the truck will sag at one corner. It's one thing if you were driving on a flat road and didn't notice much difference. Yes, the difference in tire size is really small, but if only you have to drive this wheel into a hole, then it will obviously not be fun. It's better to take a good set of toggle clamps, inspect everything and order the same wheels. Or go to a car repair shop.
    Last edited by desecid; 03-10-2022 at 05:38 AM.