Thread: 2007 TBSS 4L80 Won't Segment Swap

Tuner in Training

2007 TBSS 4L80 Won't Segment Swap

I have a friend that put a 4L80 in his 2007 TBSS. I have searched the tune repository, I have searched the forums and seen similar posts. I'm able to find files that will segment swap the engine stuff but can not find anything that will allow me to segment swap the transmission. Those of you that believe you have a file that will work, please have a look at what's currently in the TBSS and see what you're able to do. I can't tune this thing until we get this segment swap done, so whatever help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

JB2007TBSS4.hpt

Thank you

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    its highly unlikely GM ever created a 4l80 calibration that matched the os id of a 4l60 calibration, I'm not sure what others have done in this case but I would assume they had to find a TCM from a 4l80 truck or something similar to get it to even closely work.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Bill.

Senior Tuner
    The easiest solution is to buy the swap harness for this application.

PCM of NC makes a nice one for it.

https://www.pcmofnc.com/product/pcm-...rsion-harness/

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder2 Racing View Post
    I have a friend that put a 4L80 in his 2007 TBSS. I have searched the tune repository, I have searched the forums and seen similar posts. I'm able to find files that will segment swap the engine stuff but can not find anything that will allow me to segment swap the transmission. Those of you that believe you have a file that will work, please have a look at what's currently in the TBSS and see what you're able to do. I can't tune this thing until we get this segment swap done, so whatever help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Here's the file I have from a 4L80 swapped 2007 TBSS. I havent fully tuned this since the swap but the owner states that the trans works. Would have been mice if the people that designed this would have given some info about how to do this. Compare it to your current TCM file and you will see that there aren't many changes. BTW, you will still need the harness.

Hope this helps!

12102020_CurrentWith4L80TCMSettings.hpt
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Kevin and Jay. Appreciate the help.

Senior Tuner
    Ship me the TCM and I'll put a real 4L80 calibration in it. Running a 80 on a 60 calibration is a hack. Do it right.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 12-17-2020 at 11:38 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Ship me the TCM and I'll put a real 4L80 calibration in it. Running a 80 on a 60 calibration is a hack. Do it right.
    Thats not a "hack" That calibration came from the folks that make that kit. If you feel that its REALLY a hack, post YOUR file and let the OP flash it on his TCM.

Merry Christmas
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)

Tuner in Training
    Thanks fellas. He's getting the plug and tcm that should allow it to work. Appreciate everyones help.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    Thats not a "hack" That calibration came from the folks that make that kit. If you feel that its REALLY a hack, post YOUR file and let the OP flash it on his TCM.

Merry Christmas
    It is a hack regardless what you say. Using a 4L60 calibration with just the gear ratios changed is not the proper way to do a 80 swap.You need to run a 4L80 with the proper calibration. What I have is a raw .bin file for just the TCM read out of a 07 Suburban with a 6.0L 4L80. I use Tunercat with a bench harness to flash it into T42s. I doubt the OP can do anything with it. I would also do it for just the cost of shipping the TCM back.

Advanced Tuner
    It is a hack regardless what you say. Using a 4L60 calibration with just the gear ratios changed is not the proper way to do a 80 swap.You need to run a 4L80 with the proper calibration. What I have is a raw .bin file for just the TCM read out of a 07 Suburban with a 6.0L 4L80. I use Tunercat with a bench harness to flash it into T42s. I doubt the OP can do anything with it. I would also do it for just the cost of shipping the TCM back.
    That file has a different TCM OS number than a stock TBSS has. The owner bought the TCM from the people that made the 4L80E swap kit. I verified that the OS numbers were different because I was a little skeptical myself. Actually when I looked the OS number up, it came back to something with a 4L80E trans in it. Pull a stock TBSS file and you'll see what I'm talking about. And the trans works just fine. I need to change the calibration but it still works.

But I'm not here to bicker back and forth. Just trying to help the OP out.

Senior Tuner
    I'm referring to the PCM of NC cable that they say doesn't require any segment swapping or ISS. I didn't even look at your file.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm referring to the PCM of NC cable that they say doesn't require any segment swapping or ISS. I didn't even look at your file.
    Oh ok. The owner didn't get his kit from them. I can't remember who he got it from but it did cost a pretty penny.

Advanced Tuner
    Use the 07 Burb TCM file, it'll work with 06 and 07 TBSS T42s, control the 80E, and play nice with both E40 and E67 ECM OSs. For 06 TBSS, it's the same TCM OS as the factory one so you can just segment swap it. For 07, it needs to be full flashed over the stock 07 TCM OS to change the TCM OS. You could use the file posted above to do this onto your existing setup, but you'll have to license it for 2 credits (unless you have 07 TBSS or Gen IV trucks unlocked) and DON'T flash the ECM side. Then read it out and have your new base file.

The file posted above has the correct 24235341 TCM OS and proper TCM segments in it to run this swap. Didn't look at anything else, so not sure what the shift timing, speedo, tcc, or everything else looks like. I'd recommend going through that and using the BlueCat tool to get sane values for it.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; 12-18-2020 at 03:33 PM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    The file posted above has the correct 24235341 TCM OS and proper TCM segments in it to run this swap. Didn't look at anything else, so not sure what the shift timing, speedo, tcc, or everything else looks like. I'd recommend going through that and using the BlueCat tool to get sane values for it.

Are you referring to the file I posted? I'm actually tuning the TBSS I was referring to this evening. And I have the Bluecat Trans Tool. Easy peezy...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    Are you referring to the file I posted? I'm actually tuning the TBSS I was referring to this evening. And I have the Bluecat Trans Tool. Easy peezy...
    Yep, and yep!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned