Thread: GM Scan Tool Functionalities

Potential Tuner

GM Scan Tool Functionalities

Hi everyone,
    I'm just trying to do some man-maths on this gadget. Is it a substitute for a scan tool?
    I mean, can you activate valves and stuff?
    SI_ScanTool2.jpg

It's a substitute for a scan tool for a few things. If you need to get really involved with commands via a scan tool you should look into something designed for GM vehicles like a Tech 2 or GM MDI.

We can do simple stuff like idle changes, timing changes, fuel trim reset and learn, fan controls, trouble codes and a few other things. Not sure if the bi-directional controls can command waste gate functions on turbochargers.

I know this link is old so I don't know exactly how much of this is still supported. I'm not with my HP Tuners to see what is there at the moment.

https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_sc...cmcontrols.htm
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I have a SUBSTANTIAL increase in bidirectional control with my MDI, GDS2, and Tech2Win that with the HPtuners scanner. That being said the GM stuff I use is for diagnostic work. The tune stuff is for tuning. Apple oranges

Forgot to add. Techline Direct kicks butt. Helps me tons.

Potential Tuner
    What do you mean by Techline Direct?
    I'd like to turn an specific trouble code permanently off. Is it possible with MDI, GDS or Tech2?
    I'm sure it can be done with HP tuners, but I doubt the three above...

Quote Originally Posted by XploD View Post
    What do you mean by Techline Direct?
    I'd like to turn an specific trouble code permanently off. Is it possible with MDI, GDS or Tech2?
    I'm sure it can be done with HP tuners, but I doubt the three above...
    100% NO to the TL direct and anything GM. They would never let you turn on or off a code. Emissions/etc. You will only get that with aftermarket programming. Tech line direct is the new GM software system that is for approx 2012 to newer. It includes in it SI (Service Information) GDSII (Global Diagnostic 2) SPS (Service Programming System) and CANBUS diagnostic tool. Works seamlessly. Very nice system, I like it. It streamlines vehicle specific diagnostics, testing, and programming all in one. Only drawback is, it is all on one page and difficult to view on a laptop. I run straight to a big-screen TV for diag and then GDSII for road testing.