Thread: 2011 VW GTI write tune file issue

Tuner in Training

2011 VW GTI write tune file issue

Hey guys, any MK6 GTI users having issues writing the tune file to the ecu? VCM Editor gets to the 2nd erase phase after doing the initial write phase and freezes and doesn't proceed. I get the following screen where the Write and Close buttons become ungreyed out and are clickable. I tried waiting 5-10 minutes but the MPVI2 transfer data light turns off and doesn't blink. I tried multiple times with the latest Beta releases but same thing occurs. After it freezes, I can restore the stock calibration and VCM Editor does the 3.5 minute write sequence and writes the stock calibration to the ecu. I'm on the latest Beta 4.9.4 and the ecu is MED17.5. I have a support ticket open but wanted to get feedback from you guys as HP Tuners hasn't responded back to me yet. Thanks.

Screen Shot 12-17-20 at 09.09 PM.JPG

11.962 @ 117.14mph-AFE dry air filters, ROW boxes, & stock tune - 2/25/16
    12.214 @ 115.22mph-AFE dry air filters, ROW boxes, & EC V5 dyno tune - 4/21/16
    12.057 @ 115.97mph-AFE dry air filters, ROW boxes, & EC V6 tune - 2/3/17
    12.067 @ 116.30mph-AFE dry air filters, ROW boxes, MBH headers, midpipes, X-pipe, & EC V7 header tune - 3/25/18
    11.844 @ 119.14mph-AFE dry air filters, ROW boxes, MBH headers, Quaalude midpipes w/Mag. cats & Vibrant mufflers, X-pipe, & Quaalude HP Tuner tune - 12/6/18

Tuner in Training
    HP Tuners support was able to help me out (thanks HP Tuners Support!). I had to write "Restore Stock Calibration" and right afterwards do a "Write Entire" of the stock calibration that was initially read with VCM Editor. After clicking "Write Entire", VCM Editor did the 3.5 minute write sequence just like the "Restore Stock Calibration" did. Now, I'm able to write modified tune calibrations to the PCM with "Write Calibration" and it only takes 32 seconds to erase and write the new tunes. BTW, I was running a Cobb Tuning OTS Stage 2 tune and reflashed to stock tune before trying to write the HP Tuners calibration file so maybe that had something to do with the error.

12.067 @ 116.30mph-AFE dry air filters, ROW boxes, MBH headers, midpipes, X-pipe, & EC V7 header tune - 3/25/18
    11.844 @ 119.14mph-AFE dry air filters, ROW boxes, MBH headers, Quaalude midpipes w/Mag. cats & Vibrant mufflers, X-pipe, & Quaalude HP Tuner tune - 12/6/18

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks. Good to know
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Advanced Tuner
    Don't mean to insult your intelligence or anything possibly, but you did the full install on the AP right? Not just flash to stage 0 or whatever. Sounds like it mighta done something funky on the uninstall process. I'm on MK7/8V, and flashed back and forth between platforms a few times. Haven't had an issue yet, but good to know.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    Don't mean to insult your intelligence or anything possibly, but you did the full install on the AP right? Not just flash to stage 0 or whatever. Sounds like it mighta done something funky on the uninstall process. I'm on MK7/8V, and flashed back and forth between platforms a few times. Haven't had an issue yet, but good to know.
    I bought the Accessport used so I updated the firmware on the Accessport to the latest revision from Cobb using Accessport Manager. I downloaded the latest calibrations and did the full install and was running their OTS stage 2 tune. I uninstalled the Cobb tune so I can sell the unit now that HP Tuners supports this vehicle and I can tune the vehicle myself instead of relaying on someone else with Accesstuner Pro. I've tune multiple cars with HP Tuners and never ran into this issue. My Merc C63 was running a Eurocharged V6 tune and I was able to write over that tune with HP Tuners with no issues. Only had issue on my GTI (daily driver).

Quote Originally Posted by quaalude View Post
    HP Tuners support was able to help me out (thanks HP Tuners Support!). I had to write "Restore Stock Calibration" and right afterwards do a "Write Entire" of the stock calibration that was initially read with VCM Editor. After clicking "Write Entire", VCM Editor did the 3.5 minute write sequence just like the "Restore Stock Calibration" did. Now, I'm able to write modified tune calibrations to the PCM with "Write Calibration" and it only takes 32 seconds to erase and write the new tunes. BTW, I was running a Cobb Tuning OTS Stage 2 tune and reflashed to stock tune before trying to write the HP Tuners calibration file so maybe that had something to do with the error.
    I'm having a similar issue with a Mk7 GTI. After uninstalling the AP (EQT stq2 & DSG tune), I tried multiple times the write files with HPT with no success and ended up installing the AP back on.
    After seeing this comment, I am trying to use HPT again. I've uninstalled the AP completely, performed a complete "Restore Stock Calibration" and now I'm in the process of trying to preform the "Write Entire" with the original file. The first thing I get is a prompt stating the software (I think the PCM) needs updating and that this can take up to 20 mins.

It appears to freeze @ 40% and the remaining time just keeps increasing. I can't abort or do anything like it's frozen. The only thing I can do id turn the engine off and and shut the Editor down with Task Manager.
    Screenshot 2023-04-30 123016.png

Is this normal or is there something else I can do?
    Last edited by vndetta79; 04-30-2023 at 12:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Definitely not normal. I went back and forth a bit between Cobb and HPT and never had such an issue. The first flash does take extra long to unlock the ECU. If the Cobb AP was still installed, then it wouldn't be able to flash it at all. Either way, something weird is going on during the unlock but I'm not sure what.

Have you tried using the latest beta software to see if that yields a better result? Otherwise I would create a ticket with support, they can probably see the logs and get a better idea what the issue is.

Definitely not normal. I went back and forth a bit between Cobb and HPT and never had such an issue. The first flash does take extra long to unlock the ECU. If the Cobb AP was still installed, then it wouldn't be able to flash it at all. Either way, something weird is going on during the unlock but I'm not sure what.

Have you tried using the latest beta software to see if that yields a better result? Otherwise I would create a ticket with support, they can probably see the logs and get a better idea what the issue is.
    Yes Sir! Latest Beta with a new MPVI3. Upgraded from the old MPVI2. I initially started tuning the GTI with HP tuners and was happy with the mild changes. Decided to try the AP with EQT tunes to see what the difference was. I know what the AP is married with the stg2 and DSG tune I can't see many fields with the HPT scanner. I unmarried the AP today, flashed it with HPT (Restore to Stock) and that is fine. The car runs and drives fine beside the engine light for the dump pipe. But I then try to "write entire" with the OG file and Editor just freezes at 40%.
    I'm going to try again later in the week with my battery tender set to 15amps and see how that goes. I did notice the 3rd time I tried today, all the electronics went haywire for a bit and I think it was just slightly low voltage with the battery tender set to auto.
    I'm hoping that's it coz I actually preferred my own DSG tune of the EQT one.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, low battery can cause all sorts of weird issues for sure. I know Cobb can be very picky about that, havent seen that with HPT but who knows.

My car was throwing a LPFP ground code constantly-- new battery resolved it. Weird stuff.

Looks like it might be sorted out. The battery tender certainly helped but I did the ECM separate to the TCM. Initially I was trying to flash both at the same time.

Well that didn't work. I don't know what it is but I can load a tune but the calibration never changes. I took it for a drive after flashing it with a modified file and it felt completely stock, no response, laggy. I got back home and just did a read of the file I loaded up and it wasn't modified. It's completely stock.

Advanced Tuner
    The read function is a virtual read on these-- it's downloaded from their servers. The ECUs don't have a read function over OBD. A lot of these calibrations have bunch of different torque limiters and such, it's more likely you're hitting one of those and not making much more power over stock tune or something like that.

The read function is a virtual read on these-- it's downloaded from their servers. The ECUs don't have a read function over OBD. A lot of these calibrations have bunch of different torque limiters and such, it's more likely you're hitting one of those and not making much more power over stock tune or something like that.
    OK, thanks. That's good to know. I haven't adjusted any of the torque settings yet.

This is the tune I'm loading. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    GTI 025.hpt